Samsung Dual Format Player

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Adding fuel to the ever pesent high-def format "war", Samsung announced that in late Q4 they will release their new dual format player dubbed BD-UP5000. It is reported that it will support not only Bluray but HD-DVD entirely (HDi), also BD Java interactive components. Pricing hasn't been reported yet, but most likely it will be set to compete against LG's dual format machine.

It just goes to prove that the format war hasn't gone one way or the other yet and Samsung like LG is seeing the writing on the wall, smart move not to put all your eggs in one basket. If this trend continues and more manufacturers go this way the "war" will be a moot point.

View the Audioholics News Article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If by "moot point" you mean that a $1500 player is the solution... lol. Don't forget all the manufacturers that have a stake on one format vs. the other. You can be sure they won't be making dual-format players.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Mr. D,

Well that 1500.00 player will not always be 1500.00 and yes I believe other manufacturers will jump the fence if the "dualys" take off. It's getting interesting. If your player can play any format, I'd say you're ahead of the game. For now there are two players, give them time and you're going to see the rats jump ship.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You could get the Samsung BD-P1000 and the HD-A2 combonation for less than $1500, LOL.:) The BD-P1000 goes for $500-700 now and the HD-A2 goes for $300-400. It doesn't make the Samsung multi-format desirable to me.

I wrote this up on the site... The key, I believe, will be how far will the tech prices drop by the time they go to mass production. We'll have to see and I'll pry at CEDIA in September to get an estimated price - it should be pretty formalized by then.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I doubt it will hit the market with an MSRP above $1k.

I personally would like to see $299 machines at Xmas.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
LOL! By proclaiming HD/Blu doomed is like saying quit buying those widescreen TV as HD is dead.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
You could get the Samsung BD-P1000 and the HD-A2 combonation for less than $1500, LOL.:) The BD-P1000 goes for $500-700 now and the HD-A2 goes for $300-400. It doesn't make the Samsung multi-format desirable to me.
But then you have to deal with inputs on your receiver/pre-pro and TV, not to mention space in general.

I am hoping for a cost effective universal that also does SACD and DVD-A. Is that too much to ask?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I am hoping for a cost effective universal that also does SACD and DVD-A. Is that too much to ask?
Yes indeed! lol

So they would have to play cd, cd-r, cd+r, dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd9 (DL), sacd, dvd-a, hd-dvd, bd and the list goes on (im sure im missing some...). What kind of hardware do you think it would take!? lol Actually i don't have a clue. But something sure is that it would cost a lot of money to develop, thus your 1500$ price tag.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Yes indeed! lol

So they would have to play cd, cd-r, cd+r, dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd9 (DL), sacd, dvd-a, hd-dvd, bd and the list goes on (im sure im missing some...). What kind of hardware do you think it would take!? lol Actually i don't have a clue. But something sure is that it would cost a lot of money to develop, thus your 1500$ price tag.
But Oppo does all of that now except for HD-DVD and BD, at a very affordable price. So I think there is hope. :)

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
Until the HD wars are over... this is the only type of player I'd be interested in. I have no interest in trying to decide which is better and for what reason, and I think there are a lot of NON technophiles out there that are in the same boat. If a salesman can walk Joe user up to a machine that is priced slightly more than the other two and can say that it'll work with both... then I'm sure he'll make a sale.

I think this will do one of two things... either other companies will follow suit, or the price of individual players will drop so that the cost of a dually is absurd.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis