Seating Arrangement for my Media Room

Z

zandaman

Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

So I have a dedicated media room, with dimensions of 13.5' wide x 17.5' long. My projector screen is 120", and on the smaller wall. My audio setup is 7.2.4.

What would be an appropriate seating arrangement for my room?

I've been wrestling with two rows/fewer seats vs one row/more seats. If I go with two rows, The front row will be a 3 seater, and the back row a 2 seater (simply because a 3 seater would likely block access to my equipment closet). If I go with one row, I'd hope to fit in a 4 seater.

Or should I consider smaller seating with standalone recliners on the sides? Any ideas?

I've included a picture of the basic layout to provide a better visual. Thank you!

Media Room Dimensions.PNG

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi Folks,

So I have a dedicated media room, with dimensions of 13.5' wide x 17.5' long. My projector screen is 120", and on the smaller wall. My audio setup is 7.2.4.

What would be an appropriate seating arrangement for my room?

I've been wrestling with two rows/fewer seats vs one row/more seats. If I go with two rows, The front row will be a 3 seater, and the back row a 2 seater (simply because a 3 seater would likely block access to my equipment closet). If I go with one row, I'd hope to fit in a 4 seater.

Or should I consider smaller seating with standalone recliners on the sides? Any ideas?

I've included a picture of the basic layout to provide a better visual. Thank you!

View attachment 35271
I would stick with 1 row...and maximize the seating...17' is not really enough for 2 rows imo.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hello,

I agree with the above, I would try to make it work with a single row and maximize that and then have recliners (or those throw down cushion seats like fancy bean bags for younger folk with young backs) that can be brought in if you needed to expand in a moment's notice.

13 feet wide would likely handle 3 people comfortably, more than that and you're squeezing it in elbow to elbow. But, when you think about it, viewing distance for a 120" screen in a 17 foot room, you likely would sitting towards the back of the 17 foot room, but knowing your doors and access is back there, you cannot go too far back. So at least 3 feet of walk way room I assume back there, 3~4 feet of seating room, centered, and knowing your front equipment will take up at least 2 feet if not a little more from accessible room, leaves a viewing distance that is centered somewhere around 6~7 feet from the back wall and if you take 2 feet of room away with front equipment, you're got 8 feet or so from your seated position to the front mains. Getting crammed quickly since being too close to that 120" and you'll have to look left and right just to see the entire screen.

That 8 feet gets cut into deeply when you expand to two rows, knowing your back area cannot be flush to the wall, so another 3~4 feet of room and you're looking at being way too close to that 120" screen probably for comfort of viewing.

Tough choice!

Very best,

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis