searching for another receiver

C

curtis.f

Audiophyte
I scored some vintage Pioneer cabs [40w/8ohm each] from my parents when I last visited and am in need of some sort of receiver to go along with them. I'm currently using the Pioneer receiver that originally came with it when they bought it around 30 years ago with my Polk Monitors. I'll be using the Pioneer cabs in the living room mainly/mostly/only for some XBMC action for music. I'm not looking to spend over $100USD here, so please don't recommend anything above that.. please.

Is it worth it to buy a NEW low-end receiver these days [for under $100] or should I go the vintage eBay route? I know the build quality now isn't even comparable at all to what it was back then. I've been looking on eBay and found some really cheap vintage Onkyos and others that looked really nice.

Are there any vintage units that you guys recommend in particular? Suggestions for new units? Would you buy new or go used/vintage? Is anything vintage under $100 worth it over something new that is under $100? I know thats a huge general question but every little bit helps. Keep in mind the purpose of my purchase as well.

Thanks.

G

GreenJelly

Banned
curtis.f said:
I scored some vintage Pioneer cabs [40w/8ohm each] from my parents when I last visited and am in need of some sort of receiver to go along with them. I'm currently using the Pioneer receiver that originally came with it when they bought it around 30 years ago with my Polk Monitors. I'll be using the Pioneer cabs in the living room mainly/mostly/only for some XBMC action for music. I'm not looking to spend over $100USD here, so please don't recommend anything above that.. please.

Is it worth it to buy a NEW low-end receiver these days [for under $100] or should I go the vintage eBay route? I know the build quality now isn't even comparable at all to what it was back then. I've been looking on eBay and found some really cheap vintage Onkyos and others that looked really nice.

Are there any vintage units that you guys recommend in particular? Suggestions for new units? Would you buy new or go used/vintage? Is anything vintage under $100 worth it over something new that is under $100? I know thats a huge general question but every little bit helps. Keep in mind the purpose of my purchase as well.

Thanks.
Wow, again; a question that goes unanswered with good reason. No one reviews equipment under $100...

However, I do have a good answer for you... and this one is a solid answer I often use myself (since I too have a lower quality audio system due to the fact that I sit 2 feet from my computer speakers)...

Goto Radioshack...

Every Sound magazine Ive read that has taken time to review these low end products, generally come up with a single answer... Radioshack.

I dont know why, but their old Radioshack speakers, and the new RCA have gotten some respect for their price range, and I own a 5 channel RCA bookshelf system for my computer and couldnt be happier. The sales can be great too!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis