Shelf System advice

S

ScttLee

Audiophyte
Looking to replace an older Hi-Fi system. My current system is 38 years old and is falling apart. The receiver has static if the volume knob is not jiggled and the JBL speakers are starting to rattle (foam around the speakers has deteriorated, may be repairable but I don't know how). At my age, I no longer need all the power. But I still want good sound.
I am looking for a shelf system with good volume and sound quality, removable speakers, Bluetooth, and USB thumb drive that can access near 5000 songs in various genres that can play back in random order. And on retired income, I can't spend a lot either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you mean by shelf system, can you elaborate? Also an actual budget would help....

The speakers can have their surrounds replaced, not horribly hard to do with the proper kit but there are still speaker repair places around....altho depending which model may not be worth the effort either.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would get a pair of powered speakers and a processor that can accommodate your media.

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
Looking to replace an older Hi-Fi system. My current system is 38 years old and is falling apart. The receiver has static if the volume knob is not jiggled and the JBL speakers are starting to rattle (foam around the speakers has deteriorated, may be repairable but I don't know how). At my age, I no longer need all the power. But I still want good sound.
I am looking for a shelf system with good volume and sound quality, removable speakers, Bluetooth, and USB thumb drive that can access near 5000 songs in various genres that can play back in random order. And on retired income, I can't spend a lot either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When you say "removable speakers" are you referring to an "all-in-one" system? Not sure if those are made anymore.

A small system might be a newer DAC/Streamer/Amp option.
1) Bluesound Node 2i is a good one with a great interface and I believe includes an amp to connect whatever speakers you want to it.

2) Yamaha WXA-50 is another option with a decent MusicCast interface and includes the USB connection you're looking for (among others) and has (1) RCA in for additional analog connection (as well as an optical in for digital connection).

3) Arylic Wireless Amp A50 is the cheapest of the 3 and should get the job done. It includes USB as well.

Those are very small devices and will sit on a shelf. There are plenty of good inexpensive speakers you can pair with these. For cheap (under $100) look at Dayton Audio B652-AIR OR Monoprice MP-65RT (both around $50) with more than adequate sound.

Not sure what your budget is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis