Sennheiser HD 599 Open Back Headphone $157.5 [retail: $250]

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I guess they are getting back to original price as HD598 used to be ~180$ before they were replaced by HD599. Haven't heard the HD599 if they actually have improved the sound from HD598.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like deal is ended (shockingly) but prime members could still get it for $163

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. Too bad I don't need any more headphones I don't listen to my Grados and AKGs all that often anyway.
Do these phones have the so called "Sennheiser Veil" signature sound? I have personally never experienced that supposed sound back in the day with my HD 420s. But that is another thread.:)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Nice. Too bad I don't need any more headphones I don't listen to my Grados and AKGs all that often anyway.
Do these phones have the so called "Sennheiser Veil" signature sound? I have personally never experienced that supposed sound back in the day with my HD 420s. But that is another thread.:)
What do you mean by "Sennheiser Veil"?

J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
There is several for sale on mass drop
Which ones do I need to buy ? This will be my first purchase of headphones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
What do you mean by "Sennheiser Veil"?
Back in the day (1980s) Sennheiser's were said to have a slightly veiled sound. I never heard it with my HD420s in fact they made a friends inexpensive Koss phones (don't remember the model) sound muddy. Anyway it was a common (if not necessarily factual) wordage used by some audio magazines back then. You would probably get more info by googling it. Any of you old time headphone guys familiar with this term? Like I said this might be food for a new thread. Thanks for asking.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There is several for sale on mass drop
Which ones do I need to buy ? This will be my first purchase of headphones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The two popular one are the 6xx and 58x(Got mine on Monday and will be breaking them in till tomm Friday). There tons of reviews on YouTube. I choose the 58x because it had more treble, fantastic mids and bass extension.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Back in the day (1980s) Sennheiser's were said to have a slightly veiled sound. I never heard it with my HD420s in fact they made a friends inexpensive Koss phones (don't remember the model) sound muddy. Anyway it was a common (if not necessarily factual) wordage used by some audio magazines back then. You would probably get more info by googling it. Any of you old time headphone guys familiar with this term? Like I said this might be food for a new thread. Thanks for asking.
""Veil" is something somebody made up one day when they were dissatisfied with a Sennheiser can, and for some reason, everybody else accepted it as true, including people who had never even heard a Sennheiser headphone before."

After reading a bit about this it seems like people were disappointed that Sennheiser don't have ear piercing highs and has neutral and balanced sound instead. So to answer, yes, Sennheiser still has neutral and balanced sound.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The two popular one are the 6xx and 58x(Got mine on Monday and will be breaking them in till tomm Friday). There tons of reviews on YouTube. I choose the 58x because it had more treble, fantastic mids and bass extension.
I've been curious on the 58x. What other cans do you have for comparison?

I have AKG 845BT
Senn 598SE
Senn 6xx

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
""Veil" is something somebody made up one day when they were dissatisfied with a Sennheiser can, and for some reason, everybody else accepted it as true, including people who had never even heard a Sennheiser headphone before."

After reading a bit about this it seems like people were disappointed that Sennheiser don't have ear piercing highs and has neutral and balanced sound instead. So to answer, yes, Sennheiser still has neutral and balanced sound.
Agreed as I stated I never heard it (or even thought I did) with my Senn HD420s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis