Samsung plasma power cycling?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
So we had a power surge here today, lost power for about 30 seconds and then back on. All of my equipment seems fine except my Samsung plasma is constantly power cycling. I’ve tried unplugging it for 10 mins and plugging it back in but it just keeps doing it. Is it time for a new tv? Or any other suggestions? I hate losing a plasma but not sure about the cost/benefit of repairs anymore

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So we had a power surge here today, lost power for about 30 seconds and then back on. All of my equipment seems fine except my Samsung plasma is constantly power cycling. I’ve tried unplugging it for 10 mins and plugging it back in but it just keeps doing it. Is it time for a new tv? Or any other suggestions? I hate losing a plasma but not sure about the cost/benefit of repairs anymore
The power supplies on those Samsung plasmas do not tolerate even small power glitches without going caput. This exact same thing happened to some friends of ours some years ago. Samsung did not have boards available, which they should have done. I did find a guy who was rebuilding those boards, and had an exchange program. So I swapped the power supply, and the TV worked until a few months ago, when the screen malfunctioned.

I do think that Samsung TVs seem a raw deal. From what I have noted with the experience of friends, is that Samsung TVs should be avoided.

My advice is the recycle that TV and replace it with an LG or Sony OLED.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have a 13 year old Panasonic 50 inch plasma that still functions like new.

Panasonic was supposed to market OLED TV sets in North America in 2022 but so far, there's no indication that whey will soon. I hope they do soon as they make reliable and good lasting products. When it happens, I wouldn't hesitate to replace my dying plasma with one of their new sets.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The power supplies on those Samsung plasmas do not tolerate even small power glitches without going caput. This exact same thing happened to some friends of ours some years ago. Samsung did not have boards available, which they should have done. I did find a guy who was rebuilding those boards, and had an exchange program. So I swapped the power supply, and the TV worked until a few months ago, when the screen malfunctioned.

I do think that Samsung TVs seem a raw deal. From what I have noted with the experience of friends, is that Samsung TVs should be avoided.

My advice is the recycle that TV and replace it with an LG or Sony OLED.
For people renting or living in apartments where there is no on line surge protection, I suggest the following product. I'm using one to protect my Panasonic plasma:

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My Panasonic Plasma is also over 13 years old and still working great. It's survived the few power outages over the years but I always disconnect power to my AV devices during a black out and wait for stable power for turning things back on again. A battery backup supply or regulator as suggested is always a good idea for sensitive electronics if you don't have surge supression or have unreliable power, although NA grids are pretty stable.

As to the op's question, that depends on whether you have a reputable repair technician in your area. Some don't like to work on flat panel TVs due to the size, but a power supply repair should not be a huge expense with an experienced tech. You have to weigh the cost vs a new TV, depending on what you can afford. Plasma's have a wide viewing angle and relatively deep blacks, so would you be happy with an inexpensive LCD or would you need to step up to a QLED or OLED to get the same or better picture quality? That plasma will be 1080p so a new TV will be at least 4k and with modern upscaling the image will be better even with 1080 sources. This may be an opportunity to upgrade to a larger set as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried Samsung support? I have a coupla 12 year old Samsung plasmas (D7000 & D8000) but without any sort of issues. I was looking in my manuals for a different reset than power cycling like you're doing, like a factory or microprocessor reset, but don't see anything. I know there's a service menu in my models (accessed by a particular combination of commands on the remote), I've peeked at it just to see total hours a coupla times, there may be something there in the way of a diagnostic but be careful, apparently easy to go wrong in that menu if you don't know what you're doing. There are some extensive threads on particular model ranges at avsforum that may be of help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see there are now a raft of people offering refurbished power supplies for Samsung plasma TVs. They must be lousy enough that it is providing a living for some.

Replacing the power supply board was not that difficult, so something you cold do if you are in the least bit handy. Do not spend a fortune on it, as the next problem will be screen failure and that is the end of the road for them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Panasonic Plasma is also over 13 years old and still working great. It's survived the few power outages over the years but I always disconnect power to my AV devices during a black out and wait for stable power for turning things back on again. A battery backup supply or regulator as suggested is always a good idea for sensitive electronics if you don't have surge supression or have unreliable power, although NA grids are pretty stable.

As to the op's question, that depends on whether you have a reputable repair technician in your area. Some don't like to work on flat panel TVs due to the size, but a power supply repair should not be a huge expense with an experienced tech. You have to weigh the cost vs a new TV, depending on what you can afford. Plasma's have a wide viewing angle and relatively deep blacks, so would you be happy with an inexpensive LCD or would you need to step up to a QLED or OLED to get the same or better picture quality? That plasma will be 1080p so a new TV will be at least 4k and with modern upscaling the image will be better even with 1080 sources. This may be an opportunity to upgrade to a larger set as well.
The Panny plasma in our great room was purchased in 2008, the one in our family room in 2010. So 15 and 13 years old. They have been powered via APC UPS units. Also whole house surge protection.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Panny plasma in our great room was purchased in 2008, the one in our family room in 2010. So 15 and 13 years old. They have been powered via APC UPS units. Also whole house surge protection.
Yeah, I've been thinking about UPS for my AV gear. Should probably get off my butt and take care of that. Battery backup for TV and AVR and then surge suppression should be enough for other components. Would take a big unit to get everything on battery.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah, I've been thinking about UPS for my AV gear. Should probably get off my butt and take care of that. Battery backup for TV and AVR and then surge suppression should be enough for other components. Would take a big unit to get everything on battery.
You don't want to put an AVR on a UPS as it has power amps and the power draw fluctuates too much. The only items in my rigs not on UPS devices are my power amps.
I use only AVPs and that is one of many reasons I use them.
Surge power protection should be placed at the entry to the residence, or at the main panel. Entry to the residence is best, then the voltage spike does not get into the residence.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
My Pioneer plasma, purchased in 2007, is still working fine.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 13 year old Panasonic 50 inch plasma that still functions like new.

Panasonic was supposed to market OLED TV sets in North America in 1922 but so far, there's no indication that whey will soon. I hope they do soon as they make reliable and good lasting products. When it happens, I wouldn't hesitate to replace my dying plasma with one of their new sets.
North America in 1922 ???

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

My Panny Plasma is still working as well, NO issues at all ........ Knocking on wood all around me.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You don't want to put an AVR on a UPS as it has power amps and the power draw fluctuates too much. The only items in my rigs not on UPS devices are my power amps.
I use only AVPs and that is one of many reasons I use them.
Surge power protection should be placed at the entry to the residence, or at the main panel. Entry to the residence is best, then the voltage spike does not get into the residence.
I've only seen surge devices that install in the panel. A little research revealed type 1 devices that install on the meter and some companies recommend both a type 1 device at the meter and a type 2 in the panel.

Pioneer and Panasonic had the best plasmas back then. If the op wants to keep the Samsung and there are working power modules available, that's probably the best solution. It's the labour costs that will add up fast and swapping modules will be the quickest repair.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My Panny Plasma is still working as well, NO issues at all ........ Knocking on wood all around me.
Plasmas, except maybe the Samsung sets, are pretty reliable. Let's wait and see how long the current OLED sets will last.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've only seen surge devices that install in the panel. A little research revealed type 1 devices that install on the meter and some companies recommend both a type 1 device at the meter and a type 2 in the panel.

Pioneer and Panasonic had the best plasmas back then. If the op wants to keep the Samsung and there are working power modules available, that's probably the best solution. It's the labour costs that will add up fast and swapping modules will be the quickest repair.
The board swap that I did was very straightforward and only took about 20 minutes.
Plasmas, except maybe the Samsung sets, are pretty reliable. Let's wait and see how long the current OLED sets will last.
OLED panels are alleged to have a life of 100,000 hours. So for most users that should be 10 years at least. I am at four years now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

My VT60 is 12 years old and still gets used daily. I need to see how many hours are on that thing. I'm starting to get what I can only describe as "spots of pink" on the screen. Really only visible with a pure white screen, but probably a sign that I need to keep my eye out for a replacement. If it impacted TV watching at all I'd have already replaced it.

highfigh

highfigh

I think that part of the reason the Panasonic plasma TVs have survived for so long, including mine, is that they needed a more robust power supply. The newer TVs like Frame by Samsung can be powered by their stupid One Box via the umbilical because they only use about 100W, so they only leave a few percent of headroom but as soon as a surge hits, poof!

highfigh

highfigh

My VT60 is 12 years old and still gets used daily. I need to see how many hours are on that thing. I'm starting to get what I can only describe as "spots of pink" on the screen. Really only visible with a pure white screen, but probably a sign that I need to keep my eye out for a replacement. If it impacted TV watching at all I'd have already replaced it.
Try using a different cable. The only times I have seen pink on TVs, especially Panasonic, was because the cable was bad and in those cases, the whole screen went pink.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis