ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@everettT: so my receiver came back... seems to be working with my little Rat Shack Linaeum speakers.
crossed over at 150 to 2 Ultra X-13s that I finally unboxed after 2 weeks (since I didn't have my AVR). right now I'm just running in sealed mode, but. D. A. M. N.
I know that list of subs... you can't really go wrong. And this is my first experience with real subs, too. Wow. I can only imagine the potential output with, say 2 Rythmik 15s.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just a small update, I need a sub lol. I have no issues with the speakers playing full range music, I'm just finding myself wanting to fill out the low end with the volume down for the occasional movie and subs will allow me to do so without changing the speaker settings every time. Basically I'm just in purchase mode. I'm tempted to do two monoliths 15s or HSU VTF15s, especially for the price, but I want gloss black which leaves me with svs or rythmik. Descions decisions... just ordered the ProJect carbon esprit so I'll keep it up ...
What are the dimensions of the space?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes in the mix too.. with ported mains, I need a ported sub to match the LPF and HPF effectively, aside from the room being large. I'm doing JTRs all the way around in the new theater and would consider them, just dont need that much..
FV15s or the HP version are beasts! But so are any of the SVS options, too. How close are you to a UPS freight hub? You can save a little from rythmik if u pick up there instead of home delivery: 1574 ea for 2 HPs, less 100 on the order... like I said, I was that close. We know they perform well, both companies. I think I’m intrigued most by the servo tech because that should be more tuneable than the highest end SVS, though their phone app is quite intriguing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What are the dimensions of the space?
Large lol. 25 x 40 x13 approx. The speakers can fill the room and I'm still tweaking. Just figured what the heck might as well. Acusticly the room is really good, a little lively on the top end but thats okay. Gonna make a decision by Thursday.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Large lol. 25 x 40 x13 approx. The speakers can fill the room and I'm still tweaking. Just figured what the heck might as well. Acusticly the room is really good, a little lively on the top end but thats okay. Gonna make a decision by Thursday.
Rythmik FV15HP In duals might be a good option.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Rythmik FV15HP In duals might be a good option.
Also on the list. For the price and performance the Monolith looks strong as well. Waiting to hear from Mark Seaton, as I emailed him a couple of questions.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Large nothing. You just created the next room size category for bassaholics! 25x40x13? Even if you’re off by an inch, that’s EPIC! FV25HP x3 for you! :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also on the list. For the price and performance the Monolith looks strong as well. Waiting to hear from Mark Seaton, as I emailed him a couple of questions.
HSU VTF15 is a good deal as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously, though... you're talking, what, 13,000'3? What do you need to pressurize that space? I'm not suggesting going crazy like Danzilla, but damn. The monolith does have more output than the x-13, no doubt. But not That much more.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts and plans for how you handle that room. I thought the 8000'3 room I was going to be setting up in was tough.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, though... you're talking, what, 13,000'3? What do you need to pressurize that space? I'm not suggesting going crazy like Danzilla, but damn. The monolith does have more output than the x-13, no doubt. But not That much more.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts and plans for how you handle that room. I thought the 8000'3 room I was going to be setting up in was tough.
At what point are we “going crazy”? LOL :)

Also curious why you chose the BMR as a center over the Phil MTM center? I think they are about the same price. Are you going vertical or horizontal with that BMR?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think that people talking about needing to pressurize a room to get a nice bass sound is overstated. Yeah, you do have to pressurize the entire area if you want a nice bass sound throughout the entire room, but you can get decent bass at a small area without flooding the entire room with low frequency pressure waves. Near-field placement can work to hit a single location hard with bass without pressurizing the entire room. Or just having a reasonable proximity to the subwoofers. Like if you are only going to be seated 8 feet or so from the subs, you don't need to pressurize the entire room. You will still get hit with a lot of acoustic energy into pretty high SPLs.

One thing that can help narrow down your criteria is SPL targets and extension. How loud do you want to get? How deep does it have to go? If this system is just for music, you don't really need to go deeper than 30 Hz or so, unless you are a pipe organ aficionado. If you like effects-driven movies but won't be watching them at reference levels (people rarely watch their movies at actual reference level),then you will want something that digs deep but won't need an SPL monster.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think that people talking about needing to pressurize a room to get a nice bass sound is overstated. Yeah, you do have to pressurize the entire area if you want a nice bass sound throughout the entire room, but you can get decent bass at a small area without flooding the entire room with low frequency pressure waves. Near-field placement can work to hit a single location hard with bass without pressurizing the entire room. Or just having a reasonable proximity to the subwoofers. Like if you are only going to be seated 8 feet or so from the subs, you don't need to pressurize the entire room. You will still get hit with a lot of acoustic energy into pretty high SPLs.

One thing that can help narrow down your criteria is SPL targets and extension. How loud do you want to get? How deep does it have to go? If this system is just for music, you don't really need to go deeper than 30 Hz or so, unless you are a pipe organ aficionado. If you like effects-driven movies but won't be watching them at reference levels (people rarely watch their movies at actual reference level), then you will want something that dogs deep but won't need an SPL monster.
Very cool. I love it when you chime in, Shady... I always learn something more! Thank you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
At what point are we “going crazy”? LOL :)

Also curious why you chose the BMR as a center over the Phil MTM center? I think they are about the same price. Are you going vertical or horizontal with that BMR?
I think when you press two PB4000s into the backs of each of your chairs... ;) Maybe just a little?

Dennis is preferring the BMR, modified with the Raal turned 90 degrees, horizontal orientation, as a center over the MTM (not that there's anything wrong with it). Better voice matching and dispersion all around, as I recall the conversation. When he sugested it, I was all over it! I personally prefer a 3-way design, and the other rigs I was considering all had 3-way Centers... so it was one more nail in the... shipping crate!

Now what would really be cool, is if he had a double woofer model of the BMR as a Center option! o_O Ha!

Those speakers are supposed to be great, and the guy that hosted me for auditioning the Phil 3's said there are some things he prefers the BMRs for over the 3s. When I told him the plan of having the BMRs and 3's all paired up I could see his brain start working. That said, his center looked a lot like the Song3 Center from Salk, which he said Dennis recommended to him at the time. I don't recall how long he had the gear tho, but at least 3-4 years based on how old his kids were.

I'm still a week away from getting anything, I think. I know he just got a shipment of Raals, and says he's gonna try to get a pair out to me as soon as he can. *fingers crossed Hopefully the front3 will all come together.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think when you press two PB4000s into the backs of each of your chairs... ;) Maybe just a little?

Dennis is preferring the BMR, modified with the Raal turned 90 degrees, horizontal orientation, as a center over the MTM (not that there's anything wrong with it). Better voice matching and dispersion all around, as I recall the conversation. When he sugested it, I was all over it! I personally prefer a 3-way design, and the other rigs I was considering all had 3-way Centers... so it was one more nail in the... shipping crate!

Now what would really be cool, is if he had a double woofer model of the BMR as a Center option! o_O Ha!

Those speakers are supposed to be great, and the guy that hosted me for auditioning the Phil 3's said there are some things he prefers the BMRs for over the 3s. When I told him the plan of having the BMRs and 3's all paired up I could see his brain start working. That said, his center looked a lot like the Song3 Center from Salk, which he said Dennis recommended to him at the time. I don't recall how long he had the gear tho, but at least 3-4 years based on how old his kids were.

I'm still a week away from getting anything, I think. I know he just got a shipment of Raals, and says he's gonna try to get a pair out to me as soon as he can. *fingers crossed Hopefully the front3 will all come together.
Cool. Ya I’m predicting at least one x13 behind your chair. LOL :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Cool. Ya I’m predicting at least one x13 behind your chair. LOL :)
As my chair... can I turn it upside down for upfiring near field exposure?
My room can’t handle any more than two. ;) and I guarantee one will be near field, just because of the size of my room. I’m trying to prepare for crawling them out. Subwoofer cable should be coming from Monoprice by next week.

Which reminds me: @shadyJ How much difference does it make, having the sub in a chair say, instead of on the floor for doing the crawl? Are we talking a 1-2% improvement in placement performance, or like 10-12%?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My room can’t handle any more than two. ;) and I guarantee one will be near field, just because of the size of my room. I’m trying to prepare for crawling them out. Subwoofer cable should be coming from Monoprice by next week.

Which reminds me: @shadyJ How much difference does it make, having the sub in a chair say, instead of on the floor for doing the crawl? Are we talking a 1-2% improvement in placement performance, or like 10-12%?
@ryanosaur You might try a Blu-ray audio music disc for your new Phils. My Bob Marley Legend Blu-ray Audio has 5.1. I like the Dolby TrueHD track a little better than the DTS-HD MA but maybe it is just mixed hotter. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

It won't make a difference. The subwoofer crawl is a fairly crude way of determining sub placement. It's better than randomly placing the sub anywhere at least. If you try it, use a pink noise that is only being replayed on the subs to find good locations. Listen for when the noise sounds the fullest and most tonally balanced.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ordering the matching Salk/Rythmik 15" subs. At this point it just comes down to aesthetics, as the distortion numbers are really good in the music range, with plenty of headroom. Waiting on the configuration options from Jim to start the order. I'll still run the towers only when at the MLP, add the subs when needed for entertaining.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis