Sealed vs Ported Specific Comparison

F

FirstShirt33

Audiophyte
OK. I’ve read a lot on sealed vs ported and understand the basics of why ported is more efficient. But given the footprints I’m at a toss up. My room is approx 40’ x 23’ with 8’ ceiling. I’m looking at SVS PB 2000 Pro vs SB 4000. (Both would be dual). The SB has larger driver and bigger amp. I wish I could go listen, but not much open right now. Thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want more deep bass, go with the PB-2000, but if you want more mid-bass, go with the SB-4000. Pretty simple.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. That’s a big ol space. Whatever you choose, you’ll need more than one. The pb4k is badass no doubt. But around port tune, the PB2 will have almost 4x the output and will have more up to about 35hz.
If that’s roughly where your budget is I’d go with three PB or PC2k pros, and maybe four if you can.
If you’re really considering 1500 per sub, I’d shop the big outlet sale, and start at least with a pair of pb4k for 1500ea

FWIW, fwiw 2/3 of my subs are pc12pluses, and I have a lot of airspace too so I get it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you want more deep bass, go with the PB-2000, but if you want more mid-bass, go with the SB-4000. Pretty simple.
I don't understand that at all. Just because a sub has greater depth extension, I don't see any reason why it should perform worse above F3 then a sub with a higher F3. If that is so then there is a definite level of incompetence.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't understand that at all. Just because a sub has greater depth extension, I don't see any reason why it should perform worse above F3 then a sub with a higher F3. If that is so then there is a definite level of incompetence.
While the SB-4000 driver is capable of a lot more displacement than the PB-2000 driver, it still won't quite match the PB-2000's deep bass ability around port tuning since it is a sealed subwoofer. However, it should be a bit more powerful in frequency ranges where the 2000's port isn't making a significant contribution. It has a much more powerful amp and driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis