Salk Silk Monitors vs Philharmonic BMR

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Salk Silk is more in the Selah Tempesta price range.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hard to compare other than they both have very good FR, with the BMR being very strong off axis. The AT version, as with the other lines with this driver, seemed a little warm in the upper midrange though the FR plot doesn't indicate it. Could have been me but I think it is, not that it's bad thing.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
My mistake, I think the better comparison would be the BMR & the SS 7M, at least in the design. I assume the SS 7M uses better or more expensive drivers.

Has anyone here heard both the BMR & SS 7M?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My mistake, I think the better comparison would be the BMR & the SS 7M, at least in the design. I assume the SS 7M uses better or more expensive drivers.

Has anyone here heard both the BMR & SS 7M?
I've heard the BMR and the Salk SS 8, but not at the same time and same room. The SS 8 is a larger more expensive floor standing tower with identical mid range and tweeter as the SS 7M, but more potent dual 8" woofers. The mid range driver is an expensive 4" ceramic cone driver from Accuton. It's known for it's detailed sound. The tweeter, among the more expensive types made by RAAL, can be crossed over at lower frequencies than other less expensive RAAL ribbon tweeters. It apparently is needed to work with the 4" Accuton mid range driver.

The SS 8 is built so the mid range driver is open backed, and the stuffing behind it can be varied by the owner from no stuffing at all, to completely closed back. This allows the owner to vary the "sound stage depth" in the mid range. I believe the SS 7M comes with a less complex cabinet, with a completely closed back.

The BMR has very good drivers that contribute to a similar detailed sound, but at a significantly lower price. The ~2" BMR mid range is a unique flat coned driver that has unusually wide off-axis performance. Because this 2" driver can be crossed over higher than the 4" Accuton, the BMR's RAAL ribbon tweeter does not have to go as low. This allows using a less expensive RAAL ribbon. Together the 2" BMR and the RAAL ribbon provide an unusually detailed and wide sound image.

The woofers in the BMR and SS 7M are not identical but seem to have similar performance.

Both the BMR and the Salk SS 7M were designed by Dennis Murphy. All of his speakers deliver clear sounding, detailed, mid range and treble with great emphasis on realistic sound stage and imaging. Their bass is clean sounding without any exaggeration. I believe the BMR design came at a later time than the SS 7M, and was intended to meet a lower price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis