Votes: 6 66.7%
  • VTV amp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI amp

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I searched but haven't found the info I'm looking for.

I haven't done much research since I ordered my Salk HT3's and 2 x 15" Rythmik subwoofers since 2012 and even then I was a total novice.

I was recommended Emotiva for the "value" and got their XPA-2 amp. I've noticed that the subwoofers can easily overpower the speakers with that setup and would often overheat the amp. Recently I moved my setup to do some dusting and one of the channels on the amp went out. While I'm waiting to get a repair estimate from Emotiva, I noticed the have a trade in program which leads me to my questions:

1. Does anyone know if XPA-DR2 amp would be a decent upgrade or could these speakers handle 2 x XPA-DR1's? I don't want to consider the XPA-DR1's if the speakers can't handle it would be a waste of money.

2. Are there other amp brands that have come along since 2012 that are a good "value" for this set up?

Thanks for any advice!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Salk recommends 200 watts for those speakers. Outlaw 2220's would seem to be a great fit. And with 200 watts those speakers can put out 103db at 10 ft away. Just how loud are you listening?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg. You don't need nearly that much power for those! They're rated for 200 watts, lol.

That said yes, I'd look elsewhere than emotiva. They've lost a little support around here for refusing to service products outside warranty, even if the purchaser wants to pay for it. So if you buy from them and your product has an issue outside warranty good luck getting emotiva to fix it...

For monoblocks the Outlaw 2220s are more than enough for your speakers. They're very good amps, have all the power your speakers are rated for and are a great value.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I've had great success using Crown XLS amps, won the value contest IMO vs Emotiva when I considered both. The Monolith amps might be a consideration, maybe one of the newer amps based on Purifi or Hypex modules. The Outlaw 2220 would be good, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would also vote for the Outlaw Monoblocks, or if you have it in the budget look at the Nord or Apollon or similar Hypex or Purifi Cass D amps. (Some are available in single chassis, dual monoblock configuration! )

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Well thank you all for the very quick responses. My Emotiva is way past warranty so that's unfortunate as far as a cheaper option for a repair.

Even though Salk's website says 200 watts even he said I could "basically throw anything I wanted at those speakers" and they could handle it. I guess they are very power hungry.

The older Emotiva XPA-2 I have no that's broken was over heating is rated at:
Power output:
300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven

and the speakers didn't ever seem anywhere close to their limits with that amount of power.

Budget.... I wasn't too afraid of the 2 x XPA-DR1's at $2400 so I guess nothing too far beyond that. I don't need the absolute finest audio quality. I want "good" to "better" not "the best"...

I'll look at those other recommended brands tonight after dinner.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well thank you all for the very quick responses. My Emotiva is way past warranty so that's unfortunate as far as a cheaper option for a repair.

Even though Salk's website says 200 watts even he said I could "basically throw anything I wanted at those speakers" and they could handle it. I guess they are very power hungry.

The older Emotiva XPA-2 I have no that's broken was over heating is rated at:
Power output:
300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven

and the speakers didn't ever seem anywhere close to their limits with that amount of power.

Budget.... I wasn't too afraid of the 2 x XPA-DR1's at $2400 so I guess nothing too far beyond that. I don't need the absolute finest audio quality. I want "good" to "better" not "the best"...

I'll look at those other recommended brands tonight after dinner.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!
Those speakers are 8 ohms with 84 dB sensitivity. That is a tad on the low side for sensitivity but 200 watts will still get you to 100 dB from 10' away. That's very loud... but I s'pose I could see an argument for more power IF you regularly listen at high levels 85-90 dB with +10-20 dB peaks. That is very loud, but not quite reference. How far do you sit from your speakers and what are your listening habits? If you like it that loud then maybe we should be looking at some beefier amps. Here's a cool little calculator I used to rough up what you'd be getting from a 200 watt amp.

I love playing with that thing, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@83benz240
I would love to see your HT3s! If you have a photo to share, or the Salk Teaser Shoot he likes to send after assembly is complete... ;)
Those were on my fantasy list as speakers I wanted! :D
These are my Phil3s that Jim built:
Phil3-midnightbluemaple.small.jpg

I get where you are coming from in terms of liking headroom in your Amps! I'm running 5 of the Outlaw 2200s for my Front 3 + Surrounds, and am likely rarely using more than about 32 watts per channel... well within what my Marantz should be capable of delivering.
But when there is need for more... well... there is just no replacement for having that potential at your fingertips!
:D

Buckeye Amps is a US builder of Hypex Amps. I have not dealt with him, but have heard great things from those that have. Rather than ordering a build from UK or EU, I would recommend reaching out to Buckeye and having a conversation with him.
I will say that the modules he is using are newer; different from those I am familiar with. But Stability down to 2 Ohms, and the ability to turn out 500w per channel while being significantly more efficient than any A/B or other more "traditional" amp is huge. The Hypex (and Purifi) based Amps all are known to run very clean with superior numbers in terms of distortion.
I am very slowly working on getting a 5-channel-monoblock NC400 Amp built. :cool: I'm not the president, but I'm a member of the club! :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Another amp to add to the choices above, the Vision SET 400 amp made by Audio by Van Alstine.

It costs $2,000 and is rated at 225 wpc into 8 ohms, much more into 4 ohms, and operates safely into 2 ohms.

It’s said to be comfortably paired with any speaker, including electrostatic speakers demanding a LOT of power. I've heard this amp driving a pair of Salk HT3s. In my opinion, this claim is no exaggeration.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate the advice so far and I'm working through the names and models give above. I don't think the Outlaw or Monliths will work though. The Emotiva XPA-2 I had been using was rated for 300W and would overheat within about 2-3 songs if I ever pushed it. I think I'll be needing something at least in the 400W range and higher just to have some room to keep it from maxing out. Thanks again everyone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't expect the Emotiva's performance to necessarily reflect the ability of others as far as thermal management. The class d type amps have a different efficiency to consider as well (and the type of thermal management the amp uses whether heat sink or active cooling). What do you listen to so loudly? :) Several here are using the Outlaw and Monoliths and haven't reported thermal issues....and some listen quite loudly. I certainly have no problems with my Crowns but they're not only class d but also actively cooled (altho I never hear the fans), but my speakers are more sensitive than yours, too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think the Outlaw or Monliths will work though. The Emotiva XPA-2 I had been using was rated for 300W and would overheat within about 2-3 songs if I ever pushed it.
If the amp was over-heating like you described, there was either something very wrong with the amp or very wrong with the speakers. That is not normal at all and shouldn't lead you to think you need gobs of extra wattage to safely drive the speakers.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
If the amp was over-heating like you described, there was either something very wrong with the amp or very wrong with the speakers. That is not normal at all and shouldn't lead you to think you need gobs of extra wattage to safely drive the speakers.
How would I go about seeing where the issue may be?

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Does anyone here have any experience with VTV https://vtvamplifier.com It looks like they have a wide variety of products and options (which I have NO idea what they are) and they are Made in USA which is a HUGE plus for me.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Did the issue already result in the failed amp?
Early on after getting everything set up I learned to only push the volume up to a certain level on the amp would fault and shut down. When I was doing my research (almost 10 years ago now) it was a selling point that these Emotiva amps would shut down and not harm any components.

I'm not sure if that answered you question but the amp would overheat and shut itself down. I would wait a few minutes and turn it back on and at a lower volume.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How would I go about seeing where the issue may be?
You might try hooking another speaker up to the amp to see if the behavior occurs on other speakers. Use something with a known impedance load. If the amp gets hot again, I think it's fair to assume that the problem lies there. If you have another amp, try the Salk speaker on that amp and see what happens. If that other amp runs into problems, it's probably the speaker. It would easy to see if you had a way to measure the speaker's impedance, but that isn't something the average person can do easily.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Early on after getting everything set up I learned to only push the volume up to a certain level on the amp would fault and shut down. When I was doing my research (almost 10 years ago now) it was a selling point that these Emotiva amps would shut down and not harm any components.

I'm not sure if that answered you question but the amp would overheat and shut itself down. I would wait a few minutes and turn it back on and at a lower volume.
Definitely helps. I've just not sent a power amp scurrying like that before. Just how high an spl are we talking about here? (and any significant eq?)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ATI AT542NC 500W x 2Ch 8 ohm/ 900W x 2ch 4 ohms
Legacy Audio PowerBloc2 325W x 2Ch / 650W x 2Ch 4 ohms

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis