RZ830 + 7 channel amp + zone2/3

N

Nathanls14

Audiophyte
I’m sure I’m missing something very simple here but need some help. I’ve read through the onkyo manual multiple times and everything seems to point to this being doable but I can’t figure it out.

I have a 5.1 setup in my living room and have speakers for zone 2 on my back porch and zone 3 on my garage. Everything works as expected when running through the onkyo unit.

What I want to do is add a monolith 7x200 to the setup and power LCR and both zones to pull the work off of the receiver but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it up to do so.

If I change the config to bi amp, I lose the zones and just plugging rcas in to the pre outs does nothing and I get no sound. What am I doing wrong?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The “Bi-Amp” feature is used to connect two sets of speaker wire to each Front speaker if they are so equipped. Turn “Bi-Amp” feature OFF.

N

Nathanls14

Audiophyte
The “Bi-Amp” feature is used to connect two sets of speaker wire to each Front speaker if they are so equipped. Turn “Bi-Amp” feature OFF.

Oh ok! I currently have it off. How do I use the pre outs on the receiver in conjunction with the external amplifier? Do I need to do anything in the receivers config or is it as simple as plug in the rca to the pre out and then the input on the amp? I tried that and I got no sound out of the amplifier when I tried it that way.

Appreciate any help!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
So, check the Speaker Configuration settings. It should be set to 5.1, Bi-Amp OFF, or NO I think, and Zone Speaker set to Zone 2/Zone 3.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Oh ok! I currently have it off. How do I use the pre outs on the receiver in conjunction with the external amplifier? Do I need to do anything in the receivers config or is it as simple as plug in the rca to the pre out and then the input on the amp? I tried that and I got no sound out of the amplifier when I tried it that way.

Appreciate any help!
The manual can be found here.

Page 57 shows connecting an external power amplifier. It makes no mention of any special settings to activate the pre-amp out. The per-amp out jacks should always be active. Speakers are set up in the normal manner, as mentioned by Treb above.

N

Nathanls14

Audiophyte
So, check the Speaker Configuration settings. It should be set to 5.1, Bi-Amp OFF, or NO I think, and Zone Speaker set to Zone 2/Zone 3.
That’s exactly how I have it setup in the config, I’ll have to try again. Maybe my amp is just junk ugh!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Make sure external amp port switches are set to RCA, not XLR.

What is the source of the audio you are trying to get to Zones 2 and 3? How is the source connected to the Onkyo? There are different signal limitations for Zones 2 and 3.

N

Nathanls14

Audiophyte
Make sure external amp port switches are set to RCA, not XLR.

What is the source of the audio you are trying to get to Zones 2 and 3? How is the source connected to the Onkyo? There are different signal limitations for Zones 2 and 3.
I’ll check this as well, definitely my ignorance here! Looking at the manual again, looks like there is a switch for each channel and the default is xlr, I never switched to rca…ugh

Audio source I manage through the receiver, usually it’s pandora or Spotify for music which is all internal. I also have it setup where I can play what’s on zone 1 via HDMI converter to get an analog audio signal via rca.

Last edited:
N

Nathanls14

Audiophyte
Do you have the 12V trigger connected from the AVR to the AMP?
I don’t, that was listed as optional in the manual.

I think treb hit it, I think the default is xlr and I didn’t not switch to rca….

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis