Samsung HW-N850 Soundbar -I want more bass

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
Guys, Ive purchased a Samsung HW-N850 Soundbar and am disappointed with the bass. I have turned up the bass in the EQ menu to the max, and also the wireless subwoofer is set to max. It has 2 x HDMI inputs and also a HDMI (ARC) output. Any suggestions?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you need better speakers/subs....how much do you need the soundbar form factor?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not much of a woofer. It's definitely not a "sub"-woofer.

We're gonna need some more info, such as room size and how far you sit from your speakers. Subwoofers see all of the area that's open to the room. The bigger the space, the bigger and more powerful sub you're gonna need if you want real bass. That little unit you have would struggle in a small room.

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
Thank guys for the tips. I'm happy to invest in a bigger sub, just not sure whether I can connect it to the soundbar as the existing sub connects wirelessly via Bluetooth. There is no subwoofer output to connect one to it via cable. Do you think I could connect a second sub via bluetooth?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A problem with soundbars is that they are often meant only to work with the gear it is packaged with (same for HTIB setups to an extent as well). They aren't a component system meant to work with audio gear of your choice. I doubt you can add a sub to that myself (unless you maybe find another sub from this same Samsung package and go with duals....but from your description I'd bet this still won't satisfy you). I'd recommend standard components not only for flexibility, but actual performance. If the form factor of a soundbar is important I'd look at better quality soundbars.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What you can try without it costing anything is move the ‘sub’ to another spot and see if the bass improves or not. Closer to a corner or a wall should increase output some.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
You would do better with PC sub. I’ve seen one can’t remember the name but it had 1000 watt peak and the thing cane with 5 satellite speakers for less than 5 bills:)

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
What you can try without it costing anything is move the ‘sub’ to another spot and see if the bass improves or not. Closer to a corner or a wall should increase output some.
I tried that with my Samsung wireless sub and it muddied up the sound. Nothing worse than a low performance sub whining in a corner like a strangled dogo_O

Using boundary gain for such a sub is only making a poor sound louder. It has no more output than 120 hz low end at 85 db peak 100 million % distortion.

I’m surprised these little subs don’t blow up the first time Darth Vader speaks Luke..... boom your Father!:eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank guys for the tips. I'm happy to invest in a bigger sub, just not sure whether I can connect it to the soundbar as the existing sub connects wirelessly via Bluetooth. There is no subwoofer output to connect one to it via cable. Do you think I could connect a second sub via bluetooth?
Like HD said, unfortunately those little self contained systems usually only work together. How invested are you with your current setup? We can help you put something together that would blow your current setup out of the water without breaking the bank. Need a little more info on your space constraints and listening habits if you're interested in exploring other options. If you stick with a soundbar I think they can get pretty pricey before you get into decent quality.

Just to give you an idea, these DCM TP 160S' are very, very good for the price. They sound way better than they should for $83 a pair. You won't find any better at that price.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So I would return it if you still can. Like others have mentioned already, it’s a “closed system”, meaning you can’t add to it. And like you said, the sub is maxed out so best thing to try now is placing it in a corner to increase its output a little.

Good luck! :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Like HD said, unfortunately those little self contained systems usually only work together. How invested are you with your current setup? We can help you put something together that would blow your current setup out of the water without breaking the bank. Need a little more info on your space constraints and listening habits if you're interested in exploring other options. If you stick with a soundbar I think they can get pretty pricey before you get into decent quality.

Just to give you an idea, these DCM TP 160S' are very, very good for the price. They sound way better than they should for $83 a pair. You won't find any better at that price.
Wow amazing value. Are they on sale or something? Soundbars simply aren’t meant to be super loud and the subs are whimpy . Any real powerful sub would overpower a soundbars even if you found a way to hook them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
A problem with soundbars is that they are often meant only to work with the gear it is packaged with (same for HTIB setups to an extent as well). They aren't a component system meant to work with audio gear of your choice. I doubt you can add a sub to that myself (unless you maybe find another sub from this same Samsung package and go with duals....but from your description I'd bet this still won't satisfy you). I'd recommend standard components not only for flexibility, but actual performance. If the form factor of a soundbar is important I'd look at better quality soundbars.
Thanks for that. I dont necessarily need the soundbar form factor I have room for separates instead. If I were to sell the souundbar what separates would you reccomend that I could use for my TV and also music? Budget £500 - £800

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
That's not much of a woofer. It's definitely not a "sub"-woofer.

We're gonna need some more info, such as room size and how far you sit from your speakers. Subwoofers see all of the area that's open to the room. The bigger the space, the bigger and more powerful sub you're gonna need if you want real bass. That little unit you have would struggle in a small room.
Thanks. my room is very large, approx 6m x 6m and i sit 3m from the TV. Do you think I could simply buy a beefier sub that accepts bluetooth connection?

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
Thanks. I dont necessarily need the soundbar form factor I have room for separates instead. If I were to sell the souundbar what separates would you reccomend that I could use for my TV and also music? Budget £500 - £800

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for that. I dont necessarily need the soundbar form factor I have room for separates instead. If I were to sell the souundbar what separates would you reccomend that I could use for my TV and also music? Budget £500 - £800
This is definitely the route that I would recommend. I'm assuming you're in the UK? I'm not as familiar with what's available to you out there, but we do have some members from the UK who do. Just hang tight and I think you'll start getting some pretty good suggestions.

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm happy to send the HW-N850 back and go for a separates system for the TV and also music. I sit 3m from the TV. The room is 6m x 6m. Budget £500 - £800. What would you recommend/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I dont necessarily need the soundbar form factor I have room for separates instead. If I were to sell the souundbar what separates would you reccomend that I could use for my TV and also music? Budget £500 - £800
Well, that separates term isn't quite right, that's a term referring to separating the pre-amp from amplifier and tuner into separate units and would add quite a bit to your expense; an AVR (audio video receiver) would be more cost effective....brands like Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo/Integra and Yamaha offer avrs that would work well, maybe even Cambridge Audio there. Speaker choices there maybe check out Q-Acoustics, Tannoy, Wharfdale to start. You have a good sub company in BK Elec there in the UK. You may want to start smaller, like with a 2.0 or 2.1 system and build from there rather than go too cheap on speakers/sub to start. Maybe @Andrein or others in your area can give you some shopping ideas....

Mikesolan

Mikesolan

Enthusiast
This is definitely the route that I would recommend. I'm assuming you're in the UK? I'm not as familiar with what's available to you out there, but we do have some members from the UK who do. Just hang tight and I think you'll start getting some pretty good suggestions.
Yes Uk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis