SB-2000 Pro Parametric EQ

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
Hi. I bought a SVS SB-2000 PRO about a month ago. I have been really enjoying the sub but find myself spending hours adjusting the parametric EQ getting the bass just right.

My setup is a RXV-779 reciever. Yamaha NS-777, 444, 333 speakers and the SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer. My room is kind of small, its about 2,5 meters from the listening position to the speakers. I´ve been using YPAO to setup the system and the EQ on the reciever was automatically set to flat, with a 80hz crossover, speakers on SMALL.

Right of the bat with no EQ i have a huge boost at around 50hz and a smaller boost at around 80hz. From 45 and downwards its loosing about 10db which is very noticible.

I´ve been trying different positions for the sub but it doesnt seem to matter, the boost is still present at 50 and 80hz and its loosing alot at the bottom.

I´ve also spent hours on hours with the parametric EQ app and this is how it´s setup right know.
Screenshot_20210302-113445.jpgScreenshot_20210302-113440.jpgScreenshot_20210302-113434.jpg

With the EQ i have been striving for a linear response, its within +-3db from 80-40hz right now and its loosing 1-2 db going downwards and at around 25hz its boosting a little bit 2db maybe.

I find that rap music with really low bass sounds better now but because of the negative boost in the 50-80hz range most music with alot of mid bass sounds kind of flat unless i crank the gain up alot on the sub but then it´s just to much for it to handle at the lower frequencies 20-40hz.

Two pictures of my setup.

Any tips of what i should do? Just live with it until i move or can i fix the problem in some way?

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
First thing is first. Take the EQ out, and relocate the SW to find the best position first.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This calls for an upgrade to a PC2000 pro.

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
I have done the subwoofer crawl earlier but i will try it again. I am kind of limited in the amount of spots i can place the sub tho.

My "measurements" is just done with a simple phone app which tells me the current decibel and i´ve ran through a 100hz-1hz sweep on Youtube to find the peaks and dips. This one to be exact

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
frekvens.png

I ran REW with my microphone from my gamingheadset, no idea how accurate that is but the peaks and dips seems to be in the same places as i measured with my phone.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
View attachment 45323
I ran REW with my microphone from my gamingheadset, no idea how accurate that is but the peaks and dips seems to be in the same places as i measured with my phone.
First of all, your gaming headset mic is very much the wrong kind of mic to be measuring this stuff. You need a measurement mic. Here is one that is not very expensive. You also need to narrow down the view of the window. In the upper right-hand corner of the graph screen, there is a button labeled 'limits.' You need to use a 50dB window on the Y scale and a 10Hz to 150Hz limit on the X scale. It's not easy to make out what is going on in your graph because the scales are too large.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First of all, your gaming headset mic is very much the wrong kind of mic to be measuring this stuff. You need a measurement mic. Here is one that is not very expensive. You also need to narrow down the view of the window. In the upper right-hand corner of the graph screen, there is a button labeled 'limits.' You need to use a 50dB window on the Y scale and a 10Hz to 150Hz limit on the X scale. It's not easy to make out what is going on in your graph because the scales are too large.
Those need you to fuss with phantom power and all that, don't they? Wouldn't a USB model be better? The Dayton UMM-6 is the usb equivalent https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-UMM-6-USB-Measurement-Microphone-390-808

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are right, I didn't look close enough. Good catch.

Get the USB one, not the passive one that I linked to!
Amazon doesn't seem to have the UMM-6.....but for Dayton I'd generally buy direct from parts-express.com anyhoo.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
41DEF92F-B651-4E3B-943F-57E4806DF831.jpg
61F9C53E-18DC-4F38-88C8-55B24664B657.jpg

so, I thought the goal in using the Audyessy app was to get a flat subwoofer response is that correct?
I have also seen youtube videos that suggest limiting the range of corrections. Is that correct, and by limiting the roll off on either side what can I expect that to do for the sound?
my priority is music first! Thanks for any guidance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 45363View attachment 45364
so, I thought the goal in using the Audyessy app was to get a flat subwoofer response is that correct?
I have also seen youtube videos that suggest limiting the range of corrections. Is that correct, and by limiting the roll off on either side what can I expect that to do for the sound?
my priority is music first! Thanks for any guidance.
Many like using the app to modify the curve away from the general goal of Audyssey to initially provide a flat response. Many do use the app to limit it to sub-schroeder frequencies, but many do like a bit of boost in the bass (so a bit of boost at the low end, gradually tapering off to the high end being a common curve that people tend to prefer).

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
So have recieved the minidsp umik-1 and made some measurements.

The purple graph is with some EQ at 50hz.

The question is however. WHY is it loosing so much DB from 80hz and upwards and what is up with the huge drop att 100hz 140hz??

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern

This is my whole requency curve at the moment.

The red one is with EQ:FLAT and the green is EQ:FLAT with some adjustments in the 100-250hz range. What do u think does it look like poop?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

This is my whole requency curve at the moment.

The red one is with EQ:FLAT and the green is EQ:FLAT with some adjustments in the 100-250hz range. What do u think does it look like poop?
From this graph it looks like your like 30db hot. From 300 down. I wouldn’t say you’re low on output, I think your sub is way too hot. How does it sound? From that I would guess it sounds really off.
Also. What smoothing are you using?

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
From this graph it looks like your like 30db hot. From 300 down. I wouldn’t say you’re low on output, I think your sub is way too hot. How does it sound? From that I would guess it sounds really off.
Also. What smoothing are you using?
Yeah, it was outputting alot of bass thats for sure.

Here are some more measurements, the only thing iv´e done is lower the gain on the subwoofer.

SPL:
I also measured only the sub. The blue line is no EQ on the sub and the green line is with my current settings on the SVS app.

SPL no smoothing: SPL with psychoacoustic smoothing: Phase: Waterfall: Group delay https://i.imgur.com/AU4BNsV.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis