Sherwood Newcastle 963t

Stratocat0

Stratocat0

Audiophyte
Hey all,

I'm new the forum and have been reading a bit here and there. I received a Sherwood Newcastle 963t as a gift, and it recently stopped working correctly. It turns on, allows me to switch all inputs, etc. and change the DSP settings, etc. but will not output sound.

I still need to do a bit more troubleshooting, but most likely the unit will need some service.

I couldn't find much info about this receiver on these forums (probably because its very old, and an "off brand") but I did read some fairly good things about this receiver. I certainly had no complaints for the years that it worked.

My big debate is should I investigate whats wrong with it and try to have it serviced, or should I try to bite the bullet and get a current model (although my budget is very limited). I've been looking at some "entry level receivers" but I may have a better one already in my possession, that just needs fixin'. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance for all your help and comments.

Dan

Stratocat0

Stratocat0

Audiophyte
no one has any experience or feedback with this receiver?

I guess I have to lean toward a cheaper new receiver like the pioneer 521k or somehting like that...

Thansk,
Dan

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
I think SN receivers are pretty good, especially for the $$$$.

Yours lacks HDMI, but otherwise it's a nice unit. Go to the SherwoodUSA web site and see where the closest service center is.

Or look for a replacement on eBay.

Jim

Stratocat0

Stratocat0

Audiophyte
Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the website and there is a service center not too far from me, I will contact them to see what they think.

I have searched craigslist for replacements and for now what I can find that looks any good is

Yamaha HTR-5550 - $30
Onkyo Integra 6.6 - $125
Onkyo TX-NR801 - $120

I was thinking of doing one of these for a while, until I save up money for a better unit or have the 963t fixed.

Any input?

Thanks,
Dan

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
Search in eBay under Sherwood Newcastle receiver.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the website and there is a service center not too far from me, I will contact them to see what they think.

I have searched craigslist for replacements and for now what I can find that looks any good is

Yamaha HTR-5550 - $30
Onkyo Integra 6.6 - $125
Onkyo TX-NR801 - $120

I was thinking of doing one of these for a while, until I save up money for a better unit or have the 963t fixed.

Any input?

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis