Second-hand amp recommendations

Simult

Simult

Audiophyte
Am looking to spend around £150-£400 on an amp to start me off. Already have an Arcam irDAC-II and some old Sony and Technics separates someone gifted me. First to be upgraded is the amp. Am looking at various Arcams on eBay and FB marketplace. There’s an A85 and a PMF A28 - each priced at £250. Can possibly get the A85 knocked down to £200 and it is closer geographically. Is the PMF the better amp and if so, in what ways? I know it has a phono stage, while the A85 needs an add-on. My hesitation about Arcam is the reviews tend to say the amps are not the most dynamic and bold, though this seems to vary depending on which amp. Any other brand/models you recommend to look at?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Am looking to spend around £150-£400 on an amp to start me off. Already have an Arcam irDAC-II and some old Sony and Technics separates someone gifted me. First to be upgraded is the amp. Am looking at various Arcams on eBay and FB marketplace. There’s an A85 and a PMF A28 - each priced at £250. Can possibly get the A85 knocked down to £200 and it is closer geographically. Is the PMF the better amp and if so, in what ways? I know it has a phono stage, while the A85 needs an add-on. My hesitation about Arcam is the reviews tend to say the amps are not the most dynamic and bold, though this seems to vary depending on which amp. Any other brand/models you recommend to look at?
Welcome to AH,

I was curious and had doubts about some of the reviews you were referring to with negative complaints on the Arcam DIVA A85 integrated amp. Arcam has had a good reputation among hi-fi manufacturers worldwide.

I've just perused the following review by a serious American magazine:

https://www.soundstage.com/revequip/arcam_a85.htm

If they rated it as an excellent sounding product, I have no reason to doubt their conclusion and I would go for that amplifier if it's still available. It would be ideal if you could listen to it before picking it up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dynamic and bold are useless descriptors when amp shopping. What amp do you have now and why do you want to replace it? What is the other gear you have now? You're looking for an integrated amp only? Seems you have a turntable already? What speakers do you have?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis