Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Hello,

I have been hearing rumors for the past several months now that Sony is planning to release its SDDS surround format for the ES line and the next generation of Superbit DVDs will include this instead of Dolby Digital or DTS.  

Was wondering what others have heard and think.

:)~

Bob</font>

<font color='#000080'>From http://www.dvdangle.com/dvd_tech/explanation/audio.html:

Sony has a propriety surround sound technology called Sony Dynamic Digital Sound (SDDS). SDDS is currently only available in theaters, but is optionally supported by DVD. There are currently no DVDs or home theater processors that support SDDS. SDDS is an eight-channel surround sound system that adds left-center and right-center channels to the six channels available for Dolby Digital (left, right, center, left surround, right surround, LFE).

My guess is that there are too many competing formats for this to take off quickly but Sony is HUGE and can possibly push the market if it wants to.

My reaction is a resounding WHY? I woudl rather see development on HD and better implementation of existing technologies before introducing this theater-sourced version.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Ya Hawke,  I'll second that one.

If your doing the &quot;real big&quot; screen at home (you know 80 to 114 inches) you'll have a hard time finding places to put the extra speakers.  You could put them behind the screen, but that creates some problems of it's own.

Two forward vertical channels might be nice (top and bottom).</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I checked the new ES receivers 3000ES and 5000ES have SDDS mode.
Does anyone has a chance to audit the new sony ES line? Please let me know I am so currious. &nbsp;I just has my 5ES for a year, I don't know if I want to get new ES from my friend again.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis