Seaton Submersive in UK?

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
I really like the idea of SubMersive HP+ with a Slave. Has anyone in the UK gotten a pair? Did you get it direct from manufacturer shipped, or somewhere else? Can you get it with a UK plug and compatible with the electrical system here?

I intend to use them with a Marantz SR8012, but can’t tell what kind of sub out connectors it has. Is it compatible?
(And it is possible to use the subs not only for the ".1" track in movies, but also for normal stereo music, using this receiver?)

I intend to use them in a ~ 5.3m x 4.4m room, 1 near a front corner, 1 near the diagonally opposite rear corner. Assuming going straight between them under the floor, does the pair come with a long enough connecting wire so they can share the amp? Or how else do people deal with wire?

Given the dual-opposed design, where would you place these in a room? Some distance (how much, exactly) from any wall? Right up in the corner, so one driver is firing right in to a wall?

(The room is not built yet, and I want to know where good places to put in-floor sockets for them would be.)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
sorry for a minor offtopic, but my rough math tells me your room is about 2500 cu ft. Which makes it smaller to medium-sized room according to AH standards. Seatons are great subs, but even one seems like A MASSIVE overkill for a room your size. If I were in your shoes I'd contact your local BKElec https://www.bkelec.com/ and discuss a bass solution for your room. I am fairly confident that a pair of Monolith Plus will shake the crap out of you.

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
Seatons are great subs, but even one seems like A MASSIVE overkill for a room your size. [...] I am fairly confident that a pair of Monolith Plus will shake the crap out of you.
I've no doubt the Seaton's would be overkill, but I believe volume control/EQ can tame them. What I like is the theory of sealed enclosure and reduced vibration thanks to the dual opposed design.
I want maximally "tight" bass. The ability to cleanly go to much lower frequencies at THX levels is only a bonus, not the primary factor for me.

For that reason, ported designs like the Monoliths don't really appeal to me. Of course if I can go that way it will save a lot of money and hassle dealing with the US!

So I'm open to discussing a better choice of sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've no doubt the Seaton's would be overkill, but I believe volume control/EQ can tame them. What I like is the theory of sealed enclosure and reduced vibration thanks to the dual opposed design.
I want maximally "tight" bass. The ability to cleanly go to much lower frequencies at THX levels is only a bonus, not the primary factor for me.

For that reason, ported designs like the Monoliths don't really appeal to me. Of course if I can go that way it will save a lot of money and hassle dealing with the US!

So I'm open to discussing a better choice of sub.
Tight bass is not 100% correlation of sub box design (ported/sealed). To achieve it you need a sub with low distortion and sufficient output which BKEelec do. The point of playing bass below 20hz is a moot point. Humans can't hear it, barely feel it.
p.s: BKElec also makes several sealed subs. I could refer you to several AH members which bought these and very happy with them.
Again, I'm not trying to force your hand into anything, but If I were you - I'd be at least a bit curious and give BKElec a call and talk to them about your goals and wants.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I really like the idea of SubMersive HP+ with a Slave. Has anyone in the UK gotten a pair? Did you get it direct from manufacturer shipped, or somewhere else? Can you get it with a UK plug and compatible with the electrical system here?

I intend to use them with a Marantz SR8012, but can’t tell what kind of sub out connectors it has. Is it compatible?
(And it is possible to use the subs not only for the ".1" track in movies, but also for normal stereo music, using this receiver?)

I intend to use them in a ~ 5.3m x 4.4m room, 1 near a front corner, 1 near the diagonally opposite rear corner. Assuming going straight between them under the floor, does the pair come with a long enough connecting wire so they can share the amp? Or how else do people deal with wire?

Given the dual-opposed design, where would you place these in a room? Some distance (how much, exactly) from any wall? Right up in the corner, so one driver is firing right in to a wall?

(The room is not built yet, and I want to know where good places to put in-floor sockets for them would be.)
You might want to take a look at the Seaton thread at AVS. Seems lately there have been communication and other issues, especially with foreign buyers.

A pair on Monolith 15 sealed subs would/should work well. Pretty sure SVS has UK distributors. Maybe XTZ as they're based in Europe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've not heard of Seaton offering their subs internationally (like a distribution deal) but haven't followed for a while; I love the Seaton Submersive and almost got one many years back, but I went for its somewhat similar but lower cost competitor the Epik Empire at the time (also a 15" dual opposed design). Great subs but I also like the idea of going with BK Elec or XTZ as well, especially for warranty and shipping concerns and probably a better deal than SVS in Europe. Is Monolith an option there?

ps The Marantz avr should work fine with most subs, it uses an rca pre-out which is fairly commonly accommodated on active subs....altho some subs also have XLR inputs (that some pre-pros might have, but generally not an avr).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
IMHO: XLR balanced wiring only really makes sense on much longer runs - 100m or so. It's more of Audiophile jewelry for home audio, especially for subs.

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
A pair on Monolith 15 sealed subs would/should work well. Pretty sure SVS has UK distributors. Maybe XTZ as they're based in Europe.
It doesn't seem like Monoprice Monoliths are available in the UK (they have a UK website, but don't offer all their products through it).

SVS are available, and one of their sealed units was my initial choice. But more expensive to get 2 of their top end ones than the a Submersive with slave. Assuming a lower end model, which, if any, would be as good as the prior suggestion of BKEelec XXLS400-FF (for comparing sealed ones)?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BKEelec XXLS400-FF would be very similar in output to SVS SB2000
XTZ doesn't make sealed sub (why would they?) so their SUB 1X12 is closer to SVS PB2000 or BKElec Monolith Plus.
Again, you have not huge space, and unless it's open to another room, it would be fairly trivial to pressurize with any of the subs mentioned.
All of these would deliver great tight bass. A pair of them in the room will give you more even bass and extra +3db.

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all. So say I go with 2 BKEelec XXLS400-FF, is it possible (with the Marantz AVR) to have them used for movies and stereo music?

Movies would just use the RCA connector I guess?

I note that the BKEelecs say "simultaneous connection of high and low level sources". Is this in indicator I can also use them for stereo? If so, how exactly do you wire this?

And where is a likely good place to put these (again, so I can put sockets in the right place)? Right in a corner, virtually touching the walls? If there's a bass trap in the corner, right up against the bass trap? Or 1/4 or 1/3 along a wall? Many inches from any wall? Or is there no way to get a good guess without actually listening to them in the finished room?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all. So say I go with 2 BKEelec XXLS400-FF, is it possible (with the Marantz AVR) to have them used for movies and stereo music?

Movies would just use the RCA connector I guess?

I note that the BKEelecs say "simultaneous connection of high and low level sources". Is this in indicator I can also use them for stereo? If so, how exactly do you wire this?

And where is a likely good place to put these (again, so I can put sockets in the right place)? Right in a corner, virtually touching the walls? If there's a bass trap in the corner, right up against the bass trap? Or 1/4 or 1/3 along a wall? Many inches from any wall? Or is there no way to get a good guess without actually listening to them in the finished room?
Much music has been summed to mono in bass already in many recordings, no particular need for "stereo" subs....but if you insist then you can use the high level inputs with speaker wire simultaneously with your speakers. This would somewhat restrict sub placement, as well as a bit of changing settings in using the avr in the different modes. Try this two part article on the Schroeder frequency. Try this basic article on subwoofer placement as well as these for multiple subs. More about measuring than listening for best results. What bass traps do you have?

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
Much music has been summed to mono in bass already in many recordings, no particular need for "stereo" subs...
Ah, no, I meant "how do I get the AVR to use the subs while playing stereo music from any source?". I think that if you don't do anything special, they will not be used and the sound will only come out of your Front L/R speakers?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What’s the avr?
You should have the option to set speakers to small, set a crossover setting in the avr, set the bass to LFE, and be good.

If you have true full range towers, you can play around with other settings and connection options, too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What’s the avr?
You should have the option to set speakers to small, set a crossover setting in the avr, set the bass to LFE, and be good.

If you have true full range towers, you can play around with other settings and connection options, too.
see first post: Marantz SR8012

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
It'll be a Marantz SR8012 with Martin Logan Vantages (34–23,000 Hz ±3dB). These towers themselves have 200W amps for their woofers.

What are the other connection options? Whats the best way to wire things up? Basically I need to know what wires I need to run through the floor from the AVR position to the sub positions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, no, I meant "how do I get the AVR to use the subs while playing stereo music from any source?". I think that if you don't do anything special, they will not be used and the sound will only come out of your Front L/R speakers?
The Marantz and Denon avrs are quite easily set to use both subs and just L/R speakers, can be done several ways. Suggest you review the manual for such. As to running wire for sub, since the avr uses rca pre-outs, you can either run a long rca cable (shielded preferably) or even other types of coax (like RG6) with appropriate connectors/adapters (maybe even wall plates between avr area and sub areas).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis