Salk Sound HT built around SS8 Towers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Now if he could just come up with a Hiquphon tweeter and a cheaper 5 inch Seas woofer set in some kind of frame to place as atmos, I could have a complete 7.2.4 SALK HT system. How cool would that be.

Sorry I got Waaaaaay off topic here, but Jim and Dennis if you're listening

gr8eyes
Ok, now you're just being silly. :p

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Now if he could just come up with a Hiquphon tweeter and a cheaper 5 inch Seas woofer set in some kind of frame to place as atmos, I could have a complete 7.2.4 SALK HT system. How cool would that be.

Sorry I got Waaaaaay off topic here, but Jim and Dennis if you're listening
Now I think THAT would be overkill! LOL

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Well Gentlemen,

It appears dreams do come true

Fruitful conversations with Jim have revealed this little nugget.

" We are working on a center channel that will have the sameBe tweeter and midrange found in the 9.5 and modified Encores. The woofer will be 6" seas U16 woofer".

:D:D:D:D:D

H e said they don't like to talk about products in detail till the design has been finalized, but did confirm the drivers.

This would lead me to believe it will be similar to the ss7c and hopefully around the same price.

gr8eyes

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well Gentlemen,

It appears dreams do come true

Fruitful conversations with Jim have revealed this little nugget.

" We are working on a center channel that will have the sameBe tweeter and midrange found in the 9.5 and modified Encores. The woofer will be 6" seas U16 woofer".

:D:D:D:D:D

H e said they don't like to talk about products in detail till the design has been finalized, but did confirm the drivers.

This would lead me to believe it will be similar to the ss7c and hopefully around the same price.

gr8eyes
I've heard good things about that Seas U16:

A different speaker project I have been following may involve those or an SB Acoustics woofer for this unique center channel. :)

You'll have to fill us in when you get closer to decision time. :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dreaming of a Center to pair best with the Encore or BeAT

What would that look like??

For me It would be the Satori Be tweeter with either the Eaton or Audio technology mid range woofer with dual 6 or 7 inch Seas bass woofers.

Could that come in around 3,300 dollars ?

Of course its a dream................................................................for now, but some dreams do come true. :)

Gr8eyes
Gr8...been following your thread here and wanted to offer my Salk experience.

I own a pair of Song3A (with a supercharged Song Center).While I respect the thoughts/opinions of others, my experience with the accuton midrange is not edgy as a general thought, and I've had 2-3 hour listening sessions without any fatigue.

I think you can sum up the driver this way...it doesn't have much of a filter...if fed a quality recording...it rewards the listener with quality playback...if the recording has flaws, it will also pass this along to the listener...perhaps moreso than other midranges.

Multi-ch music...it can range from mundane to a full range signal in terms of what is sent to the rear channel (in 5.1...not much experience with 7.1 music) some offer a little initially I bought a pair of RBH book shelf to serve as my surrounds...which I still have...on a whim I moved my previous floorstanders (B&W 804m) to the back in place of the RBH and after 6 months or so with the larger rear speakers...I'm going to struggle to go back to the book shelfs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I own a pair of Song3A (with a supercharged Song Center).While I respect the thoughts/opinions of others, my experience with the accuton midrange is not edgy as a general thought, and I've had 2-3 hour listening sessions without any fatigue.

I think you can sum up the driver this way...it doesn't have much of a filter...if fed a quality recording...it rewards the listener with quality playback...if the recording has flaws, it will also pass this along to the listener...perhaps moreso than other midranges.
This! :)

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
2channel

Thank you for your input.

Of course when I started looking at a system I was drawn to the SS8's and it has an accuton but the guys here and Jim himself have said that's probably not a great fit for me.

Also since I listen to mostly classic rock ,of the 70's variety, that the recordings back then weren't of the highest caliber, so due to the accuton's accuracy I may not be happy with what i was hearing. Meaning the flaws in the recordings.

But I would have no problem building a system around speakers that incorporated the accuton if my music choices would sound great with them

I'll look back again at what floor standers come with that midrange

Thanks again for your replys

Ryan and 2channel

Gr8eyes

2channel lover

2channel

Thank you for your input.

Of course when I started looking at a system I was drawn to the SS8's and it has an accuton but the guys here and Jim himself have said that's probably not a great fit for me.

Also since I listen to mostly classic rock ,of the 70's variety, that the recordings back then weren't of the highest caliber, so due to the accuton's accuracy I may not be happy with what i was hearing. Meaning the flaws in the recordings.

But I would have no problem building a system around speakers that incorporated the accuton if my music choices would sound great with them

I'll look back again at what floor standers come with that midrange

Thanks again for your replys

Ryan and 2channel

Gr8eyes
Apparently Jim is cautious about arbitrarily sending speakers with this midrange...he asked me a series of questions, and we both felt like it was a good fit...but being a basshead I tried to change to the SongE at the last minute before I ordered...he said if this was a 2.0 system I would give it more thought, but with the two subs you have, running 5.1...stay the course. He was right, I'm very happy with my set up.

I don't think they're (accuton mids) genre sensitive. I have a fairly wide range of music...from 60-70s classic rock to 50-60s acoustic jazz and a lot in between.

If your source music is going to be a heavy mix of compressed music files I wouldn't really be steering you toward any Salk speaker to be honest, but one with an accuton mid I would definitely steer you away from. 16/44 and greater size music files...I wouldn't have a problem with so much, but realizing some recordings will sound better than others.

That said...good luck with the build...you're in good hands with Jim..

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Thank you 2channel,

That first paragraph is almost verbatim the discussion Jim had with me, suggesting the BeATs so I'm leaning heavily toward the Song3 BeAT as the fronts.

gr8eyes

2channel lover

Thank you 2channel,

That first paragraph is almost verbatim the discussion Jim had with me, suggesting the BeATs so I'm leaning heavily toward the Song3 BeAT as the fronts.

gr8eyes
Ironic...lol

Great...keep us posted...curious if they had a ton of work in the job que prior to the pandemic starting and being shut down for a while? As you've probably seen and heard from other Salk owners...the cabinets are like works of art. They do take quite a bit of time as a result so have some patience if you do indeed order them...the wait will be worth it.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
The last time I corresponded with Jim I didn't think to ask him about the wait time because I'm not actually ready to order just yet, but I think I saw where h'es about 3-4 months out. I don't know if that means if you were to order today it would be 3-4 months before they were finished or it means he won"t get started on yours in 3-4 months then its 3-4 months from that point. Regardless, I'll be patient. Good things come those who wait.

gr8eyes

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The last time I corresponded with Jim I didn't think to ask him about the wait time because I'm not actually ready to order just yet, but I think I saw where h'es about 3-4 months out. I don't know if that means if you were to order today it would be 3-4 months before they were finished or it means he won"t get started on yours in 3-4 months then its 3-4 months from that point. Regardless, I'll be patient. Good things come those who wait.
Yes, good things do come for those who wait.

I last ordered speakers from Jim Salk on 24 May 2016. At that time, I knew it would be 2 months or longer before they could be shipped. So, I started a long running thread to help me through the wait. You can read the entire 11 page thread, if it helps to get you through your wait ;).

Or you can skip ahead to post #101 (1 Aug 2016) when Jim emailed photos of my speakers. After a brief delay – it didn't seem so brief at the time – I finally received them on 8 Aug 2016. If your speakers take longer, it will still be well worth the wait.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Swerd
Just got through reading the whole thread, in between patients. what a journey you had. Lots of great people own Salks. Thats quite evident. It blows my mind that people like Dennis and Jim will occasionally just jump in and give their considerable expertise and knowledge. I'm still in Shock that they will personally converse with you on a routine basis.
With regards to your speakers you are almost 4 years on and I'm assuming still thoroughly delighted with them. They are beautiful.
I've been drawn to the curly maple in silver gray dye for some reason. And I can't seem to get those blue ones in the gallery out of my head.
I can't wait till I can order my speakers, but its going to be a while yet.

gr8eyes

PS I've noticed some people say that compared to Be dome tweeters the RAALs are sonically about the same except vertical dispersion is not quite as good due to the narrow nature of the design.
I'm just curious, has anyone ever heard of a ribbon tweeter designed in + sign configuration to address this.

If this is the dumbest question to ever grace this forum please just say no yhats stupid and ill move along.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, there are some amazing finishes in that gallery. The burst silver gray dyes are super classy looking. I liked them on quilted maple, but that was more than I had wanted to spend. I also really liked the light black dyed zebrawood veneers I saw as well.

P

PNWer

Audiophyte
Apparently Jim is cautious about arbitrarily sending speakers with this midrange...he asked me a series of questions, and we both felt like it was a good fit...but being a basshead I tried to change to the SongE at the last minute before I ordered...he said if this was a 2.0 system I would give it more thought, but with the two subs you have, running 5.1...stay the course. He was right, I'm very happy with my set up.

I don't think they're (accuton mids) genre sensitive. I have a fairly wide range of music...from 60-70s classic rock to 50-60s acoustic jazz and a lot in between.

If your source music is going to be a heavy mix of compressed music files I wouldn't really be steering you toward any Salk speaker to be honest, but one with an accuton mid I would definitely steer you away from. 16/44 and greater size music files...I wouldn't have a problem with so much, but realizing some recordings will sound better than others.

That said...good luck with the build...you're in good hands with Jim..
I use a set of Salk cabinetry Philaharmonic Audio speakers,
L/R PA Slims
C front ported BMR , vertical
4 surrounds of PA Philamonitors,
Salk Rhythm L12 sub,

The Slims are no longer in production,
but Salk will build the BMR , (and with subs, BMR will also work fine as L/R main speakers),
The cabinetry are beautiful.
and so far my speaker upgraditis has not recurred.

BMR are 85 db/1w speakers, 200 wpc amplifiers are sufficient for HT levels.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Glad located this thread. I visited Jim 9 days ago and ordered the SS 9.5s with beautiful finish, which was met with approval from my "design committee." Also requested to order the center channel as soon as available.
Now have to wait 4-6 months to receive them....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis