Samsung Blue Phase LCD Tech Does 240Hz

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Samsung Electronics announced today that it has developed the world’s first “Blue Phase” LCD panel – which will offer the ridiculously fast image-driving speed of 240 Hz. Samsung is planning to unveil a 15” model of its Blue Phase LCD panel at SID (Society for Information Display) 2008, which will be held in Los Angeles from May 18 to 23. Before you get all excited, however, we're still classifying this as very "prototype-hype" technology since, while promising, it isn't slated for mass production until sometime in 2011.

Discuss "Samsung Blue Phase LCD Tech Does 240Hz" here. Read the article.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm more interested in new technology that actually gets made and put into our hands. Most just seem to get talked about a lot. We'll see what happens in a few years.

Jack

itschris

itschris

Interesting I guess, but I'm with you. Who cares about a TV coming out in 2011? Tell me what you can do for me today. I get pissed when companies like Emotiva delay their stuff a couple of months, so what happens 2-3 years down the road doesn't mean anything to me. Besides, in that time, something will likely eclipse or begin to eclipse current technology. It's likely that OLED maybe the next big thing.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
No need for 240 Hz driven panel. No consumer will ever view content that needs that kind of refresh rate.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hurray! I can finally watch all the 240 fps content I have laying around my house at it's native frame rate!

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Bah! This is from the same company that can't get their 100Hz mode to work right in their latest LE-5 and LE-6 series...

If they actually video processed signal correctly at 240Hz, images on the screen would be able to swiftly jump across the screen in near-perfect clarity. Unfortuntely, it's often the case that the video processor can't keep up and artifacts abound on more complex material.

We'll have to wait and see...

As a side note - 240Hz (120Hz, etc) is NOT about what the native frame rate is. The video processor does interpolation and fills in more frames, reducing motion blur and allowing images to stay in focus while the move across the screen. 240Hz simply has the added benefit of dividing evenly with both 24fps and 30fps.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I didn't care/saw a difference with 120hz (apart the "smooth-movement" technologies that made the picture appear fake). Let alone 240hz. When will we hit the mHz?

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
As a side note - 240Hz (120Hz, etc) is NOT about what the native frame rate is. The video processor does interpolation and fills in more frames, reducing motion blur and allowing images to stay in focus while the move across the screen. 240Hz simply has the added benefit of dividing evenly with both 24fps and 30fps.
Not to be simple or nothin...but isn't 120Hz evenly divisible by 24 and 30 as well? I'm sure it's nice but it does seem a little gimmicky (to my laymen ears anyway!). As you mentioned Clint, wouldn't it be better for them to improve the processing so it could keep up with out the artifacts?

U

upyourkilt

Enthusiast
240 Hertz Refresh......What a joke!

Samsung can't even get 120 Hertz right! Why would I care for 240!

Not to be simple or nothin...but isn't 120Hz evenly divisible by 24 and 30 as well?
[Spinal Tap Reference]Well it's one better, isn't it?[/reference]

Seriously, you're absolutely correct in the sense that they must be able to correctly process the video or all of the increased frequency is worth nothing. What's potentially exciting about this is the advanced LCD technology behind it.

I do notice a TON of motion blur these days and I'd love to get a clearer image on the screen, so I'm paying close attention to see who gets it right.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Bah! This is from the same company that can't get their 100Hz mode to work right in their latest LE-5 and LE-6 series...
Samsung seems to have corrected the problems with their latest LCD series.
A samsung tech "released" a firmware for the 5 and 6 series. This firmware corrects the problems with the 100Hz, 24fps and a few other niggles. This firmware is working in the UK. It should be official in a few days.

Maybe there's hope after all :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
But, if the original frame has blur in it due to speed of motion and low camera shutter speed, how would this be eliminated?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I thought the main reason for the motion blurring that can be seen with LCDs is image retention on the retina and the only effective solutions are to either insert blank frames between real frames to mimic CRT/Plasma behaviour or to do a LOT of interpolation and have motion prediction frames. The latter hasn't been very successful so far though. I also thought I read something about LCD having issues with blanking frames too because of non-deterministic times for pixel twisting (depending on the colour).

Or am I wrong?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis