School this newbie!

U

Unregistered

Wow finally found a forum for projector advise!!!
Hope you guys can help with some basic questions.
I was looking for an entry level front projector for home movie/game/direcTV viewing use (maybe infocus4805,Epson10+,etc). Will go in the basement and have a large dedicated viewing area but I don't always like to watch everything in the dark.

Some stupid Q's
I was assumming that the DLP technology would be better?
Any other reasonable projectors perform better? (DLP or LCD)

U

Unregistered

Wow 1 keystroke post?

rest of stupid questions:
How large of screen will these produce at say 10 - 15 foot viewing range with pixelization or other veiwing issues??

Are the store bought screens actually the best viewing medium. Or since it is a permanent install would a properly prepped wall be better?? (have a 4X8 foot sheet of pure white/glossy LEXAN in the garage would that work?)

I was really hoping to get some comparison based opinions from the experts!

Thanks
Bob

BTW: will be ceiling mount, so I think I can noise suppress and not worried about size / weight, I really don't care tooo much for fancy options (except input connectivity) was really interested in the best picture that can really be projected the largest!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
DLP usually gets you a little more brightness, but if you have good light control some LCD projectors are just as good. With the DLP we have no problems running directed lighting behind the seating area.

I have a cheap o projector similar to the 4805 and I sit 16 feet back from a 8.5' wide screen. I've never measured it diagonally, but it's probably a bit over 120" (16:9 mode) I can't see screen door until I get to about 10 feet away.

I have a Da-Lite screen that I ordered off the internet. A local boutique had the screen for $1000 and it would take 10 days. I found the same screen on the internet for $400, free shipping, and it took 10 days. Keep in mind that I ordered a custom size screen. We had a projector shootout over here last summer with some of the local a/v guys, many who are DIY people. And they were all amazed at how much better my screen looked with thier projectors than with thier DIY screens. So that's one area I would not skimp on.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are very good reviews of various projectors with various costs associated at www.projectorcentral.com This is the resource that I used when deciding upon a projector.

Keep in mind that front projection is ALWAYS adversely affected by light in the room. So, if you don't want the lights off, then put in lights that are very directional - like some track lighting directly over the seating areas that are more spot lights, than unfocussed general light.

I would take a close look at DLP if you have the cash - nothing less than a Mustang II chip makes sense in the home market because you want contast, Contrast, CONTRAST!

A few new projectors are coming out in just a few weeks including the new Sanyo Z3 and the new Panasonic PT-L700. Both of these are 1280x720 LCD displays with 2000:1 contrast ratios, the Panny proving a brighter image though and a 1-2 zoom lens for a lot more mounting distance options.

For a screen - the best would have to be one of the permanently mounted screens from a company like Stewart ($1,000ish +). You can get inexpesnsive screens, then you can use Goo Systems screen paint, and finally a painted wall. The better your screen, the better the image will look.

Now, pixelation and a 'bad' image will occur based on a few things:
1. How close are you sitting to the screen and how big is it? Do NOT sit closer than about 1.5 times the screen width. So, a 92 inch wide screen should not have viewers closer than about 12 feet, preferably further.

2. What are you feeding the screen? If it is just going to be used for DVD & HDTV & Video games, then make sure you are feeding everything via component or better (DVI etc.). If you feed the projector a VHS tape, then it will look like crap, plain and simple. Also, most standard definition TV ie: CNN, will look really piss-poor on it.

Final point is: What is your overall budget? I personally think that screen technology is not a rapidly changing area, the way projector technology is, so if you are tight, then I would go with a GOOD screen, and a cheaper projector. As you are likely to be really happy with your overall system, then you will want to upgrade to a really nice projector in a few years at which point you will already have a nice screen for it.

I spent about $2K on my projector & screen and am happy, but will be upgrading the screen to a $1K+ screen before upgrading the PJ.

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise you must give 1,000 times.
I've checked out projector central, and it looks like maybe the BENQ PB6200 is about the best value in my price range (although I could go slightly higher, it doesn't look like I will get that much more based on specs). I'm hoping you can confirm some of my thoughts.

I think since I will sometimes be using it for video games sometimes - I will NEED 1024x768 or XGA so as not to force a conversion?

Does this model have the Mustang 2 chip (or equivilant) you guys refer to ?

I've read alot about - 'get a home designed unit / not a boardroom presentation unit'. Unsure if this unit is truely designed for home use - it seems to straddle the line (or are they just trying to market to both?). It looks like (but I'm not sure) that it should have all the inputs I will need. Is it good for home use? Maybe someone has tried it at home and can chime in?

BENQ as a brand - Quality? Durability issues? customer support? sorry but I've never really heard of them until now. Will this brand unit last as long or have any maintenance issues? (I know I will need to change bulbs with use).

Most viewing will be from sattelite/DirecTV and DVD's. I understand 'Progressive scan' for the DVD's and have that covered, but are there any issues (how do I get the best picture?) from my DirecTV sattelite?
What is the right connection from dish to unit? all I really know is it's a digital signal and I want to keep it that way. Probably just a cable, but which input type and what cable?

I like the advise on lighting - as I am finishing the basement currently, I will now incorporate directed lighting.

As far as screens go - my DIY attitude looks like it won't serve me well here.
I was thinking that a good sheet of 3/4 Lexan (think nonflexible) with the right coating would do well for a permanent mount. Most screens I see are board room/pull down type and thought something that was SOLID must be better (but I would never try spackle or wall projection). Even the 1k prefab kits look like nothin more than streched canvas. Looks like other people have already tried but If my thick head has to learn the hard what's the best/ recommended coating? Any other recommendations on a a good screen (on a budget) for comparison? (is the DA-lite the best? want at least 100 inch and your 120 sounds about right).

Sorry to be so long winded, but I REALLY need and will use all the info, and can't THANK YOU guys enough

Bob

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You won't find the HD2+ (Mustang) chip on any projector under $4K right now. The only $4K model is as follows (taken from www.projectorcentral.com)

"Given the aggressive competition from LCD in the low to moderate end of the price range, vendors with DLP-based products are getting more aggressive as well. Perhaps the most noteworthy of the new DLP projectors was the Sharp XV-Z2000. This is the first projector to feature an HD2+ 1280x720 DLP chip to be released with an official estimated selling price under $4,000 ($3,999 to be exact). It is rated at 1200 ANSI lumens and 2500:1 contrast. It is also much smaller than Sharp's more expensive home theater projectors, so this one has portability as a feature. The Z2000 is scheduled to ship in November"

Now, one thing you really want to consider: Is this a MOVIE/HD projector or is it a regular TV/Video game watcher? You see, the 1024x768 projectors are not widescreen format, but are your everyday 4x3 format projectors. BenQ has really made a push into the projector/video market in recent years and is a highly recommended projector for the money. But, I would (personally) never use a 4x3 projector when I mainly view HD & DVD's on my projector. I also play my PS2 on it (when it doesn't give me vertigo) and it has no problem playing my PC widescreen as well. Your PC (if used for gaming) may have a good enough output card that you can specify the exact resolution of the projector (ie: 1280x720 or 1366x768 etc.).

Onwards: Your screen... If you have that really flat, perfect lexan, then maybe a Goo Systems screen paint will work. Check www.projectorcentral.com once again, and there is a review of different screens right here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_screens.htm

Isn't projectorcentral great for this info?

You should VERY SERIOUSLY consider upgrading your DirecTV to an HD model, then connecting it via component to the projector. Likewise, you want to hook your DVD player up component. Some projectors do a better job with converting DVD video from interlaced to progressive internally than having the DVD player itself do it. Either way, send the video component. I use my surround receiver to the projector to do this switching.

Right now, if I were you and could swing (and wait) for the new Sharp, that would be at the very, very top of my list. Then likely the new Z3 (sanyo) or PT-L700 (panasonic). That's me though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis