B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
im hoping my new sub shows up tomorrow so i thought i would ask a couple of reciever questions before it gets here. i have a marantz 7010 reciever. in the setting i have the bass crossover set for 120Hz so on the sub the crossover should be turned off? also which one should be selected LFE or
LFE+MAIN be selected? thanks for any help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass crossover means what? That the LPF of LFE setting you're thinking about? Leave that at 120 if so, that's the usual limit of LFE channel content (the .1 channel in content that has that). The low pass filter on your sub should be maxed out (and sometimes the LFE input alone does that with some subs) so as not to interfere with the avr bass management. I prefer LFE with a crossover.....some prefer the doubling up of bass frequencies using LFE+Main.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Settings could depend on your current speakers but LFE is more common. As mentioned above, LFE+Main sends bass to both the sub and mains.

Note that there should be two settings. The setting for the LFE channel controls what gets sent to the subwoofer for low frequency effects (movie effects), so that is typically set at the highest setting of 120Hz. That's the .1 in 5.1 or 7.1 etcetera and the LFE channel only carries sub-120Hz material.

The crossover setting on the AVR controls the bass for the other channels (the 5 in 5.1). So material above the crossover setting goes to your main speakers and material below the crossover setting goes to the subwoofer. Most common setting is 80Hz but that can be adjusted depending upon the room and speakers. As mentioned above, the crossover setting on the subwoofer is set to maximum so that the AVR can control the crossover point. The worst thing a person can do is set the crossover on the subwoofer to say 80Hz and then set the AVR crossover to something higher, like 100Hz. That effectively creates a notch filter which filters out everything between 80Hz and 100Hz.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
thanks for your help guys. i had it set on LFE+ mains but i will try it on just LFE and reset my sub. i have set my reciever up using audyssey and a SPL meter now i set my speakers all to small but for some reason if i go into the settings my mains have switched to large. my two mains do plug in because each one has a small woofer in them. could this be the reason its switching?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks for your help guys. i had it set on LFE+ mains but i will try it on just LFE and reset my sub. i have set my reciever up using audyssey and a SPL meter now i set my speakers all to small but for some reason if i go into the settings my mains have switched to large. my two mains do plug in because each one has a small woofer in them. could this be the reason its switching?
Double check your speaker settings to make sure the subwoofer is set to 1, or 2 if you have 2. If it is set to none then you mains would be changed to "large" even if you had them set to "small" before.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
7010 has Audessey. I would run that and see how it sets things.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i do run Audessey but sometimes it sets the mains at large and it also says the polarity is wrong on some speakers then run it again and its changed. i know they are right. i called marantz they said the mic is prbobably picking up a echo. so i run audessey then set them with a spl meter. and yes in the setting sub1 and 2 are turned on

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i will rerun everything once my new sub shows up which will now be next week. Amazon screwed up my address. my system will go down to one sub for a while but my base shakers will take the sub 2 setting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i do run Audessey but sometimes it sets the mains at large and it also says the polarity is wrong on some speakers then run it again and its changed. i know they are right. i called marantz they said the mic is prbobably picking up a echo. so i run audessey then set them with a spl meter. and yes in the setting sub1 and 2 are turned on
Just change speakers to small after running Audyssey...its the avr manufacturer disregarding what Audyssey suggests (i.e. to use bass management when using a sub)....if you are sure of phase/polarity just ignore the warning.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Just change speakers to small after running Audyssey...its the avr manufacturer disregarding what Audyssey suggests (i.e. to use bass management when using a sub)....if you are sure of phase/polarity just ignore the warning.
thats what i do but i.went.into.speaker.setting.the other day and for.some reason they switched to large after i reset them to small

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thats what i do but i.went.into.speaker.setting.the other day and for.some reason they switched to large after i reset them to small
I would run a soft reset/hard reset perhaps for odd behavior like that....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree with HD, the FL/FR speaker should only change from small to large if the subwoofer is set to "None", If subwoofer is set to Yes (1 or 2) then this should not have happened. Since it did switch to large by itself with subwoofer set to 1 or 2, it is time to do a reset, as HD suggested, try a soft reset first and it that does not fix it then do a hard/factory reset.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i watched a few movies lastnight and checked it a few times and it stayed on small . would these front towers having subs built in them and a amp be screwing things up? im not sure these 8"" subs will do much good once my new sub finally gets here.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
i watched a few movies lastnight and checked it a few times and it stayed on small . would these front towers having subs built in them and a amp be screwing things up? im not sure these 8"" subs will do much good once my new sub finally gets here.
I tried going through the 800P owners manual but the on-line manual was really lacking any useful information. Says that the speakers have side firing powered subwoofers but it does not show the connections. If there is a LFE or subwoofer input on the speaker you can try and run both the 800P subs and the new sub together, or try turning off the 800P subs. Other option depends upon what kind of connections the speakers have. If there is no LFE or subwoofer input on the speakers, then the speaker would be treated as any other full range speakers. In that case, the sub out from the AVR runs just to the new subwoofer and you can try setting the 800P in the AVR as small or large, depending on how you want them to integrate with the new sub.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
here is the front and back pic of the tower. they are front firing subs
I see a switch labeled "high level in" / "lfe in" so you have a couple of options. You can use a RCA splitter and feed the subwoofer out (LFE) from the AVR to both the new sub and the towers. If the front firing subwoofers in the towers can't keep up with the separate sub or do not integrate well, you can always switch the amp off on the towers.

The "high level in" should be a speaker connection. Other option is to connect the LFE channel to just the new sub. Then connect the speaker terminals to the high level in (and change the switch setting) and effectively run the towers full range. Setting the speakers to large or small in the AVR will control how much low frequency content they get.

I would probably opt for the first option. Get the new sub at a volume level you like and then dial in the tower subs to smooth things out. With a single sub you can get standing waves at certain frequencies which can create locations in the room where the bass is boomy or lacking. Having multiple subs reduces those issues. The challenge with those towers is that they can not be moved around very much, while a separate sub can be moved around to work better with the room acoustics.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
finally got the sub its a svs PB 3000 plugged it into the number 1 sub on reciever than reran AUD. now according to SVS set the volume on the sub app to -15 then run it but the AVR is saying its to loud. i can turn the volume down to -60 and its right at the threshold of being to loud. should i ignore AUD and just run it at -15 ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis