STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Can someone please tell me why so many use the word "sexy" when refering to HT equipment?

Am I the only one who finds this odd/disturbing?

If the device had an hourglass shape like a woman I could almost understand but...:confused:

SBF1

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Some people are aroused in a way by electronics. Myself being one of them.

For example, this would qualify (for me) as sexy:

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
107 posts

A search for the word "sexy" returns 107 hits. I wasn't about to read them all, but it would seem that you are right. I have no idea. Probably going to need Dr Phil for this one. ;)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Yep, I do agree that this word is over used in audio lala land.

I for one like my stereo equipment to be modern looking, but I wouldn't necessarily want them to be "sexy" looking. I mean, after all they are just machines, not the real thing.:p

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
Looks like a SSP. What is it? I ask only because its front looks so sexy (read as clean :)).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My wife whispers Extron part numbers in my ear...

It's all I need.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For the record, I use the word "Sexeh", NOT sexy.

BTW, Jaxvon, that thing is Sexeh!

SheepStar

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
STRONGBADF1 said:
Can someone please tell me why so many use the word "sexy" when refering to HT equipment?

Am I the only one who finds this odd/disturbing?

If the device had an hourglass shape like a woman I could almost understand but...:confused:

SBF1
People often say things that they do not mean literally. Many, when using the word "sexy" to describe audio equipment, mean things like "visually attractive", "sleek", or something similar. Others are sick and twisted and are sexually aroused by audio and video equipment. And yes, it can be somewhat disturbing, but it is too common for me to presently wish to call it "odd", though I suppose it depends upon which of the common definitions one employs for that term. I love some of my audio equipment; some of it is even beautiful, but I do not find it sexually arousing. But I satisfy my sexual desires in very old-fashioned ways that have been employed for many thousands of years, which not everyone does. Sometimes, when people deny their sexuality, it displays itself in ways that many do not regard as normal. For more on such things, you may wish to read up on human psychology. I remember a young woman telling me that when she was a little girl, a priest she knew liked to bounce quarters off of his erect ... well, to keep those running this site happy, I will censor myself and not say what part of his anatomy he used, but if the little girls around him could catch the quarters before they hit the ground, they could keep them. Now, I would never have been able to dream up such an activity, much less enjoy it, but it is an example of what can happen when one is sexually repressed. (Of course, being sexually repressed is not quite the same as simply not having sex, but I will leave the details of this for you to explore in reading about psychology.)

You could just as well have raised the question in connection with cars or other objects about which many people are passionate. The response is the same as above.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
jaxvon said:
Some people are aroused in a way by electronics. Myself being one of them.

Hey jaxvon,

Aroused....STEP AWAY FROM THE HT EQUIPMENT!!!:p

And what was that port noise I heard coming from your dorm room???:D

SBF1

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
BMXTRIX said:
My wife whispers Extron part numbers in my ear...

It's all I need.
Hi BMXTRIX,

Better watch out...Members will be sending you pm's for pictures of your wife holding electronics!:eek:

SBF1

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
For the record, I use the word "Sexeh", NOT sexy.

BTW, Jaxvon, that thing is Sexeh!

SheepStar
Yo Sheep, (Philadelphia suburb don't ya now)

So that's the Canadian spelling eh?

SBF1

p.s. The Flyers are starting to worry me.:(

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My post is more a joke than anything else. Please don't take it personal or seriously. It's just kinda funny the things we all say sometimes.

Just wanted to see the reaction I would get.:D

Yes I have a strange sense of humor...

SBF1

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis