Salk Signature Sound Song3-A Update

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
You know, I get similar experiences with old video games.

In my memory, the graphics always look better than they really do when I come back and play them again today.

I think it's also just one of those oddities with the brain.....you just gloss over the old inadequacies in your memories and it takes a fresh look to remind you how crappy some aspect really was.
slippery
Ah, memory.
My son and I went to a hot rod show recently and we saw a car there we have both been joking about for a couple of years. Both of us were pretty sure the first hot rod show we saw this car at was in 2014 or 2015. I looked at the digital timestamp on the photos and it was 2010. Its been 7 years not 2 or 3. We would both have bet money on 2 or 3.

As it applies to audio, we are in no better shape. Folks that post here about their ability to do A-B testing make me laugh. They say they can listen to A and then minutes or hours later listen to B and think they can make a valid comparison. Audio memory (for comparison purposes) decays so quickly our brains are easily fooled. Floyd Tooles work (I'm still working my way through his 3rd Edition book) makes this abundantly clear. But the golden eared crowd can defy the limitations of not only our ears, but apparently our brain and its sketchy memory as well.

I enjoyed the comparison with video games. True stuff. Another trick of memory is how funny an old movie was/is. I distinctly remember watching a comedy movie called "Its a Mad, Mad World" with an all star cast back in the day. I played it for my wife who hadn't seen it and it was so dang boring and bad we turned it off after just a bit. Similar to trying an old game of Pong.

Good observations

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
slippery
Ah, memory.
My son and I went to a hot rod show recently and we saw a car there we have both been joking about for a couple of years. Both of us were pretty sure the first hot rod show we saw this car at was in 2014 or 2015. I looked at the digital timestamp on the photos and it was 2010. Its been 7 years not 2 or 3. We would both have bet money on 2 or 3.

As it applies to audio, we are in no better shape. Folks that post here about their ability to do A-B testing make me laugh. They say they can listen to A and then minutes or hours later listen to B and think they can make a valid comparison. Audio memory (for comparison purposes) decays so quickly our brains are easily fooled. Floyd Tooles work (I'm still working my way through his 3rd Edition book) makes this abundantly clear. But the golden eared crowd can defy the limitations of not only our ears, but apparently our brain and its sketchy memory as well.

I enjoyed the comparison with video games. True stuff. Another trick of memory is how funny an old movie was/is. I distinctly remember watching a comedy movie called "Its a Mad, Mad World" with an all star cast back in the day. I played it for my wife who hadn't seen it and it was so dang boring and bad we turned it off after just a bit. Similar to trying an old game of Pong.

Good observations
Not just memories, but sometimes maturity!
As a kid, I used to religiously watch Batman (on the same bat channel at the same bat time) every week.
Then, one day as an adult, I saw it on one of the "antique TV stations" and watched it. I could not believe it was the same show.
As a young kid, I believed it to be a realistic and even sophisticated show involving wits and clever deduction as well as "Wham!" and "KaPow!" Maybe like Colombo, only with more action!
As an adult, I heard stilted dialog being delivered as if the actors were saying them for the benefit of the audience rather than speaking to each other. My favorite scene was where batman took two of the (color coordinated in striped thug uniforms) thugs by the head and smashed them together (with the gratuitous "Crack)!" and the camera shoots to Robin who took a break from fighting to watch and literally grin and exclaim "Yuck, yuck, yuck!" like some kind of idiot!!!
I was a bit disappointed to experience the adult reality of an exalted icon of my youth, but it was sooooo hilarious, it was worth it (and a good lesson on how fluid our perception of reality can be)!!!

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Not just memories, but sometimes maturity!
As a kid, I used to religiously watch Batman (on the same bat channel at the same bat time) every week.
Then, one day as an adult, I saw it on one of the "antique TV stations" and watched it. I could not believe it was the same show.
As a young kid, I believed it to be a realistic and even sophisticated show involving wits and clever deduction as well as "Wham!" and "KaPow!" Maybe like Colombo, only with more action!
As an adult, I heard stilted dialog being delivered as if the actors were saying them for the benefit of the audience rather than speaking to each other. My favorite scene was where batman took two of the (color coordinated in striped thug uniforms) thugs by the head a smashed them together (with the gratuitous "Crack!" and the camera shoots to Robin who took a break from fighting to watch and literally grin and exclaim "Yuck, yuck, yuck!" like some kind of idiot!!!
I was a bit disappointed to experience the adult reality of an exalted icon of my youth, but it was sooooo hilarious, it was worth it (and a good lesson on how fluid our perception of reality can be)!!!
Adam West as batman. Now there's a show that didn't age well. I can completely agree with your sentiments. I watched that show a lot growing up. I thought the batmobile was the coolest car ever. Looking at it now, well, the whole thing seems less so goofy.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
My freshman year in college, the guys in the dorm room next to me used to smoke a lot of pot and then watch Batman every day on TV. They laughed their heads off.

They also flunked out after less than a year.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My freshman year in college, the guys in the dorm room next to me used to smoke a lot of pot and then watch Batman every day on TV. They laughed their heads off.

They also flunked out after less than a year.
so was it watching batman that did them in, or, laughing their heads off?:D

oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
Wish my wife would tell me, "just get the Salks"! ;)
You might appreciate this. I'd originally ordered a pair of HT-2 TL's from Jim and we were to pick them up at an AudioKarma (AK Fest) in Northville, MI. When we got to Jim's room he had a pair of Soundscape 8's set up, and as we listened my wife said "why aren't we getting these"? That's how I ended up with SS8's.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
You might appreciate this. I'd originally ordered a pair of HT-2 TL's from Jim and we were to pick them up at an AudioKarma (AK Fest) in Northville, MI. When we got to Jim's room he had a pair of Soundscape 8's set up, and as we listened my wife said "why aren't we getting these"? That's how I ended up with SS8's.
my wife needs to meet your wife

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis