Set up speakers to stream audio and pick right speakers for plugs that used to belong to wall-mounted Tannoy speakers

M

magtymguly

Audiophyte
Folks, I recently moved into a house. Garage had a set up four speakers. Previous people have taken them all, leaving only the cables dangling off the wall. (You can see in one of the pictures with a green arrow how they used to look like before they took them out).

I located where the cables lead to. (Also in the pictures). However, that cable has only 4 wires (black/red/green/white), while there are four speakers, three of which have red/black combo and one of which has green/white.

For living room, I bought a Wiim Amp and they work pretty well. I can stream anything from my phone or computer. I want to accomplish a similar/same setup in the garage, too. I have a few questions:

1 -- Old speakers that were there were Tannoy. Do you recommend that I buy same or whatever their modern version is? Is plug compatibility an issue or are they standard? (Please see the picture where I am showing a green plug that goes into the speakers).

2 -- Considering there are 4 speaker cables and there are only four wires that could power two speakers as far as I understand. Is that correct? Or, however they set it up should be enough to power all four speakers?

3 -- Will Wiim Amp work or are there other considerations? I read comments mentioning power, channel etc, and I am a newbie to even ask the right questions.

4 -- There's a control keypad on the wall. Is this something I should try to bring back to life? How helpful do you find such wall-mounted controls?

If you recommend a different set of speakers, please advise what those would be.

Thank you for your help.

speakers_1.jpg
speakers_2.jpg
speakers_3.jpg
speakers_4.jpg
speakers_5.jpg
speakers_6.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
You could get another Wiim amp and a pair of speakers for the garage. Though, if it is very large and you play music at very high volume, a more powerful amp and more capable speakers may be necessary than the small wall mounted sort.

M

magtymguly

Audiophyte
There are four speaker cables, but wires enough for only two speakers -- black/red/green/white. How would those work? Do you think such a setup exists a black/red wire can power multiple speakers, rather than a single designated speaker?

Also, what speaker would you recommend? Room size is rather large, about 2,000 sq ft.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There are four speaker cables, but wires enough for only two speakers -- black/red/green/white. How would those work? Do you think such a setup exists a black/red wire can power multiple speakers, rather than a single designated speaker?

Also, what speaker would you recommend? Room size is rather large, about 2,000 sq ft.
So there are four wires in one jacket? Installers could have pulled one set of 4 for two speakers and separated the other two out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like depending what pins you use you can distribute audio to more than one speaker with those connectors on the Tannoy speakers. Here's the full manual fwiw https://service-tcgroup.tcelectronic.com/files/Tech_Service_Tannoy/Professional/DIseries/Di8DC/Di_Manual.pdf

Since you don't have the speakers nor an amp for them, I'd bypass what setup was there altogether (sounds like you have no particular use for it). Another Wiim amp sounds like a good way to go with a new pair of speakers. What kind of budget for amp/speakers for the garage?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

That system was essentially two channel stereo using four speakers. That is a bad idea for a start. The speakers via those connectors were set up a two parallel pairs.

If you plan in using those two wires, I would just use two more powerful speakers and not four.

highfigh

highfigh

That system was essentially two channel stereo using four speakers. That is a bad idea for a start. The speakers via those connectors were set up a two parallel pairs.

If you plan in using those two wires, I would just use two more powerful speakers and not four.
How often do you think people try to achieve great sound in their garage? It's about coverage and since it's a stereo system in a live space, stereo is fine as long as the load is right for the amplifier.

highfigh

highfigh

Folks, I recently moved into a house. Garage had a set up four speakers. Previous people have taken them all, leaving only the cables dangling off the wall. (You can see in one of the pictures with a green arrow how they used to look like before they took them out).

I located where the cables lead to. (Also in the pictures). However, that cable has only 4 wires (black/red/green/white), while there are four speakers, three of which have red/black combo and one of which has green/white.

For living room, I bought a Wiim Amp and they work pretty well. I can stream anything from my phone or computer. I want to accomplish a similar/same setup in the garage, too. I have a few questions:

1 -- Old speakers that were there were Tannoy. Do you recommend that I buy same or whatever their modern version is? Is plug compatibility an issue or are they standard? (Please see the picture where I am showing a green plug that goes into the speakers).

2 -- Considering there are 4 speaker cables and there are only four wires that could power two speakers as far as I understand. Is that correct? Or, however they set it up should be enough to power all four speakers?

3 -- Will Wiim Amp work or are there other considerations? I read comments mentioning power, channel etc, and I am a newbie to even ask the right questions.

4 -- There's a control keypad on the wall. Is this something I should try to bring back to life? How helpful do you find such wall-mounted controls?

If you recommend a different set of speakers, please advise what those would be.

Thank you for your help.

View attachment 67646View attachment 67647View attachment 67648View attachment 67649View attachment 67650View attachment 67651
You need to show what's on the other end of the wires, especially the ones feeding the keypads in order for anyone to advise on whether you should try to use them. They don't just work on their own- the fact that the one keypad has source buttons proves it. Remove the volume control and the keypads to find the brand.

M

magtymguly

Audiophyte
Looks like depending what pins you use you can distribute audio to more than one speaker with those connectors on the Tannoy speakers. Here's the full manual fwiw https://service-tcgroup.tcelectronic.com/files/Tech_Service_Tannoy/Professional/DIseries/Di8DC/Di_Manual.pdf

Since you don't have the speakers nor an amp for them, I'd bypass what setup was there altogether (sounds like you have no particular use for it). Another Wiim amp sounds like a good way to go with a new pair of speakers. What kind of budget for amp/speakers for the garage?
Thank you, sir, this is a very good response. I am certainly okay with bypassing the old setup, other than just keeping the cables and wires as is (I can take out the pins and keep the wires only. And on the Amp side, there's a jacketed cable with red/black/green/white wires, which go behind the walls, so I would use them as is).

My budget, the amp included would be around $1,000. WiiM amp was $300 alone. So, I need to add 4 speakers. What speakers would you recommend that would go well with WiiM amp? If $1,000 is not realistic or if you think I could get a better pair of four speakers with a little bit more budget, I would go for it. Please recommend what you think would be a good setup.

M

magtymguly

Audiophyte
How often do you think people try to achieve great sound in their garage? It's about coverage and since it's a stereo system in a live space, stereo is fine as long as the load is right for the amplifier.
You have a good point about the load being right sized. How can I make sure that's the case? I am pretty much set on WiiM amp given its price and features. For four speakers, do you think it would be underpowered? Or, do you have a better recommendation for an Amp? Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, sir, this is a very good response. I am certainly okay with bypassing the old setup, other than just keeping the cables and wires as is (I can take out the pins and keep the wires only. And on the Amp side, there's a jacketed cable with red/black/green/white wires, which go behind the walls, so I would use them as is).

My budget, the amp included would be around $1,000. WiiM amp was $300 alone. So, I need to add 4 speakers. What speakers would you recommend that would go well with WiiM amp? If $1,000 is not realistic or if you think I could get a better pair of four speakers with a little bit more budget, I would go for it. Please recommend what you think would be a good setup.
I'd just run two speakers with a two channel amp. Garage speakers maybe even see what's on craigslist....

highfigh

highfigh

You have a good point about the load being right sized. How can I make sure that's the case? I am pretty much set on WiiM amp given its price and features. For four speakers, do you think it would be underpowered? Or, do you have a better recommendation for an Amp? Thank you.
Bare floors and walls? Will this garage have a lot of items in it? It's NOT going to sound as good as it would inside, where the room isn't almost totally reflecting the sound. This is a garage- are you planning to sit and listen?

I'm also not saying that it can't sound good or that you can't or shouldn't do anything, but you might want to manage your expectations. If I wanted to use a streamer, I would probably use a Yamaha MusicCast- I have a WCX-50 (not amplified) in my main system and I like the sound. I don't use a lot of steaming services, but I did use it as the preamp for everything before I reinstalled my Parasound. The amplified version (WXA-50) is $600-

highfigh

highfigh

The Wiim amp is also a streamer.
Yeah, it's in the previously posted link.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Apologies. The Wiim amp might not be up for the task here and a Wiim Pro, to use the same app for control of it and the Wiim amp, might be a better way to go when connected to a more robust amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have a really bad feel about this whole project. You have been parsimonious to a fault with the details of this project. All we know is that it is a 2000 sq.ft garage space, and that is next to no information. So any information any of us give you is likely to be wrong.

So:-
Is this finished space?
Is the ceiling open or closed?
What is the space finished with, walls, ceilings etc?
Are the doors still on the garage, and if so what are they made of, steel or what?
What is on the floor? Is it bare concrete? Will it be finished or carpet laid?
What do you intend to use this space for?
Will it have cars going in and out for instance?
If not will the space be furnished? We need to know your plans for this room in great detail
What are you going to use the room for? Will it be some type of workshop, for metal, wood, or a place to work on vehicles, or any combination of the above?

Pictures would be very helpful.

I have a feeling this space is not worth anywhere near $1000 in audio equipment.

Lastly running four speakers off two amp channels is a really bad idea. First it is likely to blow the amp up, unless it is a really expensive robust one, unless you play it at very low volumes.

Lastly two speakers are likely to sound far better than four.

I have a suspicion that this space is only fit for garage sale equipment.

So details, details, details and details.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Some of my best listening sessions have been garage type. Is where I really learned how to optimize near field arrangements and how to avoid otherwise acoustically unsuitable spaces.

Not how I typically set up speakers on my workbench, but when my kids were young, the house was otherwise busied up by them and all of their stuff for a good 10 years or so. I would just take my speakers into the garage and jam to my heart's content without disturbing anyone so much. I usually had the amp where I could reach the controls from my stool or when standing and would sit right in front of them. I would keep them up on shelves when not listening loudly but that arrangement was disastrous for louder performance.

Two good speakers up close are better than 4 (I tried that A+B option before) and they hit nothing like just a pair of good, full range speakers point blank like. I had intended to install them more permanently out of the way but this way was just too good to change. What's that saying along the lines of. . ."There isn't anything as permanent as a temporary repair?" I still listen like this. It's like headphones without the cranium blocking it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis