Shocking find with Definitive Technology BP 20 towers

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I still take Goldenear Tritons over Def Tech 9000s any day.

S

Snowpuppy

Enthusiast
How do they compare to monopoles?? Very cool does anyone make affordable towers these days ? I don’t see many of this style ..
op got a good deal haha !!
Would be nice for the movie bedroom .
Could be a while til I ever upgrade don’t use that system a lot anymore.
These bipoles completely blow away monopoles for home theater, at least in my room. Over the years I’ve used various Polk Audio speakers (their better speakers, not their cheap stuff), Martin Logans, Paradigm reference studio’s, NHT’s, Klipsch, Energy, B&W, & others, and nothing has sounded this good for home theater.

I got them hooked up the way I wanted, and re-ran the MCACC calibration software in my Pioneer Elite SC-37, and sat down with my wife to watch a couple of movies. I immediately noticed a huge difference, but I kept my opinions to myself, as I didn’t want to influence her in any way. Normally when I change speakers out she either doesn’t comment on the new speakers, or just says something like “these sound pretty good”, but this time was definitely different. She kept looking around, and she was jumping from the sounds coming from the rear speakers as well. Finally she said “these speakers are awesome, I can’t believe what a difference they make”! I asked her to elaborate, and she said that the various sounds were coming from all around her, instead of sounding like it was coming from the speaker behind her, and that it sounded better than being in the movie theater. I have to agree. The way the sound envelopes you, yet still comes from where it’s supposed to is pretty awesome. These provide a much bigger sound field, and they just “work” with Dolby Digital/Dolby HD/DTS Master Audio much better than monopoles can, at least in my room. At this point I wouldn’t even consider going back to monopoles for HT, as it would be a downgrade.

S

Snowpuppy

Enthusiast
I still take Goldenear Tritons over Def Tech 9000s any day.
I haven’t heard Goldenear Tritons yet (and they make 7 different models I think), hopefully one day I’ll be able to check them out, I’ve heard good things about a couple of the Triton models. As much as I’m enjoying my Def Tech & Paradigm BP’s, I wouldn’t bother with Def Tech 9k’s simply because they have powered subs built in. Speakers with powered subs eventually always have the same problem, the amps for those subs always end up failing, either on one or both speakers. I’d rather have passive speakers and just run 2 subs, it will always sound better. My Paradigm & Def Tech BP’s are still running strong after 25+ years of use. Good luck getting 10 years out of speakers with powered subs.

That said, I’m not sure what your point is. This is a thread about Definitive BP20’s (and 30’s as a surprise), not Definitive speakers in general. It’s also not a thread for Goldenear speakers. I get it, you like your speakers, and I’m happy for you. However, posting stuff like “I’ll still my Goldenear Tritons over Def Tech 9000’s” is basically just thread crapping. If you want to complain about Definitive’s 9000 series, go find the appropriate thread. If you want to brag about your Goldenear speakers, I’m sure there’s a thread for that too. We’re talking about completely different speakers than the ones you had. If you started a thread about Klipschorns, and someone started talking about how their Klipsch Promedia 2.1 was a letdown, and then kept posting about how great their KEF LS50’s were, and how they’d take them over Klipsch any day, you’d probably wonder why they’re posting there too. That’s exactly what you’ve done here. I’m glad you like your speakers. We like ours too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis