Samsung 8000 46" 240Hz 1/4" bowed screen?

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Hello all. I am in Md, and talked my parents into a new tv when their 32" 1984 wood paneled Mitsu died out recently. knowing their penchant for not buying new tvs, I talked them into a Samsung 8000 series. They also purchased and had installed the new AT&T Uverse. They are in CT, and I am in MD so I cannot check into their setup right now. I am hoping they set it all up with HDMI, but I doubt it. My problem is that they say they have no difference between SD and HD channels. My father put a level across the top of the tv and their is a 1/4" bap in the middle, meaning the screan is bowed. Is this actually normal? They store they bought it from told them that the screen wouldn't work if it was bowed, and I am sceptical. They were buying from Best buy as they had a sale, but decided instead to buy from a smaller store in the area to support the little guy. Any info would be appreciated. They are coming out here this Monday and have promised to bring me digital pics of the back of the TV conncetions and the Uverse connections. Thanks for any input!

Don

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
What was it about the Samsung 8000 series that made you talk your parents into buying it?

That question aside, there are many potential reasons why SD and HD would appear the same on any given display:

- they might be using a composite or S-Video connection
- they might have bought an SD-only Uverse box by mistake
- they might have bought an HD Uverse box, but only signed up for SD service
- they might only be tuning to SD channels, not realizing that the HD feed is on a different channel number
- they might have every "whiz bang" feature turned on in the display, creating so many artifacts and artificial "enhancements" that the image is distorted beyond recognition
- they might be viewing the UN8000 with some lights on, in which case, the only thing they can see is their own reflection because the screen surface is more reflective than a mirror!
- they might be viewing the UN8000 ever so slightly off to one side of center or the other, in which case the colours are so distorted that they cannot tell the difference
- they might have the useless "240 Hz" mode turned on, in which case, everything looks like a choppy, artifact-filled mess.

You know what? It really doesn't matter what the reason is. The best advice is to return the over-priced, under-performing UN8000 and buy a display that is actually good, such as a Panasonic G10 or (better yet) V10 plasma. A Samsung plasma would also be a better choice, as would be a B550 series Samsung LCD. An LG LS series LCD would also be better.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I'm just sick to my stomach from seeing so many people shell out so much money for these LED edge-lit LCDs and then wondering why their images look like crap when they spent so much money for "the latest and greatest". LED Edge-lit LCDs are crap...plain and simple. They are a prime example of form over function. If they were significantly cheaper than other displays? Fine. But they are significantly more expensive! And they deliver sub-standard image quality in return for being so thin that they actually physically bow and flex.

If you want to give your parents good advice, tell them to return the UN8000 display and buy a TV that is actually good - not just new and "cool".

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info. I saw them at a few places and really liked the looks of them and the picture. I will def have to have a talk with them and figure out what they have set up. I know they have DH service and I know they are switching the channels to see the diff, but other than that I am not sure what they are doing. Will also have to check into other tvs as well it seems.

Don

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis