Series Parallel for subw and speakers OK?

D

Dave H

Audiophyte
I know this gets asked often...but here am I again.
I have an old stereo receiver with no subwoofer outputs. The subwoofer will connect as per instructions to the B speakers of the receiver, but the unit is so old I cannot play both A and B together..that is how JVC made it.

The subwoofer is a small Jamo unit which says 200. It has both speaker and regular inputs. The data sheet says 22 ohms.

Now I am familiar enough with wiring to know how to wire the speakers plus subwoofer in series parallel so that each is at 16 ohms. Any problems foreseen. Actually I don't care if I blow up the receiver, ...just don't want to damage the speakers or subwoofer.
Thanks for any ideas.

aha... a little wrinkle...the specs for the sub show 22 ohm impedance. so parallel series on a normal set up would be 44 ohms....but in a subwoofer, am I thnking right? Perhaps when using the speaker wire inputs the unit treats the signal as an unprocessed preamp signal and then boosts it with the internal amp?

See....a little learning is a dangerous thing, eh?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know this gets asked often...but here am I again.
I have an old stereo receiver with no subwoofer outputs. The subwoofer will connect as per instructions to the B speakers of the receiver, but the unit is so old I cannot play both A and B together..that is how JVC made it.

The subwoofer is a small Jamo unit which says 200. It has both speaker and regular inputs. The data sheet says 22 ohms.

Now I am familiar enough with wiring to know how to wire the speakers plus subwoofer in series parallel so that each is at 16 ohms. Any problems foreseen. Actually I don't care if I blow up the receiver, ...just don't want to damage the speakers or subwoofer.
Thanks for any ideas.

aha... a little wrinkle...the specs for the sub show 22 ohm impedance. so parallel series on a normal set up would be 44 ohms....but in a subwoofer, am I thnking right? Perhaps when using the speaker wire inputs the unit treats the signal as an unprocessed preamp signal and then boosts it with the internal amp?

See....a little learning is a dangerous thing, eh?
Sorry we really can't help you. Your post makes no sense at all. Certainly you can not series parallel speakers and sub.

We need to know exactly what equipment you have with all model numbers and pictures. I think the only sub that would work with your system is one with speaker level inputs that allows the speakers to be connected to the sub. These are not around these days.

In the era of the type of receiver you mention subs were not around. It is really not possible to get good results with a sub from that type of unit.

My advice is to get a receiver designed to support a sub, or use one pair of speakers with a good bass response and no sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that you got lost a bit.
Question : does the jamo sub has electric power cord?
You said it has speakers level inputs. Does it have speakers levels output as well?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Just replace the receiver with something that will do what you need, and don’t burn your house down with what you have, or what you’re attempting to do unsuccessfully. You can pick up tons of 2-3 year old pieces and clearance equipment for next to nothing.

DJ

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Couldn't he run both the sub line and speakers off of the same terminal? I thought it was possible since the sub line level is 22k ohm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis