Setting subwoofer level?

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I have a question about how to properly set the subwoofer level in an AVR using Audyssey. When I set the volume knob on the sub to 1/2 and calibrate using Audyssey, the level ends up at -12 dB.

1. Why does it end up that low, is the subwoofer really that powerful in my specific listening environment? Can I trust Audyssey in this regard?
2. What level should I aim at and when should I be satisfied?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
In your manual setup menu for your receiver you should be able to set your output levels for each speaker. With a sound pressure meter double check the output level of your sub-woofer. It should be calibrated around 75 db.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

I have a question about how to properly set the subwoofer level in an AVR using Audyssey. When I set the volume knob on the sub to 1/2 and calibrate using Audyssey, the level ends up at -12 dB.

1. Why does it end up that low, is the subwoofer really that powerful in my specific listening environment? Can I trust Audyssey in this regard?
2. What level should I aim at and when should I be satisfied?

Thanks in advance.
You need to lower the gain on the sub itself. That's why the avr is trying to set the sub level as low as it can....

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
This is very common so just lower the gain(volume) knob on sub a bit. The aim is to be around -9dB to -5dB. There are some good subwoofer setup guids stickied on forums, well worth a read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Bob Leonard said:
With a sound pressure meter double check the output level of your sub-woofer. It should be calibrated around 75 db.
Right. Do you know if I can use a calibrated microphone and the Room EQ Wizard for that?

Leemix said:
The aim is to be around -9dB to -5dB.
OK. Why not 0 dB? I heard somewhere that Audyssey won't calibrate properly if the difference is more than +/- 5 dB.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right. Do you know if I can use a calibrated microphone and the Room EQ Wizard for that?

OK. Why not 0 dB? I heard somewhere that Audyssey won't calibrate properly if the difference is more than +/- 5 dB.
You could use a mic/REW, sure. Audyssey should be fine, tho.

You can aim for 0, personally I get as low as I can in the negative range without reaching the max (-12 for example), to allow some headroom for boosting afterwards....but I wouldn't want to go into the plus range. Audyssey will work fine at -11, do it all the time.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You need to lower the gain on the sub itself. That's why the avr is trying to set the sub level as low as it can....
Agree. Setting the sub gain at 1/2 is just a suggestion for starting your Audyssey balance. Lower the gain and rerun Audyssey until it sets your sub(s) volume wherever you want. Remember, Audyssey can only adjust the volume +/- 12dB. So make sure your initial setting leaves you room for fine tuning later. Most people like to ultimately boost the bass, but you may find some music where you prefer to lower it. Leave yourself room for either.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Thank you. What is your experience with Audyssey, does it measure the level well enough or would you recommend spending 100$+ for a mic to use with REW?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thank you. What is your experience with Audyssey, does it measure the level well enough or would you recommend spending 100$+ for a mic to use with REW?
I recently bought an Umik 1 and have run REW a few times.
The new Audyssey version i like with the app, and i think it does a good job. I use it now but didnt before with older versions. All room correction have their limits though and REW can help pinpoint some problems, but it depends on how much work you put into it and room treatments.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think Audyssey measures the level well enough if you take care to do so. Lots of good info on how to optimize Audyssey, and the new app (which I can't use on my older Denons) helps out, too. OTOH I do recommend being able to measure more completely.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all very much. When using dual subs, do you send a test signal to both simultaneously and set the total level to 75 dB, or do you do it per sub?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thank you all very much. When using dual subs, do you send a test signal to both simultaneously and set the total level to 75 dB, or do you do it per sub?
Depends on your AVR, one or two sub out and if they are seperate or just an «internal Y».
Which reciever do you have?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
It is a Denon AVR-X2300W.
Have you run the audyssey setup? if it sets up the subs seperatly then itll do a test tone on one then the other before doing both at same time. The avr will probably have some rough volume check also to help get the gain within an acceptable range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis