Sad Day, my local audio dealer closed it's doors

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have been buying from my local audio shop in Naperville since 2002. I bought my first Yamaha AVR from him up to my last Anthem. So many Sony TV's I lost count lol. Probably 6 main pairs of speakers, lots of surround, etc. I have referred many people, some from this site to his shop because they always took care of me.

While I have started to buy a few more items from other sellers, some on this site, I will miss the opportunity to walk into my favorite audio store, BS and have some fun trying out new gear. It's part of what made this hobby fun for me.

Ok now what to buy next... LOL

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have been buying from my local audio shop in Naperville since 2002. I bought my first Yamaha AVR from him up to my last Anthem. So many Sony TV's I lost count lol. Probably 6 main pairs of speakers, lots of surround, etc. I have referred many people, some from this site to his shop because they always took care of me.

While I have started to buy a few more items from other sellers, some on this site, I will miss the opportunity to walk into my favorite audio store, BS and have some fun trying out new gear. It's part of what made this hobby fun for me.

Ok now what to buy next... LOL
If there's a liquidation, post details..

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Long story, but he owned the business, went through a messy divorce, the deal to sell his business fell through no longer owns the business and his ex has no idea what t do I am sure.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Long story, but he owned the business, went through a messy divorce, the deal to sell his business fell through no longer owns the business and his ex has no idea what t do I am sure.
This scenario sounds very familiar. What was the name of the store?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All my favorites closed long ago, lucky you had one local this long!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
It's really sad that the big box stores have such a negative effect on local Audio businesses. It's very difficult to listen to higher-end products and decide which model you like. These days, a lot of folks have to read owners reviews and hope for the best.

highfigh

highfigh

It's really sad that the big box stores have such a negative effect on local Audio businesses. It's very difficult to listen to higher-end products and decide which model you like. These days, a lot of folks have to read owners reviews and hope for the best.
What big box stores? Best Buy? Who do they compete with? Certainly not competing with good audio stores unless, maybe they actually have good salespeople at the Magnolia locations. You don't feel the impact from people buying online? While many brands forbid it it, many sell from their own sites and have authorized resellers.

I hate having to compete with manufacturers that offer the same models, at lower prices.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I quit abiding by small business once the authorized repair aspect left it and the industry got taken over by salesmen instead of techs. Outside of that, it basically became just a commercial address to ship to, run by someone who really didn't know much more than I did already other than what inside information they could offer before it became mainstream.

Same with welding and other, what used to be professional supply houses. Used to be, the old hand at the counter had some years in the trade, so he knew exactly what we needed and why, without a lot of sales fluff.

I don't get along with modern sales industry and it's minions at all, and try to avoid any interaction with it, if I can.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still would like a place to go listen to speakers at least. I have almost no shops local anymore, I have to drive ~1hr or so to listen.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What big box stores? Best Buy? Who do they compete with? Certainly not competing with good audio stores unless, maybe they actually have good salespeople at the Magnolia locations. You don't feel the impact from people buying online? While many brands forbid it it, many sell from their own sites and have authorized resellers.

I hate having to compete with manufacturers that offer the same models, at lower prices.
My magnolia is like a hour away almost I haven’t been there in 8+ years . I actually got my speakers at the regular best buy that discontinued my icon line it’s better than regular reference Klipsch.
All my favorites closed long ago, lucky you had one local this long!
Yeah same here audio blackout zone last shop closed 9 years ago, bestbuy only man left standing. Hhgreg sucked they gone , circuit city gone.. :(

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
This scenario sounds very familiar. What was the name of the store?
Deluxe Audio Video Naperville, Bob was my go to guy for about 90% of my gear since 2002

I am fortunate in the Chicagoland area and have about 10+ I can visit in less than 50 miles. The probelm is I don't trust most of them.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Deluxe Audio Video Naperville, Bob was my go to guy for about 90% of my gear since 2002

I am fortunate in the Chicagoland area and have about 10+ I can visit in less than 50 miles. The probelm is I don't trust most of them.
Yeah, Chicago has enough people who appreciate the hobby more than in than smaller cities and they're more willing to part with their money for bigger ticket purchases.

Ever go to Saturday Audio?

dolsey01

dolsey01

Enthusiast
Jeez, anything left in the burbs? Grew up in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn and it seems they are all gone now. Even worked for United Audio Centers back in the 90s.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, Chicago has enough people who appreciate the hobby more than in than smaller cities and they're more willing to part with their money for bigger ticket purchases.

Ever go to Saturday Audio?
I have talked to the owner a few times at Axpona, just to far for me to drive to the city. My go to brick and mortar place right now is Simply Stereo in Palatine. They have given me some stellar deals on my Anthem Pre/Pro and my Persona C center. I have sent a few people from our Paradigm Thread there who he has taken care of as well.

We also have some stellar people on this site!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If anyone is interested, the Target HiFi in London, Ontario, is still open. If you click on the photo on the main page you get taken to a virtual walk-through of the entire store. There is a stair case next to the front counter which leads upstairs to several listening room. They carry both new and a lot of vintage gear as well. This is where I picked up my Project turntable.

The other store is London Audio. They were the top hi-fi shop for years and are the local Paradigm and B&W rep. They moved to a new location which I have not visited yet. They have transitioned to being a full service company specializing in home automation, home theatre and home security. Probably a smart move as it is difficult to survive on home audio alone. If you click on the Gallery link you can see that the store looks more like a staged home than an audio store. They are selling life-style, and yes, they like B&W a lot.

We also have a 2001 Audio Video which is a Canadian chain. While they carry brands like Klipsch, KEF, PSB and Paradigm for example, they have limited selection. They only have the KEF Q series and the Paradigm Monitor. More of a Best Buy alternative.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis