Setting up 4.2 stereo system

• Thread starter Basslover4444yyyyy
  • Start date
B

Basslover4444yyyyy

Audiophyte
I want to set up 4 bookshelf speakers and 2 powered subwoofers. The 4 bookshelfs have speaker wire and their own 2 amps (1 amp each 2 speakers). The 2 subwoofers are the same and have hi level in and hi level out and line in and line out. I'm thinking that I could connect the line out of the 1st subwoofer to the line in of the 2nd subwoofer and connect 2 bookshelf speakers to each hi level out of both subwoofers and use the line in of the 1st subwoofer for the rca to aux so I can use my phone. I need to know if this will work without any problems.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I want to set up 4 bookshelf speakers and 2 powered subwoofers. The 4 bookshelfs have speaker wire and their own 2 amps (1 amp each 2 speakers). The 2 subwoofers are the same and have hi level in and hi level out and line in and line out. I'm thinking that I could connect the line out of the 1st subwoofer to the line in of the 2nd subwoofer and connect 2 bookshelf speakers to each hi level out of both subwoofers and use the line in of the 1st subwoofer for the rca to aux so I can use my phone. I need to know if this will work without any problems.

Tell us the specific models so we can look at them to see what the connections provided on the components are.
When you say the speakers have their own amps are the amps separate or built into one of each pair of speakers?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
You will need to split your sources so each amp gets a signal. Y adapters work. your speaker wires go from the amp to the high pass inputs and back out to the speakers. What is your end goal.

B

Basslover4444yyyyy

Audiophyte
Are you asking what I want to happen?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Are you asking what I want to happen?

How are you using the gear, what for. Regardless the above is how you get it to work assuming your using everything in the same area

B

Basslover4444yyyyy

Audiophyte
I'm using it for music

B

Basslover4444yyyyy

Audiophyte
I see how this will work not thank you

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm having a problem following that you said up front, but these are your options from the equipment you listed.

You can feed the speaker level output of that little amp into the subwoofer speaker level inputs and connect the speakers to the speaker level output of the subwoofer.

If you feed a line level input into that subwoofer, you'll get nothing out of the speaker level inputs. They only contain amplification for the subwoofer, not any other speakers. They only pass through what's fed into them.

I don't suggest connecting two pairs of speakers to either the little amp or the subwoofer speaker outputs. I don't see any mention of how well it would handle a four ohm load. I'd use a separate amp for each set of speakers.

Last edited:
B

Basslover4444yyyyy

Audiophyte
I'm having a problem following that you said up front, but these are your options from the equipment you listed.

You can feed the speaker level output of that little amp into the subwoofer speaker level inputs and connect the speakers to the speaker level output of the subwoofer.

If you feed a line level input into that subwoofer, you'll get nothing out of the speaker level inputs. They only contain amplification for the subwoofer, not any other speakers. They only pass through what's fed into them.
I understand that now thank you

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not usually one to put a hitch in someone's plan, but I do have a couple questions about this proposed arrangement. I assume you have not yet purchased any of this equipment yet.

The equipment you have outlined here costs approximately $350 before shipping.

Question # 1 Why do you want 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers? Is it because you think it will be louder or more "surround soundy"?

Question # 2 What made you choose the Lepai amplifiers? I can assure you they are not very powerful. Benchtesting indicates they run out of steam at less than 10 watts per channel. The Dayton speakers you chose are 87dB 1w/1m which means they aren't very efficient. You won't get much output from these with those amplifiers.

I think you would be better served to buy ONE pair of better speakers, a decent receiver with at least 50 watts per channel or more, and one better subwoofer with your budget.

If you like I believe I can help guide you in the right direction.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The shipping for the MonoPrice subwoofer is $50 for each. That brings your total up to $450 -$500 after shipping costs.

It's also worth noting that apparently MonoPrice either does not know how to measure their subwoofer's frequency response, or its FR drop off point is 50Hz. The latter seems unlikely for a 12" subwoofer, but I'm guessing it's FR drop off point isn't even in the 20s, probably mid 30s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis