Screen Innovations motorized, wrinkles!

K

Kieran

Enthusiast
Greetings audioholics! My first post here, but I'm a long time reader and active on other forums in this hobby.

I recently installed (DIY mostly, with some help from my contractor who was building the room) a SI Motorized Series 5 screen, 110" 16:9. It's awesome, but has a few wrinkles across the top that I can't seem to make go away.

Are there any adjustments to be made to the screen, the mounting hardware, etc., that might fix this, or is it more likely a manufacturing problem requiring SI warranty request?

1619105792347.png

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will want to call SI to confirm this, but typically the tension can be adjusted using screws at the bottom left/right of the screen to ensure even pull in all directions. This said, I still sometimes see a few waves like this that persist. In a dark room, with a standard throw projector, they basically disappear. But, it does no good with UST projectors for sure and certainly with lights on in the room, especially from the side, they will be quite visible.

But, by adjusting the tensioning at the bottom, it should get rid of these wrinkles a good deal.

Make sure you set the height of your screen before adjusting any wrinkles out.

K

Kieran

Enthusiast
Yeah I tried the tension. No dice. It had no effect. I followed the instructions for setting it correctly, and the wrinkles remain. They are very visible in all conditions, especially when there's motion on screen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would reach out to SI and see what they have to say. I would be interested in their response and would like to see how the experience goes with you.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Some screens indicate to use light heat on the wrinkles. Then wait for it to cool off. Don't know if yours says that in the manual.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

K

Kieran

Enthusiast
I've not seen anything about applying heat in the trouble shooting section of the owners manual. I'll hold off on that one! :oops:

K

Kieran

Enthusiast
I would reach out to SI and see what they have to say. I would be interested in their response and would like to see how the experience goes with you.
So... SI is going to replace the screen!
I emailed back and forth a bit with them, sent them pictures, they looked up my build, and then they called me and said essentially, "we don't have a fix for this, sorry but... we're going to have to replace the screen."
when they said "sorry" I was thinking "OH NO" and then he finished and I was like, "OK!!!"
Still a pain in the neck (and back, and arms and ...) to remove the existing one and install another. But hey pretty good CS if you ask me.
I'll report back here as thing progress. New screen won't even ship for another 2 weeks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So... SI is going to replace the screen!
I emailed back and forth a bit with them, sent them pictures, they looked up my build, and then they called me and said essentially, "we don't have a fix for this, sorry but... we're going to have to replace the screen."
when they said "sorry" I was thinking "OH NO" and then he finished and I was like, "OK!!!"
Still a pain in the neck (and back, and arms and ...) to remove the existing one and install another. But hey pretty good CS if you ask me.
I'll report back here as thing progress. New screen won't even ship for another 2 weeks.
That's about as good as it gets in regards to customer service IMO. Hopefully it all works out well and the new screen looks amazing. Post photos when it is all setup. I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis