Salk Sound System 5.0

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Speaking of Salk, if only I could afford these....

I'd probably keep these the rest of my life.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I got to hear Baronvonellis's system last night. The Song3's are a very impressive speaker, and the satin finish on Baron's are impeccable.

The details in the treble are amazing. I heard things in music I've been listening to for ages that I didn't know were there. Soundstage was very stable and wide, even when off center of the MLP imaging was fantastic. I did see what people mean when they say it's a revealing speaker, especially on Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. I never realized how much they mastered that track to bring her vocals very far forward. In that one track only, did it come across as being too forward.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I got to hear Baronvonellis's system last night. The Song3's are a very impressive speaker, and the satin finish on Baron's are impeccable.

The details in the treble are amazing. I heard things in music I've been listening to for ages that I didn't know were there. Soundstage was very stable and wide, even when off center of the MLP imaging was fantastic. I did see what people mean when they say it's a revealing speaker, especially on Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. I never realized how much they mastered that track to bring her vocals very far forward. In that one track only, did it come across as being too forward.
Glad you enjoyed it, it was fun doing a listening session!
Yea, I agree the Amy Winehouse song was the only one I found to be a bit forward due to the mastering. Everything else sounded excellent. You will learn what albums were recorded well with the Salks!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those are the two responses I get the most.

The RAALs may not have the dispersion to satisfy everyone, but the detail just takes people off their feet. I had a friend (hobbyist level drummer) over a couple weeks ago and we're playing some jazz and there was a drum solo pc and he could tell which cymbals were playing...he's heard this music many times and said he never heard the playback like that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The RAALs may not have the dispersion to satisfy everyone, but the detail just takes people off their feet. I had a friend (hobbyist level drummer) over a couple weeks ago and we're playing some jazz and there was a drum solo pc and he could tell which cymbals were playing...he's heard this music many times and said he never heard the playback like that.
Every so often I bust out my copy of Joe Lovano's Trio Fascination featuring Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It's impressive to listen to cats like that on speakers that can handle the nuance and detail of what these masters bring to the table! And yes, 2Channel, even I get hung up from time to time with something as simple as hearing the sizzle of a bead chain or rivets on a cymbal, or the soft strike of steel brushes hitting and scraping on a snare. ;)
Well designed speakers bring that out.

I can't think of anything I've seen for $1750 ea that would outperform what you can get at that price point from Jim. Maybe at $2500 ea... But then you should be getting the Song 3 BeATs. :D

@NINaudio I am super glad you enjoyed what you heard. Also a quick round of applause to @baronvonellis for having you in to do that audition!!!
I can only assume that Axpona will be a significantly different beast than the CAS is. For the CAS, I think there were only three pair of speakers under $10K, and with the exception of Martin Logan, no major brands of note... all were boutique brands.
I think going and experiencing Axpona will be an amazing experience, and I hope I can do that next year. I would be surprised if you find something better than the Song 3s for the same cost. :)

I won't share my opinion on whether you should wait or not. ;) Now that you've heard them, only you can make that decision. I will say, after I heard the Phil3s, I wasted no time hitting Dennis up and telling him to get ready! :cool:

Cheers!

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I can't think of anything I've seen for $1750 ea that would outperform what you can get at that price point fron Jim. Maybe at $2500 ea... But then you should be getting the Song 3 BeATs. :D

@NINaudio I am super glad you enjoyed what you heard. Also a quick round of applause to @baronvonellis for having you in to do that audition!!!
I can only assume that Axpona will be a significantly different beast than the CAS is. For the CAS, I think there were only three pair of speakers under $10K, and with the exception of Martin Logan, no major brands of note... all were boutique brands.
I think going and experiencing Axpona will be an amazing experience, and I hope I can do that next year. I would be surprised if you find something better than the Song 3s for the same cost. :)

I won't share my opinion on whether you should wait or not. ;) Now that you've heard them, only you can make that decision. I will say, after I hears the Phil3s, I wasted no time hitting Dennis up and telling him to get ready! :cool:

Cheers!
Come to Axpona this year! I need company...

I suspect I'll be ordering them sooner rather than later at this point.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Every so often I bust out my copy of Joe Lovano's Trio Fascination featuring Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It's impressive to listen to cats like that on speakers that can handle the nuance and detail of what these masters bring to the table! And yes, 2Channel, even I get hung up from time to time with something as simple as hearing the sizzle of a bead chain or rivets on a cymbal, or the soft strike of steel brushes hitting and scraping on a snare. ;)
Well designed speakers bring that out.
Nice...will have to add that.

I've probably said this before, but I love talking systems and what not, but for me the passion is the music. All this great equipment really allows me to take my quest of hearing what the sound engineers and artist intended for us to hear to another level.

The real beauty of the Salk/Murphy speaker designs is for a reasonable price, they more or less get out of the way and let the recording stand on it's own merits. Nothing added, nothing taken away.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Nice...will have to add that.

I've probably said this before, but I love talking systems and what not, but for me the passion is the music. All this great equipment really allows me to take my quest of hearing what the sound engineers and artist intended for us to hear to another level.

The real beauty of the Salk/Murphy speaker designs is for a reasonable price, they more or less get out of the way and let the recording stand on it's own merits. Nothing added, nothing taken away.
Yea, I agree. Since I've gotten the Salk's I don't have to worry about the speakers. I simply enjoy great music and great recordings!! And all my recordings have gone to another artistic level of enjoyment!

I think they are the best value out there and absolutely gorgeous to boot!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

I wonder how these would hold up in a blind test with the Salon 2's from Revel. I could live with either speaker.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just out of curiosity, is that the rose-red curly maple veneer? Gorgeous BTW.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
B

baronvonellis

Audioholic

I wonder how these would hold up in a blind test with the Salon 2's from Revel. I could live with either speaker.
The Salon 2's have a berylium tweeter which would sound almost the same as a RAAL ribbon. It has a 4" titanium mid which is the same as the Song 3's. So, the highs and mids would be about the same probably. I would think the lows would be different with 4 low woofers vs. 1. Not sure if that would be better. The Song's actually have a better sensitivity with only 1 woofer. The Song 3's are a much better value at $3000 vs. $20,000 for sure!

Last edited:
B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I think that's bubinga, with a red dye. It's sometimes called waterfall bubinga or African bubinga. It's an expensive veneer, but beautiful.

Another veneer that I think looks somewhat similar is Pelin Burl.
Yes, it's waterfall bubinga with a bit of red dye. It doesn't look so red in person though. I thought it was way too red in the photos, but that was his studio lighting I guess. In person the red is subdued. Yea the veneer looks amazing! Thanks alot!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's bubinga, with a red dye. It's sometimes called waterfall bubinga or African bubinga. It's an expensive veneer, but beautiful.

Another veneer that I think looks somewhat similar is Pelin Burl.
@Swerd taught me a new word to describe the wavy effect of ripples in the finish of many Salk speakers.
I learned it because mine just knock me out every time I go in an look at them. Jim Salk does some cool stuff.
Chatoyance

I love dropping that word. I believe i have the curly cherry finish. Songtower 3As.
Loved them since the day they rolled in. Still do.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

My understanding is, if you are specifically referencing the SS8, that it may not play as loud as the Salon 2s might (in that the Salon 2s may be able to handle more power), but I would expect SQ to match up favorably in every other manner.
My experience with Jim's new flagship, the SS9.5 was in a very controlled environment. He did not play it loud, but the SQ was astounding.
If I had 20-Large burning a whole in my audio pocket, I'd go with the Salk options over Revel. ;) But that's just me. YMMV. :D

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
My understanding is, if you are specifically referencing the SS8, that it may not play as loud as the Salon 2s might (in that the Salon 2s may be able to handle more power), but I would expect SQ to match up favorably in every other manner.
My experience with Jim's new flagship, the SS9.5 was in a very controlled environment. He did not play it loud, but the SQ was astounding.
If I had 20-Large burning a whole in my audio pocket, I'd go with the Salk options over Revel. ;) But that's just me. YMMV. :D
I think the 9.5 is probably the better comparison, particularly since Jim can't get the SS8's woofers anymore. I don't know how it would stack up against the Salon 2's, but one thing I am sure of is that the horizontal dispersion will be at least as good in terms of smoothness, and it doesn't need a wave guide to achieve that. Its off-axis response is text book. I wish Jim would post those measurements, but he hasn't found that his clients are as interested in a full set of measurements as mine were.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, it's waterfall bubinga with a bit of red dye. It doesn't look so red in person though. I thought it was way too red in the photos, but that was his studio lighting I guess. In person the red is subdued. Yea the veneer looks amazing! Thanks alot!
I probably should have linked your photos in the original post of this thread. I see that color difference.

They really look spectacular. How often do you just stare at them :D? Is the hardwood strip framing the front baffles made with mahogany? Jim matched their color to the bubinga veneer perfectly.

Now that you've had these speakers for a few months, it's safe to say you're not sending them back. You've earned your Merit Badge for "Demoing my Salk Speakers to an Interested Stranger" too. It's time to welcome you to the Salk Speaker Owner Family – and we can teach you the Secret Handshake too :).

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

The revels probably have more spl, but depending on the room it's irrelevant. My Song 3Es are painstakingly accurate and it their low frequency is easy without effort. Can they compete with the Revels in output in a large space, no, but the addition of subs made it moot.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I probably should have linked your photos in the original post of this thread. I see that color difference.

They really look spectacular. How often do you just stare at them :D? Is the hardwood strip framing the front baffles made with mahogany? Jim matched their color to the bubinga veneer perfectly.

Now that you've had these speakers for a few months, it's safe to say you're not sending them back. You've earned your Merit Badge for "Demoing my Salk Speakers to an Interested Stranger" too. It's time to welcome you to the Salk Speaker Owner Family – and we can teach you the Secret Handshake too :).
Semi stranger? LOL

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic

Haha, thanks alot! Yea, I find myself staring at them and just admiring them alot. It's hard not to appreciate the beauty as well as beautiful sounds.

One day Jim said he found some bubinga strips on Ebay and was getting them for me for no charge, so who was I to argue. I didn't think the veneer was that expensive in terms of the overall cost of the speakers, the open back added a substantial cost as well, but for jazz and classical music it is definitely worth it to get the open back. If you only listen to pop/ rock and studio recorded music you don't need it, but for acoustic live music it gives it a more real and live spaciousness to the acoustic instruments.

Haha, no I'm planning on keeping them for a long time, these are going to be lifetime speakers for me for the next 20 years at least. Unless Jim comes out with something better, then I could trade these in with him. Not interested in any other speakers other than a sub at some point. Yea, I think I should get some commission for making a sale to a stranger for Salk Speakers, or how about my Salk Merit Badge! I need to learn the Secret handshake now;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis