Separates or All in one?

L

lidistick

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Like the question...

Basically for Home theatre usage. Its' for my dad who is about to retire and is itching to get some gear to replace a very old Arcam stereo amplifier and his totally trashed Tannoy speakers (we were kids once and I think my elbow got the tweeter!) .

His budget is sorta limited by what's on the market in malaysia. He's very willing to spend now that all of us are grown up and out of the house.. He hasn't actually stated a figure but I reckon somewhere in the region of USD 20K for an entire home theatre setup. including installation... and oh yeah.. a projector &nbsp;

Gimme all your opinions cos when I get home.. I really wanna enjoy watching movies..... &nbsp; &nbsp;

Cheers! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lidistick

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>well he and I don't really like half-way measures. Plus he rather not upgrade every now and then. &nbsp;

Basically, I want to know if there is any difference between say a receiver which can do 7x 170W into 8ohms and a power amplifier which can do the same in terms of sound quality?
Separates tend to cost a lot more. Which is fine if there is an appreciable increase in soundstage and quality.

Cheers ppl</font>

L

lidistick

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>hi guys.. been auditioning a lot of equipment..
basically I'm down to the
Marantz DV-8300 (DVD, DVD-A, SACD)
Rotel RSP-1098 pre/pro
Plinius Odeon power amp

Or the Marantz DV-8300
Arcam AV8 pre/pro
Arcam P7 power amp

and B&amp;W nautilus speakers..
Nautilus 804 fronts
Nautilus HTM1 centre
Nautilus 805 surrounds x4
Nautilus ASW sub
Kimber cables and interconnects..

Haven't really given thought to the projector as yet.. any other suggestions with regards to other speakers? pre/pros and power amps??

Cheers.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi

The DV-8300 have excellent DAC.
If it's going to be the only source in the system than you can allocate more of the budget to amplification and less to the pre/pro.
I run the DV-8300 through Denon 3803 in pure direct mode. The sound stage seems much more focused that way compared to using the digital input.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>... read : ... through Denon 3803 external decoder input in pure direct mode ...</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis