Shielding/Protecting Banana Plugs

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
The Affinity plugs from Monoprice look to be a similar version to the Sewell Silverbacks. I remember the first time I ever laid hands on the dual screw down banana plug was about 19 years ago. They shipped with Rotel amplifiers and had a plastic (not aluminum) casing to protect the plug. They worked phenomenally well. I've had versions over the years that have appeared to be identical, but most were never built as well as those Rotel plugs were. Not sure who actually manufactured them for Rotel.

The basic concept of two screws locking the cable in place along with a non-conductive cover that is color coded is a no-brainer to me. At some point I found a company I really liked and I picked up a couple hundred. I've been using them with my clients for the last few years and they work great.
You just taught me something new: screws to lock the cable in place! Why aren't things like this standard? Thanks for the input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You just taught me something new: screws to lock the cable in place! Why aren't things like this standard? Thanks for the input.
Yeah my first banana plugs were a "crimp" type which I found just harder to use and not as secure. Double set screws are the jam! :)

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
Yeah my first banana plugs were a "crimp" type which I found just harder to use and not as secure. Double set screws are the jam! :)
Link to a product page? Thanks in advance. I thought I was a loser who didn't know how to terminate speaker cable. Meanwhile I've terminated Cat6 and coax several times over w/ no problems.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Link to a product page? Thanks in advance. I thought I was a loser who didn't know how to terminate speaker cable. Meanwhile I've terminated Cat6 and coax several times over w/ no problems.
See those monoprice I linked in post 10 on page 1! ;)

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
Yeah you did. Thanks. Guess I missed that dual screw part in the description. That's awesome. All banana plugs should have that design.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it possible to prevent banana plugs from conducting if/when they touch by wrapping the metal housing in shrink tube or electrical tape? Banana plugs that touched in a close terminal setup blew a few fuses in my amps. Luckily that seems to have been the only damage, but it could have been worse I'm sure. Why aren't banana plugs sold with a protective outer layer like all other cable have (RCA)? But most important is will that e-tape solution work so if they're in close proximity I can set my mind at ease?
If they can touch, don't use them or use something that can't reach from one post to another.

As I have written a hundred times, banana plugs aren't necessary. They were originally intended for lab/commercial use when making connections is frequent and people are on the clock. The problem started when manufacturers followed the stupid lead of wire peddlers who got people to believe the myth that ridiculously heavy wire was absolutely the only way to connect speakers that may only handle 30 Watts or they would be considered the same as lepers. This led to extremely crowded rear panels and when long, metal plugs are used, your problem becomes too common.

These won't short and they sound the same as the expensive ones. That means, don't worry about how they sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis