D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Most legitimate loudspeaker companies don't rate sensitivity that way but even still 84-87 dB is a very inefficient speaker so I don't expect these would be appropriate in anything but a small room. This is what I found when Jim sent me the 1801TL floorstanders that bottomed out at 75dB only 10ft away. As for the sub, I hope its not the sub he originally sent Paul? Did Jim redesign the sub since then?

The scale is 100dB and the graph is smoothed and it only shows an on-axis response.

Read: Audio Measurements: The Useful vs the Bogus
I don't want to get into a prolonged debate on this speaker (which was really designed as a surround), but since you're asking questions and were very quick to shoot from the hip on the frequency response curve, I'll respond.
As you noticed when called on it, the dB demarcations are 5 dB. We would never, ever, publish a curve with bogus 10 dB gradations unless it was a THD curve that requires 10 dB. Second, the curve is actually not smoothed, though I can see why you might think so. I'm responsible for most of the response curves published on the site. Jim actually shot this particular plot (using the same system I use--Praxis) in a somewhat problematic room without invoking any smoothing. It's a little lacking in resolution. There should be a few more small spikes and dips, although nothing the ear would ever hear. So I think it's a useful, if not literally perfect, curve.

I would agree that this particular speaker is not the best choice for showcasing apocalyptic films at full cry in a normal home theater installation. But in Warp's bedroom with Warp's size-matters sub, I think they will do very nicely. I'll wait his word on that. And, since you asked about Jim's sub, my very fuzzy recollection is that there was an issue with the amp initially, but that has been long cleared up. It still might hot have the power handling you seem to require, but you seem to require quite a bit. In any event, as Warp will affirm, I don't get off on subs, and am probably not the best one to speak to your question.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I just wanted to examine the drivers a bit:

The RAAL 70-20XR with amorphous core used in Warp's speaker, despite being a ribbon, is a beast of tweeter driver. It's about 2.8 inches tall, but only about .8 inches wide. Unlike most ribbon tweeters, it's probably near the seas millenium/ss9500/aircirc 6600 type of impressive power handling tier, although by virtual of being a very sensitive driver, it probably is more dynamic as much of the acoustic power to the speaker will be absorbed by resistors, not the driver itself.

In these soundscape speakers, I believe it is crossed something like 2nd order LR acoustically, around 2 to 3khz, to an ~4" accuton midrange. The result of the crossover slope, plus acoustically small drivers being crossed lower in frequency, should result in outstanding off axis response, which only makes sense considering this is Salk's flagship combination.

Topping off the picture, is an insensitive, but mass loaded 12" acoustic elegance driver that can take gobs of power with ridiculously low measured distortion due to its behaviour as virtually an air core, along with around 20mm of pretty linear excursion. You probably want to feed them a proper 500 watts in larger rooms, but I don't doubt they can take much of it, on 95% of content. Or at least, that's for the Soundscape.

For this soundscape monitor, a ~7 inch driver is used, but that itself is a beast. About 13+mm of pretty linear excursion, crossing around 400hz to the accuton which should optimize power handling of the robust but small midrange driver as well. I suspect there isn't a 6.5 inch midbass driver with better dynamic range and comparable extension, than this driver. It's still a smaller driver, but it's also a smaller speaker. If anyone pushes the dynamic limits of his speakers, it's warpdrv so he can tell us what he hears :eek: I don't think it's a full range speaker, even though it probably extends into the 40hz range. It's meant to be used with a sub, and the LMS5400 effectively makes this a pseudo 4-way system. It's the same midbass driver crazy car audio people are stickin in their doors in absurd active 4-ways. designed to do ridiculous SPLs, despite its low sensitivity. The thing about thermal power handling, is that it's probably a bit different from dynamic power handling... easier to cool off from the snap of a drum, compared to 3 hours of an electric guitar.

All that said, I'd love some burst power compression and 70 degree polars of the SS12s, Jim, if you're reading :D

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I just wanted to examine the drivers a bit:

In these soundscape speakers, I believe it is crossed something like 2nd order LR acoustically, around 2 to 3khz, to an ~4" accuton midrange. The result of the crossover slope, plus acoustically small drivers being crossed lower in frequency, should result in outstanding off axis response, which only makes sense considering this is Salk's flagship combination.
:D
I can't speak to the ultimate power handling of the SS7--I never tried to push them very hard since originally they were surrounds. You may be right in saying they could play quite loudly (although there's only one woofer, and it would take a lot of power), but Warp will tell us. I did want to correct a couple of technical points you made:

On the SS12 and SS10, the crossover from the tweet to the mid is 4th order acoustic, and it's at 1800 Hz or a smidge higher. The steeper slope is needed to protect the ribbon at the low end, and the low crossover point is to take advantage of the RAAL's sonic quality over as wide a range as possible.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well up until today - I was unable to tell you how they sounded - UPS dropped the ball big time and I received only 1 speaker and the grills last thursday, the other speaker was sent back to its origins for some stupid reason or another. It arrived today.... Only was able to open one side of the box so far at work and it looks to be in good condition.

I will be putting them in place this evening to indeed see how they sound and get some sit down time in 2 channel.

I might have to leave work early today - I don't feel well.... :eek::D LOL
Thank goodness I own the place...

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
http://www.salksound.com/soundscape m7 monitor - home.htm

SoundScape M7 Monitor
Design True 3-way design
Drivers
(1) RAAL ribbon tweeter;
(1) Accuton midrange; and,
(1) custom 7" long-throw woofer

Response 42Hz - 60KHz (+/- 3db)
Sensitivity (dB/2.83v/1M) 84-85db
Impedance 8 ohms nominal
Recommended Amplification 100+ tube watts / 200 - 500 solid state watts
Box Alignment Sealed midrange/tweeter,
ported woofer section (front or rear)
Weight 56 pounds each
Dimensions
(HWD) 25.25" H x 9" W x 14" D

Originally designed as a surround speaker to mate with the Full Range SoundScape 10 & 12 speaker series...
They could also be used in conjunction with a good Sub or 2 for mains...

Was Lucky enough to snag these used at a great price... excited to hear them...

I'm looking forward to giving my impressions and hopefully have others from the SE WI audio group chime in on them as well...
I have to say that pictures seriously don't convey the beauty of the finish of these speakers.... More to come...
Well, if someone gave me a curve which is cut off at 200 Hz, I would think the data was either truncated in the time domain, or gated, but the person taking the data is aware that the time slice is too short to be usable below 200 hz, or the time slice of data used to generate the curve is likely only 5 milliseconds long. That would indicate the measurement environment is live. Seeing as how Jim Salk believes and prefers in heavy drivers over lighter more efficient ones, I would think the first 5 milliseconds of data would not be sufficient, and the amount of moving mass would take longer to settle, so if this is truncated data (It sure looks like it) then it is missing important data which may give us clues as to performance which are not revealed in this curve. As to the need for a 50 db or more dynamic range to show us the speakers response, since the entire response (at least the first 5 milliseconds of it anyway) is confined to a +/- 2.5db window, the only purpose it can possibly serve is to make the curve look better. Why also, I am asking myself, does this curve appear to have a symetry about the center, with a wave flowing outward to the upper and lower extremes of frequency ending in more choppy-ness? It is almost like an artifact of manipulation with a digital device instead of a real loudspeaker response. Anechoic chambers are very expensive, measuring outdoors is a real pain, and frankly I ain't climbing the 90 ft pole to see across the great Canadian landscape. Despite that, I would put little faith in this data for the aforementioned reasons.

Now, as for efficiency, YES it is more difficult to keep the drivers accurate and High fidelity than by simply using bigger thicker and heavier parts, but a loudspeaker is already an inherently inefficient device. We have only copper and aluminum to use for the VC wire, and 500 watts will get it hot, making the DCR go up, which changes the frequency response and most of the Thiele Small parameters too. If one has to use 100 watts just to get to 105db, then you are going to be able to get modest levels only. Thermal compression is a real problem for a heavy driver when you attempt to play it loud. I would rather see it happen at 125db than at 105 db. 94-95 db is not at all hard to get in a driver and still keep adequate Xmax and linearity. If one is using a powered sub, there is NO good reason to hog on the mass and end up killing all the sensitivity JUST so the F3 point looks low. You don't get any MORE SPL out, you just throw away efficiency at the top of the subs range. That is a poor compromise in my opinion. Having designed hundreds of drivers of all kinds, I am entitled to voice my opinion too. All that said, I think Jim Salk is one of the nicest and most normal guys you will find working in this business. Too bad all the rest of us don't all have Jim's class. Peace.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Well, if someone gave me a curve which is cut off at 200 Hz, I would think the data was either truncated in the time domain, or gated, but the person taking the data is aware that the time slice is too short to be usable below 200 hz, or the time slice of data used to generate the curve is likely only 5 milliseconds long. That would indicate the measurement environment is live. Seeing as how Jim Salk believes and prefers in heavy drivers over lighter more efficient ones, I would think the first 5 milliseconds of data would not be sufficient, and the amount of moving mass would take longer to settle, so if this is truncated data (It sure looks like it) then it is missing important data which may give us clues as to performance which are not revealed in this curve. As to the need for a 50 db or more dynamic range to show us the speakers response, since the entire response (at least the first 5 milliseconds of it anyway) is confined to a +/- 2.5db window, the only purpose it can possibly serve is to make the curve look better. Why also, I am asking myself, does this curve appear to have a symetry about the center, with a wave flowing outward to the upper and lower extremes of frequency ending in more choppy-ness? It is almost like an artifact of manipulation with a digital device instead of a real loudspeaker response. Anechoic chambers are very expensive, measuring outdoors is a real pain, and frankly I ain't climbing the 90 ft pole to see across the great Canadian landscape. Despite that, I would put little faith in this data for the aforementioned reasons.
I think you missed your calling--you should write consipracy novels. There is nothing sinister going on here. At the risk of boring the crap out of even more people, here are the facts. Praxis, like virtually every other program designers like me use, provides quasi-anechoic response above about 250 Hz. The impulse response time window is too short to capture accurate anechoic measurements below that point. The amount of resolution you are able to achieve above 250 Hz depends on the room, how skilled you are with the measurement techniques, and sometimes whether the little man inside Praxis is in a good mood.

Below 250 Hz, Praxis shifts over to a room response measurement, which provides useful information down to perhaps 50 Hz. Such measurements will always show a deep floor bounce cancellation in the 100-200 Hz region (unless the woofer is mounted on the floor), and a customary room mode peak in the 60-80 Hz region. When showing the Praxis measurement for a speaker, I'm always torn between maxiumum information, and causing undue alarm and confusion. Unless you know what you're looking at and understand its significance (or lack thereof), people may think something is horribly wrong with the speaker. In the particular plot at issue, Jim simply went into the format window of Praxis and set the lower display point at 200 Hz. There was no truncation during the measurement--it's purely a matter of how much of the curve you show. He could have pasted on a nearfield response of the woofer and port and shown a nice straight line that never exists in the real world. Or he could have shown the whole Praxis plot and spent as much time as I am now explaining it. In the interest of total transparency, I have appended a Praxis plot I took of the speaker in question when I had finished the original crossover, which was voiced for surround purposes. It's not quite the same voicing--I later lowered the midrange and treble a little to bring out the bass, because the buyer was going to use them as mains and was concerned about robust bass. You can see the room and floor cancellation effects, which are typical of any speaker like this in a normal room, except that the room peak at 70 Hz would normally be a little higher in a non-surround voicing.

I simply didn't understand your comment about the 50 dB dynamic range and the implication that this was done to pretty up the plot. This is the default setting for Praxis. It's how it operates. What exactly did you want me or Jim to change?

Attachments

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
I think you missed your calling--you should write consipracy novels. There is nothing sinister going on here. At the risk of boring the crap out of even more people, here are the facts. Praxis, like virtually every other program designers like me use, provides quasi-anechoic response above about 250 Hz. The impulse response time window is too short to capture accurate anechoic measurements below that point. The amount of resolution you are able to achieve above 250 Hz depends on the room, how skilled you are with the measurement techniques, and sometimes whether the little man inside Praxis is in a good mood.

Below 250 Hz, Praxis shifts over to a room response measurement, which provides useful information down to perhaps 50 Hz. Such measurements will always show a deep floor bounce cancellation in the 100-200 Hz region (unless the woofer is mounted on the floor), and a customary room mode peak in the 60-80 Hz region. When showing the Praxis measurement for a speaker, I'm always torn between maxiumum information, and causing undue alarm and confusion. Unless you know what you're looking at and understand its significance (or lack thereof), people may think something is horribly wrong with the speaker. In the particular plot at issue, Jim simply went into the format window of Praxis and set the lower display point at 200 Hz. There was no truncation during the measurement--it's purely a matter of how much of the curve you show. He could have pasted on a nearfield response of the woofer and port and shown a nice straight line that never exists in the real world. Or he could have shown the whole Praxis plot and spent as much time as I am now explaining it. In the interest of total transparency, I have appended a Praxis plot I took of the speaker in question when I had finished the original crossover, which was voiced for surround purposes. It's not quite the same voicing--I later lowered the midrange and treble a little to bring out the bass, because the buyer was going to use them as mains and was concerned about robust bass. You can see the room and floor cancellation effects, which are typical of any speaker like this in a normal room, except that the room peak at 70 Hz would normally be a little higher in a non-surround voicing.

I simply didn't understand your comment about the 50 dB dynamic range and the implication that this was done to pretty up the plot. This is the default setting for Praxis. It's how it operates. What exactly did you want me or Jim to change?
Dennis. I don't want you or Jim to change anything. Keep doing what you do. As for 50 db being the default, that is fine for full range drivers run well into their stop-band, or a real room measurement with reflections I want to see. It (50db) is just not showing us the curve to the point where we can see what is really going on. If I had made that curve in my lab, I would first change the dynamic range so I could see it. If you've data down to the stated F3, why not show it to begin with? That's not conspiracy theory. It's a question common sense raises, and one to which no one here has heard an answer. As for my points regarding efficiency, those are also common sense, and not conspiracy. I like Jim. I don't want to cause him harm. I do want him and you to hold the bar higher if you or he are posting data which does not look real. I have taken likely tens of thousands of curves in all kinds of environs, and this one does not look right. This may be a result of some routine carried out in Praxis, I don't know, and I don't use it. Don't want to. I do know, these wiggles do not look like speaker effects, they look like something else. If you know tell us. If you don't Que Sera Sera.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I am certainly no expert but what you say Dennis, exactly mirrors what Tom Nousaine told me about response measurements below 200 Hz. Then the "splicing" begins which has its own problems. I think I will write Don Keele. Paul, you know Tom correct? I think I will write him to see if any real information can be gathered below 200 Hz using the measurements as Dennis has. Pretty sure that Atkinson "splices" correct? So the measurements with a short time gate to eliminate room effects are great for showing bass response (without the effects of the room as well?). I am confused. TLS what say you?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Dennis;

Do you have LMS, Sample Champion or TrueRTA at your disposal? If so, perhaps you can retake your measurements. I too have never seen a loudspeaker measurement look like this unless lots of smoothing was applied. I experimented with the Audio Precision MLS system and it produced results like this which weren't very accurate hence why I continue using LMS regardless of how antiquated that measurement system is to operate.

I am certainly no expert but what you say Dennis, exactly mirrors what Tom Nousaine told me about response measurements below 200 Hz. Then the "splicing" begins which has its own problems
Splicing definately has issues which is why I do real fullbandwidth measurements and splicing to compare the differences and attempt to remove the room from the equation. Bass should be measured outdoors via GP. Tom does all his bass measurements in-door at his listening position (at least he did when I had him writing a review for me). The results weren't very accurate as a result (which I confirmed when I visited the manufacturer and tested the sub myself) and we had to scrub the project. Too bad b/c I really would love Tom to write reviews for us, but I want all our subs tested outdoor via GP for consistency.

Last edited:
Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
I am certainly no expert but what you say Dennis, exactly mirrors what Tom Nousaine told me about response measurements below 200 Hz. Then the "splicing" begins which has its own problems. I think I will write Don Keele. Paul, you know Tom correct? I think I will write him to see if any real information can be gathered below 200 Hz using the measurements as Dennis has. Pretty sure that Atkinson "splices" correct? So the measurements with a short time gate to eliminate room effects are great for showing bass response (without the effects of the room as well? I am confused. TLS what say you?
Yes I know Tom! He is a good guy. Please tell him Paul Apollonio says Hello! Thanks.

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
"Praxis, like virtually every other program designers like me use, provides quasi-anechoic response above about 250 Hz. The impulse response time window is too short to capture accurate anechoic measurements below that point." - Dennis Murphy...

Dennis. How do you think Praxis gets "quasi-anechoic" measurements? What method? If it cuts off at 4 milliseconds, then it is band limited to 250 Hz (AT BEST) and higher. Right? This was my point, yet it seems it is now the subject for debate. WHY? Either it truncates the data in the time domain before performing the FFT, or it gates the data using a small window whose length will end prior to reflections getting to the mike. You are the Praxis expert, so please kind sir. How does it work if not the way I have suggested? There is no ill will here. Lets keep to the facts please. Thanks.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Dennis;

Do you have LMS, Sample Champion or TrueRTA at your disposal? If so, perhaps you can retake your measurements. I too have never seen a loudspeaker measurement look like this unless lots of smoothing was applied. I experimented with the Audio Precision MLS system and it produced results like this which weren't very accurate hence why I continue using LMS regardless of how antiquated that measurement system is to operate.

Splicing definately has issues which is why I do real fullbandwidth measurements and splicing to compare the differences and attempt to remove the room from the equation. Bass should be measured outdoors via GP. Tom does all his bass measurements in-door at his listening position (at least he did when I had him writing a review for me). The results weren't very accurate as a result (which I confirmed when I visited the manufacturer and tested the sub myself) and we had to scrub the project. Too bad b/c I really would love Tom to write reviews for us, but I want all our subs tested outdoor via GP for consistency.
Yea, Tom has been using the same method for subs for a long time and he is older than I am:) I would agree that outdoors for bass is the best method.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Now, as for efficiency, YES it is more difficult to keep the drivers accurate and High fidelity than by simply using bigger thicker and heavier parts, but a loudspeaker is already an inherently inefficient device. We have only copper and aluminum to use for the VC wire, and 500 watts will get it hot
Since you're a pretty experienced individua in the industryl, I just wanted you to clarify:

500 watt dynamic peaks, in a home environment, listening to dynamic content IE uncompressed music, or did you mean 500 watts in large environments, with continuous program material and even louder peaks?

I completely see where you're coming from, but I just want to know how much of an issue is, in a home environment, where the average power level even at higher SPLs won't be 500w. For example, if our average listening level is around 80db, for these speakers, with some 105db bursts, how much heating can we expect? For reference, the driver we're discussing, is going to be the little 6.5" unit intended as a surround, and is high passed around 50hz such that it'll never exceed its 12.5mm xmax with a 500w input. Le = .84mH

Cheers.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis. I don't want you or Jim to change anything. Keep doing what you do. As for 50 db being the default, that is fine for full range drivers run well into their stop-band, or a real room measurement with reflections I want to see. It (50db) is just not showing us the curve to the point where we can see what is really going on. If I had made that curve in my lab, I would first change the dynamic range so I could see it. If you've data down to the stated F3, why not show it to begin with? That's not conspiracy theory. It's a question common sense raises, and one to which no one here has heard an answer. As for my points regarding efficiency, those are also common sense, and not conspiracy. I like Jim. I don't want to cause him harm. I do want him and you to hold the bar higher if you or he are posting data which does not look real. I have taken likely tens of thousands of curves in all kinds of environs, and this one does not look right. This may be a result of some routine carried out in Praxis, I don't know, and I don't use it. Don't want to. I do know, these wiggles do not look like speaker effects, they look like something else. If you know tell us. If you don't Que Sera Sera.
Gene--I don't know what program you use. But I can assure you that the measurements I take are typical of programs like Praxis, minute little wiggles and all. If you want to see a bajillion graphs that show this effect, go to the measurements taken in the genuine Canadian anechoic chamber. http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_monitor5/

In any event, hey have absolutely no bearing on crossover design. Some designers deliberately smooth plots before they begin so that they aren't distracted by little artifacts and response variations they can do nothing about. And I still don't know why you want be to take a microscope to the measurements to "see what's going on." How can it be of practical significance ifit doesn't show up on a 5 dB grid? I've never seen a published speaker plot with gradations smaller than 5 dB. (The Canadian plots are 10 dB, although I'm not advocating that.) I just don't know what I would do with this information. I can see where a designer of drivers might want that kind of data, I'm still perplexed concerning its relevance to what I do or to what a potential buyer would want to know. But please educate me. I have no desire to overlook avenues to better loudspeakers. Maybe this is all about the region below 200 Hz? It's hard to tell from your reply.

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
Since you're a pretty experienced individua in the industryl, I just wanted you to clarify:

500 watt dynamic peaks, in a home environment, listening to dynamic content IE uncompressed music, or did you mean 500 watts in large environments, with continuous program material and even louder peaks?

I completely see where you're coming from, but I just want to know how much of an issue is, in a home environment, where the average power level even at higher SPLs won't be 500w. For example, if our average listening level is around 80db, for these speakers, with some 105db bursts, how much heating can we expect? For reference, the driver we're discussing, is going to be the little 6.5" unit intended as a surround, and is high passed around 50hz such that it'll never exceed its 12.5mm xmax with a 500w input. Le = .84mH

Cheers.
This is a good question that likely would require a chapter in a good text book to answer completely. First of all it is a surround, so it should be about 12db less than your mains, and sensitivity is likely a non issue. Now, in general talking about mains, which is what the picture of the Salks posted surely looks like.

Music definitely has peaks, and averages, but they move about so quickly without a quantifiable definition we are waving at flies with our hands. Let us assume a peak with a duration of 0.1 second. That is a reasonable amount of time to call a peak a peak. We could integrate it longer or less, but I would argue integrating less than 33 milliseconds is likely useless, as that seems to be the approximate integration time of our ear brain mechanism. So, regardless of the duration of the peak, the VC will eventually get hot. What you find in a speaker is two time constants, one for the VC, and another for the motor surrounding it. You could count the box as a third, but this is a tertiary effect. The VC time constant of a small woofer like this is probably on the order of 3 seconds. Now, if you look at music which is typically played or recorded today, you will find the actual dynamic range QUITE limited. This means the difference between peaks and Rms is now very small. That makes a difference. Todays recordings have a dynamic range which is very limited relative to for example, a recording of a symphony orchestra. So, you pick a product which gives you 85 db SPL for 1 watt. Now, how far away from it are you? How loud do you listen? If your average is 75 db, and you have a live room, and sit 2 meters from your speakers, the answer is quite different than if you sit 4 meters away in a room with lots of drapes, a high ceiling, shag carpeting and two big couches. So, if it is loud enough, then there is NO issue. If not, then you have to look at why the designer chose to make his or her product in this fashion. Efficiency is your friend, not always a compromise to play louder because we don't care about accuracy. We certainly have to weigh the moving mass into the consideration of what we want the product to do. But to say that a speaker of a given size needs to go down to 50 or 60 hz, and then you find without sufficient Vd (Volume displacement = Sd (area) times Xmax (excursion)) it means you have decided what you will limit the output abilities of the device.

The real question people want to know is was this a good compromise. I say probably not based on my experience in driver design. If one has access to a sub, put the six in a small box, or if you are crossing the thing over to a mid at several hundred Hz, then you are using the wrong size driver. It is simply too small for the job you gave it.

The problem is that this is not a pure engineering discussion, as Marketing will want to talk about product size, and sex appeal. If you have a three way box, and you STILL need a sub, it begs the question why are you using this small of a driver to begin with? From a purely engineering problem standpoint, it makes little sense to me as a solution. Why not use a 8 or 10 inch driver instead? (You could side mount it if baffle size is an issue).

As for heating and compression, this is not difficult to measure. ANYONE who can come up with $15 and find their way to Radio shack can buy a meter that will measure DCR. Measure the speaker at the terminal with the amp disconnected, and the woofers cold. Play your speakers for an hour, as loud as you want to, then quickly disconnect the amp, and measure the speaker again. As long as there is no loud noise after you turn off the speaker, or as long as you don't have a fan or wind blowing at the cone, you should be able to get a somewhat stable DCR reading. That will tell you just how far off center the heat has pushed the device. I can measure it other ways, but I've thousands of dollars worth of gear to do that. You can calculate the heat in the VC based on the difference between the starting and stopping DCR (assuming any series choke presents a negligible amount of DCR in addition to your VC). All speakers heat up. My point was if I want 105 db EITHER peak or Rms in the room (RMS would be DAMN loud too) then having 8-10 db more sensitivity to begin with is a big advantage. I cannot agree that all light cones sound bad, and all heavy ones sound good. I can confirm what a lot of designers attribute to damping is often more a function of cone geometry than materials used. (Not always, but frequently). I can tell you if you double your moving mass and change nothing else, you have quartered your efficiency. (That is a fact that cannot be in dispute). At some point, making the cone heavier becomes a BAD thing because even IF the power is available, we have to remember VC's work better at a watt than at 500 watts (2/3rd of a horsepower). Dropping too much mass causes problems. Adding too much mass causes other problems. This is not a situation where if some is good more is better. There needs to be a proper balance struck. I think Jim listens at modest SPL's and makes a product he wants to live with. A high efficiency speaker can make low SPLs. A lower efficiency speaker often cannot make the higher ones. Striking a balance is what engineering is about.

To your question. Is it loud enough for you? If yes, then nothing I say matters. If no, then consider a more efficient loudspeaker rather than simply trying to force more current through the VC. Heat is natures way of saying NO MORE CURRENT PLEASE! Typically we can heat up pro Voice coils to over 300 degrees F. At that point we have doubled the DCR, and have lost 3db of available amp power. The bigger the VC, the longer the time lag will be. There is no one right answer to this. It depends on everything!

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
Gene--I don't know what program you use. But I can assure you that the measurements I take are typical of programs like Praxis, minute little wiggles and all. If you want to see a bajillion graphs that show this effect, go to the measurements taken in the genuine Canadian anechoic chamber. http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_monitor5/

In any event, hey have absolutely no bearing on crossover design. Some designers deliberately smooth plots before they begin so that they aren't distracted by little artifacts and response variations they can do nothing about. And I still don't know why you want be to take a microscope to the measurements to "see what's going on." How can it be of practical significance ifit doesn't show up on a 5 dB grid? I've never seen a published speaker plot with gradations smaller than 5 dB. (The Canadian plots are 10 dB, although I'm not advocating that.) I just don't know what I would do with this information. I can see where a designer of drivers might want that kind of data, I'm still perplexed concerning its relevance to what I do or to what a potential buyer would want to know. But please educate me. I have no desire to overlook avenues to better loudspeakers. Maybe this is all about the region below 200 Hz? It's hard to tell from your reply.
The location of the wiggles when viewed alongside the impedance magnitude can tell you a lot or nothing. If you have a ruler and can measure the cabinet, those wiggles can tell you something or nothing. If you have a 1/8th inch mike, and can move it around the surface of the driver, in and around the port, or box corners, that too can tell you something.

It all depends on what you know to begin with. As for the customers, since something like 40% of the overall long term power they are putting into the speaker is below 200 Hz, they would likely prefer to see it than not. Having seen the full range original curve, (Thank you) it is clear why it was not chosen to be displayed. I am not talking conspiracy here Dennis. It just looks bad AND it is NOT the speaker, it is the room. I was not in the room when the measurements were taken, and have no information outside of what you have posted for our inspection.

I can say I think the "quasi anechoic" data leaves some artifacts that can likely be minimized by smoothing to give a better representation of what the speaker actually sounds like. I'm not familiar with Praxis, so that is a wild guess from me. I am familiar with speaker measurements, so I think most of those small wiggles at the top and bottom of the curve are NOT the speaker, they are something else. Hope that is of some use to you.

Sorry if my prior posts were less than clear. I'm trying to do my best. Peace. Say hello to Jim for me. Thanks.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The location of the wiggles when viewed alongside the impedance magnitude can tell you a lot or nothing. If you have a ruler and can measure the cabinet, those wiggles can tell you something or nothing. If you have a 1/8th inch mike, and can move it around the surface of the driver, in and around the port, or box corners, that too can tell you something.

It all depends on what you know to begin with. As for the customers, since something like 40% of the overall long term power they are putting into the speaker is below 200 Hz, they would likely prefer to see it than not. Having seen the full range original curve, (Thank you) it is clear why it was not chosen to be displayed. I am not talking conspiracy here Dennis. It just looks bad AND it is NOT the speaker, it is the room. I was not in the room when the measurements were taken, and have no information outside of what you have posted for our inspection.

I can say I think the "quasi anechoic" data leaves some artifacts that can likely be minimized by smoothing to give a better representation of what the speaker actually sounds like. I'm not familiar with Praxis, so that is a wild guess from me. I am familiar with speaker measurements, so I think most of those small wiggles at the top and bottom of the curve are NOT the speaker, they are something else. Hope that is of some use to you.

Sorry if my prior posts were less than clear. I'm trying to do my best. Peace. Say hello to Jim for me. Thanks.
Hi This whole thing has probably gotten a little out of hand. My frustration stems from the comments that seemed to be reading something sinister or weird into the natural characteristics of MLS measurements. For those not familiar with the term or technique, here is a brief summary grabbed from some site or other:

"Using MLS techniques, it is possible to perform quasi-anechoic measurements of a loudspeaker without having to place it inside an anechoic chamber (a room free from echoes and reverberations). The impulse response can be easily windowed in the time domain, in order to analyze the signal and reject the reflections from the walls of the room."

So yes, there's windowing going on, though a little bit longer than 5 microseconds. That's how the system works. And a 5 dB demarcaton is perfectly adequate for designers and potential buyers. The issue of how to represent the bass performance below 200 Hz is an area where reasonably reasonable people can disagree. I prefer to see what Praxis tells me in its room mode, because I can better adjust the degree of baffle step compensation to match actual bass prominence in a typical room. But Praxis isn't acccurate enough in that mode to reveal a true F3. A nearfield measurement will give you the inherent F3 of the woofer in the box, but not in the room. And then there's the matter of harmonic distortion--how happy you'll be with the bass performance of a speaker depends on the clarity of its presentation as the quantity. I'm not really advocating anything strongly about bass graphs. That's not my territory. I just don't want people to think there's anything weird or useless about a typical Praxis graph above 200 Hz. OK--it's official--I'm as bored with this as everyone else. Bye.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
OK FIGHT NICE CHILDREN !!!

Well, I was so sick I had to leave work early !!

At any rate, got the missing speaker today, and UPS continued to show me no favors, the Accuton Mid driver grill was smashed in.... :rolleyes::confused: Thank goodness there was no damage to the cabinet !! Looks like a claim will be being put in on this $300+ driver... pulled the driver, doesn't look like a simple grill replacement is even possible here... I was extremely impressed when pulling said driver that the cabinet was seriously THICK !!! easy over an inch thick - these speakers are very heavy.....

Anywho - they play just fine and sound phenomenal... I'm going through all my well known stuff - liking what I'm hearing, very neutral, mids are awesome, tweets are super smooth.... Tweets are so much more laid back - its like a breath of fresh air....

Heres a nice pic of them in room....

Damage :(

Non Damage :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis