Saving Private Ryan 4k anomaly

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
During the scenes where Tom Hanks is shown with his division after they threw grenades in and blew up the bunkers with the gun turrets I noticed an anomaly. The fires burning in the background have a stretched out vertical effect that is unnatural. And one other scene where the bilingual soldier finally nuts up and shoots the German that they allowed to leave after being captured earlier. When he is shown aiming his gun barrel down at the German he just shot everything looks sort of funky and incorrect as well.

I'm using the Panasonic UB-820 player with a single blue jeans certified HDMI going to my Marantz SR5012 and another HDMI connecting this AVR to the ARC on my Sony A9f.

The receiver doesn't process the image unless you ask it too as is my understanding. It's job is to simply allow pass through of HDR and Dolby Vision. Am I correct? I know Sony TVs utilize a slight variation of Dolby Vision so I'm wondering if the Marantz isn't properly passing through compatible Dolby Vision although the player is compatible with Sony.

Trying to troubleshoot why Saving Private Ryan showed these anomalies. I haven't had any issues with other discs thus far.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know why your cable is relevant unless you've noticed issues with it. The receiver may or may not be set to process video, you'd have to tell us what your settings are. Could just be the way the movie was transferred to that medium if it wasn't inherent in the original film (was it even film?).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Don't know why your cable is relevant unless you've noticed issues with it. The receiver may or may not be set to process video, you'd have to tell us what your settings are. Could just be the way the movie was transferred to that medium if it wasn't inherent in the original film (was it even film?).
Pretty sure it was film, but I haven't noticed these issues with my 4K copy of that movie. I'll have to look at those specific scenes.

Would help if I had a time stamp for them.

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Simply indicating that my cables are up to spec for 4k.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Simply indicating that my cables are up to spec for 4k.
But your post didn't specify anything but the brand and that it's certified, not what it's certified for (you could have purchased it back when hdmi demands weren't as high as for latest/greatest 4k)....and while I believe they put out an excellent product, hard to just say "that can't be the issue" as it isn't always true just because it's from a good company....it would be more interesting to say you had swapped such cable for another to make sure it wasn't the issue (altho this doesn't sound like a cable issue at all).

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
Pretty sure it was film, but I haven't noticed these issues with my 4K copy of that movie. I'll have to look at those specific scenes.

Would help if I had a time stamp for them.
It was like the luminance and coloring of the fire was streaked vertically. First is around 25 minutes and the other around 2 hours 35 minutes.

Attachments

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It was like the luminance and coloring of the fire was streaked vertically. First is around 25 minutes and the other around 2 hours 35 minutes.
Yep, mine has that too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if the other optical disc versions all have this or did JJ Abrams sneak in and give it a little flare? :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I wonder if the other optical disc versions all have this or did JJ Abrams sneak in and give it a little flare? :)
I’ve got the first regular dvd version of this and it’s there too . I do remember there being talk of this artifact in this when it first came out there was a reason but that’s been a good while ago . If memory serves me it was something to do with the visual representation of the fog of war . But I do remember talk of this .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I seem to recall that being present even in the theater. It isn't an artifact or issue with the disc encoding, AFAIK. Whether or not it was intentional during filming, or simply occurred as a result of how it was shot, it was left in.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I have this exact same issue and have had it with the 4K version on multiple TV/AVR/UHD Blu Ray players. At this point I firmly believe it’s our batch of discs, at first I thought maybe it was my tv and Denon x4300h but after upgrading my TV to a Samsung QN95 and a Denon 8500h as well as upgrading from a Panasonic UB-900 to a UB-9000 I can confirm the issue still persists. My original viewing was with the Denon and a Vizio PQ65-F1 (a user on here actually bought off me) so I chocked it up to a Dolby Vision issue with the tv but with the Samsung it only does HDR10 and I get the same result. I even tried it on an Oppo 203 and my screen looks exactly like yours.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis