H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Just curious what the opinions are for the above topic.. I have my new TV and currently have shaw digital cabe but am noticing the analog channels are prety horrible on a big screen so was curious what everyone else has.. Star choice, shaw, bell express ?? THose are my only 3 opions over here for now..

Which will give me the best picture overall ?

I have the 50" sony wega HDTV as an fyi.

Thanks.

G

Grimis

Junior Audioholic
how many posts before i can start a new thread?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
hd newbie said:
Just curious what the opinions are for the above topic.. I have my new TV and currently have shaw digital cabe but am noticing the analog channels are prety horrible on a big screen so was curious what everyone else has.. Star choice, shaw, bell express ?? THose are my only 3 opions over here for now..

Which will give me the best picture overall ?

I have the 50" sony wega HDTV as an fyi.

Thanks.
Satellite will give you the best picture on a standard feed (480i or less). The pq is not reduced by how many people are sharing the feed, as is with cable. My signal is reduced with digital cable after dinnertime since so many are watching. It's similar with internet cable speed - always slower at night. HD channels are perfect though, but there's just not enough of them. Digital channels are very good, too.

The benefit with cable is that it's perfect if you have a tv in every room of the house. It's just not economical to rent all those satellite boxes in every room of the house with satellite.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I think it all depends on where you live and what cable choice you have. Personally, I chose Dish satellite over my local Comcast. Great HD package, but pricey for the high-count packages. Very good picture quality and reliability.

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I HATE satellite - it takes forever for the channels to appear when browsing through the channels.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
I have Time Warner cable and in the three years I've had it, I think it's only gone out once or twice...that's pretty good. I have no complaints about the video quality either and I live in Houston (LOTS of people).

However, I don't use the HD channels because I have no HD TV yet so I'm only speaking about basic analog and digital channels.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
IF you have marginal signal and the picture is grainy/snowy, a properly placed amplifier can help. But in general, amplifiers increase distortion while increasing levels. If your signal level is good to all sets, you shouldn't bother.

That one on the second link looks pretty good (although I prefer the Motorola beside it) - the first one listed is for satellite.

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Marcel, how can you tell that it is just for satelite ? The heading says satellite, cable and internet. Just curious this way if I se something else I dont buy a wrong product...

Cheers !!

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
If you look at the device, it's labeled LNB and RCVR - it's designed to be powered from a satellite receiver and provide a little bit of gain for long runs to the dish. The bandwidth of the amp (the frequencies it amplifies) is'nt correct for Cable TV applications.

G

Grimis

Junior Audioholic
Why can I not post new threads? please help i have questions

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
NO idea grimis... I havent had any problems posting a new thread and i'm new to the site as well maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Grimis said:
Why can I not post new threads? please help i have questions
You need registration confirmation. You are not a bonified member yet. What's your question?

G

Grimis

Junior Audioholic
how do i get registration confirmation... one question is will an early 90's cd player work well with a new receiver... i'm thinking like a $400 receiver, not sure which one though... i'll prolly spend 200 a pair on 3 or 4 pairs of speakers, it's for stereo through a house... not a HT.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Grimis said:
how do i get registration confirmation... one question is will an early 90's cd player work well with a new receiver... i'm thinking like a $400 receiver, not sure which one though... i'll prolly spend 200 a pair on 3 or 4 pairs of speakers, it's for stereo through a house... not a HT.
Yes, any cd player will work with a new receiver. You'll need a separate speaker selector box if you're running that many pairs of speakers to different rooms.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had satellite for awhiel and was perfectly happy with it until the dish broke. It took nearly three weeks to send a technician to fix it. The slack-jawed hill scoggin they sent over to "fix" it hadn't bathed in a good long while, kept turning the reciever box on and off (hoping the dish on the roof would magically repair itself), didn't bring a ladder to get on the roof even though we told the company the problem was with the dish on the roof. So he phones his HQ and orders .... another reciever box!

So the wife bicthed at the company for a while and we ordered cable (we got a cable/internet/phone package). The technician was clean, wore clothes that fit, and even knew exactly what he was doing! The picture looks the same on my TV as sat, so I think I'll stick with cable for now.

PS: The cable-companies digital phone suck however. In the firsdt week we've lost signal totally for over 20 hours, and on a percentage of calls, the other party can't hear us.

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Satellite will give you the best picture on a standard feed (480i or less). The pq is not reduced by how many people are sharing the feed, as is with cable. My signal is reduced with digital cable after dinnertime since so many are watching. It's similar with internet cable speed - always slower at night. HD channels are perfect though, but there's just not enough of them. Digital channels are very good, too.

The benefit with cable is that it's perfect if you have a tv in every room of the house. It's just not economical to rent all those satellite boxes in every room of the house with satellite.
You don't rent sat boxes, you own them. And in STL, it really isn't more cost-effective to go with sat or not, other than not dealing with Charter is pure joy. I wish I didn't rely on them for the net, although it's fairly reliable to be fair. Poor weather can kill cable as quickly as sat, since that's how cable gets their feed as well. Plus, for a good laugh, look inside a distro box for cable. Look out for the rodent that may have taken up residence in there though...LOL

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis