Shopping for a Subwoofer...

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Mudcat said:
Living near a dealer in Northern VA which happens to sell Mercedes, Ferrari's and Lambos, and another dealer which sells Toyotas, and having both an MB and a Toyota. I can guarentee that my MB (E430) and all Ferraris spend more time on the lift than any Toyota ever would. In fact, a friends 356 spent about 90 days in the shop for the three years he owned it, my wife's Sienna spent about 4 days (all scheduled maintenance). This is typical not an exception.

You really like being insulting don't you.
Notice I did not end that sentence with a question mark?

Just out of curosity, do you (AV-pile) have a technical degree - something that required a bit of intelligence to obtain, or a bachelor or arts.

Sorry I left the h out. :D
Well so are you. And I didn't know you have to have a degree to opine in this forum. But to list down my academic degrees would be stooping down to your curiosity that I find less than appealing or worthwile to indulge in.

Last edited:
A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
cbraver said:
Excuse the delay in response, I have been busy. Sure B&W has higher standards (as a general sense) then some brand at Best Buy, but they also charge more. If I worked at the sleezy speaker company you speak of, they would probably have lower standards then the studio speaker company down the road, but the studio company also charges more for their product. It goes back to the "you get what you pay for attitude." Manufactures get the highest price they think they can get for a product, or you can reverse that and say they make the cheapest product for a given price. My statement was a general one applying to the products as a whole, not a specific aspect of them. It's also a glass half empty way to look at it, intended to be of humourous nature and small talk.

-Chad
Ofcourse, you get what you pay for. Up to a point, beyond which the law of diminishing returns apply. Or even zero returns. And finding out at what point that is is entirely up to your own personal value judgement.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
You get what you are duped for, you never get what you pay for.

L

lejack

Enthusiast
I would strongly advise trying Hsu...fantastic...non-boomy, deep and las oud as you want.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
definately think about HSU. i just bought a vtf-2 mk2 and couldnt be happier. my room is nowhere near as large as yours, but you could go with the larger vtf-3. it's right around your original price at $699. with my vtf2 in a 12x20x2 story room, i only have the gain at about 1/5 of the max and it still shakes the walls w/o being boomy at all. very tight, deep sound.

D

Duke

Audiophyte
Sw900

If you still are looking, check out the JM lab SW900. It very good and powerful. It should have no problem filling your room. Masive output but tight as a drum.
:D
Should be on everyones short list
It list for $1750 US
I think it is a bargin
Just my thoughts...

I know what I like when I hear it

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The JM sub might be nice, but bear in mind what Tom said: "So... I am looking to replace my second YST-800. What I'm hoping for is suggestions on a sub that is as good, or better, in the $600-$999 range."

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Hsu STF3 or Outlaw sub best sub under $1000 hands down..... My STF2 is superb and is much better than any sub I have heard in its price range. I was skeptical at first but now I am a believer.

Remember as Hsu tech told me Hsu subs reach Max volume at 11 o'clock on the dial so saying your sub is shaking the walls at 1/2 volume is really full volume. You can easily boost it to the moon with your receiver sub output though as needed.

Heard the JM Labs Chorus S 700SW Damn good sub for the buck but it only went down to about 40Hz. Still one of the tighest and fastest hitting subs around, so I can imagine how the bigger one sounds....

Last edited:
D

Duke

Audiophyte
RE:JM Sub

If the 900 is too much than you might just want to check out the SW800. It is very good in its own right. I think it might be closer to your range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis