Samsung plasma power supply

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
I have a 4 year old Samsung F8500 plasma TV with a blown power supply. Samsung no longer manufactures this part and my old board cannot be repaired. Any suggestions? For an $1800 TV not to last four years is inexcusable. Samsung tech services has been worse than useless. Needless to say this is the last Samsung product I will buy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 4 year old Samsung F8500 plasma TV with a blown power supply. Samsung no longer manufactures this part and my old board cannot be repaired. Any suggestions? For an $1800 TV not to last four years is inexcusable. Samsung tech services has been worse than useless. Needless to say this is the last Samsung product I will buy.
Decent TVs are hard to find now. That TV is done. They should have spares for seven years. Boards are only made once, and when they are gone, they are gone.

I would say this expensive gear should be protected. There is a good possibility that this is not Samsung's fault, but your AC power.

If you have expensive gear, use whole house surge protection, a good idea anyway, and supply expensive units from Uninterruptible Power Supplies.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
TLS, thanks for your reply. Apparently the power supply failure for Samsung TV's is not unusual. My TV is connected to a surge protector along with other components that are working fine. I also have an older Panasonic plasma also unaffected by any power surge that may have caused my Samsung's power supply to fail.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
TLS, thanks for your reply. Apparently the power supply failure for Samsung TV's is not unusual. My TV is connected to a surge protector along with other components that are working fine. I also have an older Panasonic plasma also unaffected by any power surge that may have caused my Samsung's power supply to fail.
Have you tried searching ebay for a replacement board?

Can you make the board swap yourself?

Not ideal, but may be your only chance.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
So far the only way to get a replacement (rebuilt) power supply board is to exchange the old board. I'm in the process of trying to get my old board back from the TV repair service that diagnosed the problem in the first place. He sent the board to someone else to be repaired. The guy is turning into kind of a flake so I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So far the only way to get a replacement (rebuilt) power supply board is to exchange the old board. I'm in the process of trying to get my old board back from the TV repair service that diagnosed the problem in the first place. He sent the board to someone else to be repaired. The guy is turning into kind of a flake so I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.
Sometimes those shops can be very slow. They don't seem to be in any sort of hurry. Especially since they may be your only shot at fixing it.

That was a very nice TV so I hope it can be fixed. Hard to replace those now since plasma has gone out of style.

A

ArKay QA

Audiophyte
Why do you say your PS Board can't be repaired?

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
The tech at the shop said the board couldn't be fixed. So I was trying (ultimately unsuccessfully) to get the board back. Apparently there are many places that fix these damaged boards. Was going for a second opinion.

In the meantime I managed to locate a NEW board for a couple hundred bucks. It's installed and the TV is working beautifully. Whew! Dodged a bullet!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The tech at the shop said the board couldn't be fixed. So I was trying (ultimately unsuccessfully) to get the board back. Apparently there are many places that fix these damaged boards. Was going for a second opinion.

In the meantime I managed to locate a NEW board for a couple hundred bucks. It's installed and the TV is working beautifully. Whew! Dodged a bullet!
Awesome. That's what I was going to suggest. It's much easier than having some shop try to repair it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis