Sharc Processor with LG CX and PS5

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
I recently purchased a eARC convertor called the Sharc from Thenaudio. Their claim is to be able to extract the uncompressed audio codecs from devices hooked up to the tv and then thru their box and back to your receiver by using the tv's eARC output which connects to the Sharc processor and then uses a HDMI input on your older receivers.
I'm primarily using it so I can run my Sony PS5 directly into the LG CX's HDMI 2.1 input to take advantage of all the newer gaming features. And with the Sharc I'm suppose to then be able to send the audio signal back to my Anthem MRX 720 receiver and get uncompressed audio codecs like Atmos or DTS: X. So upon hooking everything up and using The Hobbit 4K as a test disc, I get the following info. Attached pictures show info on the CX using the freesync menu, the display menu from the CX, the input signal on the Anthem with the sampling rate. So upon testing it seems that it's passing the Atmos signal as the display says Atmos 48kH Lossless. So I'm assuming the Sharc is doing its job, so I'm looking for confirmation that I did everything correctly.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Pic #2 does not come up so can't see if atmos is coming over to the receiver. No worries, but don't confuse uncompressed with lossless. Dolby TrueHD and DTS:X are lossless but are also compressed. If the Anthem display shows atmos, then atmos metadata is coming over with the TrueHD track. So, it worked! Joy!

B

BengalCatKilo

Enthusiast
Pic #2 does not come up so can't see if atmos is coming over to the receiver. No worries, but don't confuse uncompressed with lossless. Dolby TrueHD and DTS:X are lossless but are also compressed. If the Anthem display shows atmos, then atmos metadata is coming over with the TrueHD track. So, it worked! Joy!
I was curious that Anthem
Thanks for the reply, my only other question is 48khz a normal bit rate for a 4K UHD Blu-ray movie as I don't have anything else to compare it to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was curious that Anthem

Thanks for the reply, my only other question is 48khz a normal bit rate for a 4K UHD Blu-ray movie as I don't have anything else to compare it to.
A better question is if it is 96khz does it make any difference? It's not a bit rate, it's a sample rate (in that a sample rate is twice the possible highest frequency in the content). Bit rate would be 16, or 24, etc and is more important in the recording process than the reproduction process....

B

bizzibee

Audiophyte
SHARC-V2 8k eARC Audio Processor

ENABLE ANY SOUND SYSTEM TO ACCEPT TV eARC/ARC SOUND FORMATS UP TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL

Two HDMI 2.1 48Gbps FRL6 inputs

Video support: All formats up to 48Gbps FRL6 from any HDMI source, such as 4k120 444 10/12bit VRR, 8k60, and others

Audio support: All formats, such as lossless MAT Atmos, TrueHD, DTS:X IMAX, DTS-MA, PCM 7.1 192kHz 24bit, and others

See:
https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-v2-8k-earc-audio-processor/

More very important info here regarding the improvements made to the Sharc V2:
https://www.thenaudio.com/2021/12/05/sharc-v2-earc-processor/

SHARC-V2 Online Manual:
https://www.thenaudio.com/2022/01/12/sharc-v2-online-manual/

** SHARC V1 is discontinued due to component sourcing issues. Sharc V2 replaces V1 and is orderable **

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis