Votes: 6 66.7%
  • VTV amp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI amp

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I've been bouncing all around different brand pages and reviews and I do like that ATI is a USA company and has a SEVEN year warranty. I would like to at least talk to Buckeye Amps before any major decisions but the warranty from ATI is mighty enticing considering I'm dealing with a broken amp right now.

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT522NC $2000 250W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT542NC $2700 650W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 4000-2 $2700 250W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 6002 $3600 350W

I'm high on coffee and I'm totally lost in the matrix of terms I don't understand, brands, models, reviews, forums etc etc..... BUT what are people (hopefully ones that know a LOT more than I do) thoughts about going with something BI - AMPED?

At first look at the models above I gravitate to the AT542 because I see 650W for the mid range price but then thought about Bi-Amping the speakers with a 4 channel AT524 at $2700 which would probably have a more manageable 500W total per speaker.

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT524NC $2700 250W x 4 / 500W each speaker

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 4000-4 $3800 250W x 4 / 500W each speaker

Don't know if this matters at all but I'm using a Marantz AV-7702 with the XLR balanced cables.

As you all can probably tell I'm "slightly overwhelmed" in the process and have appreciated all the advice so far.

Thank you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Passive bi amping is by and large not considered beneficial. It doesn't hurt anything (unless you forget to remove the jumpers), but in general you're better off going with a more powerful amp than bi amping. I'm feeling you on the AC542NC. 650 watts leaves no questions about sufficient power, and I believe would offer better performance than the lower power bi amp strategy. Is that a 2 channel amp? I didn't look them all up yet and just going with your post.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BI - AMPED?
Not worth it.
Dennis and Jim both agree strongly on that point. Jim includes the two pairs of terminals largely because it is expected these days and it helps his Speakers retain their value should an owner choose to part with them.
Sonically, passive Bi-Amping is largely inconsequential as each part of the XO still only uses what it needs to up until the point where the drivers can't use any more. So, for example, a stereo Amp with 250w per channel will still only deliver 250 w to ea XO circuit. The value is not additive.
That said, if the Big Woofer really needs that much juice, then it may be a worthwhile consideration... but in that event, I would reach out to Jim, first, and discuss with him.

By the way... Where' the photo! ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If ATI, I would stick with the AT542NC.
However, if you go with any of the other Hypex options using a true SMPS Power Supply, you'll save a lot on size and weight and get the full benefit of the Class D technology.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been bouncing all around different brand pages and reviews and I do like that ATI is a USA company and has a SEVEN year warranty. I would like to at least talk to Buckeye Amps before any major decisions but the warranty from ATI is mighty enticing considering I'm dealing with a broken amp right now.

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT522NC $2000 250W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT542NC $2700 650W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 4000-2 $2700 250W

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 6002 $3600 350W

I'm high on coffee and I'm totally lost in the matrix of terms I don't understand, brands, models, reviews, forums etc etc..... BUT what are people (hopefully ones that know a LOT more than I do) thoughts about going with something BI - AMPED?

At first look at the models above I gravitate to the AT542 because I see 650W for the mid range price but then thought about Bi-Amping the speakers with a 4 channel AT524 at $2700 which would probably have a more manageable 500W total per speaker.

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT524NC $2700 250W x 4 / 500W each speaker

ATI Amplifier Technologies - AT 4000-4 $3800 250W x 4 / 500W each speaker

Don't know if this matters at all but I'm using a Marantz AV-7702 with the XLR balanced cables.

As you all can probably tell I'm "slightly overwhelmed" in the process and have appreciated all the advice so far.

Thank you!
FYI ATI also makes the Monolith and some of the Outlaw amps....as well as some other brands.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Not worth it.
Dennis and Jim both agree strongly on that point. Jim includes the two pairs of terminals largely because it is expected these days and it helps his Speakers retain their value should an owner choose to part with them.
Sonically, passive Bi-Amping is largely inconsequential as each part of the XO still only uses what it needs to up until the point where the drivers can't use any more. So, for example, a stereo Amp with 250w per channel will still only deliver 250 w to ea XO circuit. The value is not additive.
That said, if the Big Woofer really needs that much juice, then it may be a worthwhile consideration... but in that event, I would reach out to Jim, first, and discuss with him.

By the way... Where' the photo! ;)
I tried to take a shot this morning on my phone and it said "file to large"...... and then....... I got sidetracked with this matrix of information overload.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to take a shot this morning on my phone and it said "file to large"...... and then....... I got sidetracked with this matrix of information overload.
You using the site directly on your phone or Tapatalk to access the forum? If you use a pc you can resize the file in the paint program....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You using the site directly on your phone or Tapatalk to access the forum? If you use a pc you can resize the file in the paint program....
Same can be done on a Mac after transferring photo as a jpg, open in Preview, select Tools/Adjust Size... I usually shoot for about 1/3 of the original. :)

Tapatalk is easy and I do most of my photos through that app.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Alrighty......... I think I'm done. I called all over town about trying to get my Emotiva fixed and that seems like it's going nowhere.

Jim Salk had great things to say about ATI and I feel like the AT542 is the best option in my price range. I was considering VTV amps but the 7 year warranty and high praise on the ATI amps has me placing those at the top of this list right now.

Soooooooo......... any reason not to get the ATI AT542?

I appreciate all the help over the last few days! Thank you to all that contributed!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jim Salk had great things to say about ATI and I feel like the AT542 is the best option in my price range. I was considering VTV amps but the 7 year warranty and high praise on the ATI amps has me placing those at the top of this list right now.

Soooooooo......... any reason not to get the ATI AT542?
That seems like an excellent choice. Please let us know how it works with your Salk HT3s once you get it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And don't forget to share that photo of you Speakers!!! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis