Setting Up a home theater.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
I read over the link and cut and pasted the Room configuration part of it below. I can not stress enough how important proper acoustics are and this guy is pretty much way off. The only thing about what he said about the big chairs is close, but you need proper bass trapping and broad absorption to get the full sound out of your system. Drapes and rugs will only absorb high end and leave your room boomy and muddy. No $10,000.00 worth of gear can solve this. It all comes from the room being tuned properly. Ever wondered why a movie theater sounds so good? Look to the walls. :)

Glenn

GIK Panels

"Room Configuration
Properly tuning a room can make as big a difference as upgrading your speakers or getting a better subwoofer. With the right room decor, you can not only improve your room's look and feel but greatly improve your movie experience. Here is a checklist:

Control light. Put up thick opaque curtains on the windows to block all incoming light. If all else fails, watch at night. Make sure all lights can be turned out.
Control external noise such as phones, dogs, air conditioners, computers, fans, or any other machinery. The room should be dead quiet when nothing is playing.
Use carpeting or a big rug on the floor. Hardwood floors may look pretty, but they suck for sound.
Use comfortable thick chairs. Thicker chairs absorb sound reflections better. None of that wooden Swedish crap.
Hang non-reflective decorations on your sidewalls such as tarps, drapes, or blankets.
Put a book case full of old paperbacks on your back wall to act as a rear wall diffuser.
While you don't have to add all of these tips into your room design, the more the better."

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Glenn,

> I can not stress enough how important proper acoustics are and this guy is pretty much way off. <

Agreed. It drives me nuts when people suggest that a bookshelf is equal to a diffusor, or that speaker and listener positioning alone can give great bass. But what do you expect from someone who recommends a specific brand of cable? :D

--Ethan

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
One of these days real soon I am going to set up a room with the cheapest surround sound system I can buy, but outfit room with acoustic panels. Let people come in and prove the point about equipment vs acoustics.
What drives me nuts is some companies have no bones about selling someone a $10,000 room but say nothing about what the room needs to sound good. Then if the room sounds bad the answer is "well you need to get this eq or that sub or blau blau blau". It is all about the buck

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Glenn,

> One of these days real soon I am going to set up a room with the cheapest surround sound system I can buy, but outfit room with acoustic panels. Let people come in and prove the point about equipment vs acoustics. <

I've had exactly that in my home for about a year now. You are welcome to stop over any time. :D

By the way, when you get a chance, send me an email through my company's web site. There's something I want to run by you but I don't have your email address.

--Ethan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis