Rythmik vs Monolith

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Dual FV18 fix a lot of bass worries….
It creates another issue in my room as they’re just too tall and placing on their sides isn’t an option. Thank you though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It creates another issue in my room as they’re just too tall and placing on their sides isn’t an option. Thank you though

What about Rythmik FV15's dual? Have you also thought about contacting Enrico and Bryan at Rythmik and talking to them about your room and your options for that room?

They are awesome about talking with and helping they're customers. They were the best in helping me choose my Rythmik FV 18's in my room.

They'd know the best if the G25HP is the best sub or 2 for that room

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
What about Rythmik FV15's dual? Have you also thought about contacting Enrico and Bryan at Rythmik and talking to them about your room and your options for that room?

They are awesome about talking with and helping they're customers. They were the best in helping me choose my Rythmik FV 18's in my room.

They'd know the best if the G25HP is the best sub or 2 for that room
I did reach out to Rythmik directly. I explained my use case, room size and dynamics. etc. I shared I was considering a pair of G25's. Enrico responded and copied Brian. I appreciated his response however it was lacking in terms of any thoughts, or advice. All he said was a pair of G25's in my space would cause alot of damage to my walls.

The FV15's would certainly be something to consider. Thank you for suggesting them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I did reach out to Rythmik directly. I explained my use case, room size and dynamics. etc. I shared I was considering a pair of G25's. Enrico responded and copied Brian. I appreciated his response however it was lacking in terms of any thoughts, or advice. All he said was a pair of G25's in my space would cause alot of damage to my walls.

The FV15's would certainly be something to consider. Thank you for suggesting them
The G25's are dual 18 sealed. They are for a sealed sub absolute monsters. They also have a good low end extension for a sealed sub with good rolloff in your room They are going to be monsters. But the FV15 thank to they're natural higher output over sealed in the low end may well be able to get you they're for less money

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
The G25's are dual 18 sealed. They are for a sealed sub absolute monsters. They also have a good low end extension for a sealed sub with good rolloff in your room They are going to be monsters. But the FV15 thank to they're natural higher output over sealed in the low end may well be able to get you they're for less money
I understood the G25’s to be dual opposing 15’s. I’m back to considering the virtues of ported versus sealed (again. I don’t know what I don’t know having never hear a ported sub before

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Look at the Arendal 1723 1S subs. They have a very gradual roll-off and will net you a deeper response than the ULS-15 subs. You could get three or four of them, and then calibrate with Dirac Bass Control, and, if they are placed well, you would have just about perfect bass to well below 20Hz. Alternatively, if you have room, look at the Hsu VTF-15h mkII, they can be tuned to 16Hz, and two or three will get you bowel-churning deep bass as well as a perfect frequency response with good placement and calibration. Same thing with the Monolith subs, especially the 15".
Seems I missed out on a great deal yesterday. I got an email from Monoprice which I could not get to until later in the day. They had a deal on their first generation 15 in subs. $599 each and with free shipping. I would have bought 3 and gave it a try. For less than $2000K all in, hard to beat. Maybe they'll have them again

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems I missed out on a great deal yesterday. I got an email from Monoprice which I could not get to until later in the day. They had a deal on their first generation 15 in subs. $599 each and with free shipping. I would have bought 3 and gave it a try. For less than $2000K all in, hard to beat. Maybe they'll have them again
Try CS. They might still honor it. Tell them you were outta town or something. Never know if ya don’t go!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I understood the G25’s to be dual opposing 15’s. I’m back to considering the virtues of ported versus sealed (again. I don’t know what I don’t know having never hear a ported sub before

Shut my bad U thought they were 18's. I don't know I still like ported anyways

Especially for home theater usage but the myth they can't be good for music as well. Not true. Depends like sealed on how well a particular vented sub is designed

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Shut my bad U thought they were 18's. I don't know I still like ported anyways

Especially for home theater usage but the myth they can't be good for music as well. Not true. Depends like sealed on how well a particular vented sub is designed
All good. Not a big deal one way or the other. I find people have a love/ hate relationship with dual, opposite fire designs. Some say the woofers works against one another, while others just love what they have to offer. Opinions are like snowflakes

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
All good. Not a big deal one way or the other. I find people have a love/ hate relationship with dual, opposite fire designs. Some say the woofers works against one another, while others just love what they have to offer. Opinions are like snowflakes
There's no doubt in my mind that the G25 is an absolute beast for a sealed subwoofer. It's just pricey which any sealed sub is going to be that can get you that kind of performance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's one complaint (the drivers working against each other thing) I hadn't seen before. I have no complaints with my dual opposed 15" (different brand, tho). Just a type of sealed sub and the resulting fairly inert cabinet is nice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's one complaint (the drivers working against each other thing) I hadn't seen before. I have no complaints with my dual opposed 15" (different brand, tho). Just a type of sealed sub and the resulting fairly inert cabinet is nice.
I have to wonder if there aren't technical reasons why dual-opposed would be inferior? If we look at push-pull designs and how they reduce even-order harmonic distortion products, wouldn't dual-opposed 'push-push' actually increase even-order distortion? One caveat is that push-pull seems like it needs a small enclosure to work well in, so maybe dual-opposed wouldn't be as affected so long as the drivers get some breathing room. Also, drivers can be engineered for small enclosure by making compensating for the higher pressure of inward travel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have to wonder if there aren't technical reasons why dual-opposed would be inferior? If we look at push-pull designs and how they reduce even-order harmonic distortion products, wouldn't dual-opposed 'push-push' actually increase even-order distortion? One caveat is that push-pull seems like it needs a small enclosure to work well in, so maybe dual-opposed wouldn't be as affected so long as the drivers get some breathing room. Also, drivers can be engineered for small enclosure by making compensating for the higher pressure of inward travel.
I've just not seen that particular comment. The physics of how it works, dunno, but the design has worked well with several manufacturers it seems. Just went over to data-bass.com to see if it showed up in measurements like that only to see the website is pretty much down, some comments in the forum about someone perhaps taking over....any idea what's going on over there?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven’t seen any evidence that there is a drawback to any conventional dual driver design other than needing double the cabinet volume. Some designers I spoke with even say a push-pull still wants 2x Vas, so the size of the cabinet will still have the same requirement.
We would need a slew of measurements to prove if any dual driver whether they are on opposing baffles or mounted on the same baffle vs the same driver in a single driver design behave differently.
As to the force canceling claims of neutralizing the rocking motion of a single driver… that falls into the same situation of needing proof and measurements that this is a problem in need of a solution… much like claims of requiring special isolation feet. ;)
I would be surprised to see multiple drivers somehow increase distortion measurements as long as the cabinets are not the culprit. On the other hand the push-pull alignments when implemented properly do in fact seem to minimize some distortion components.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've just not seen that particular comment. The physics of how it works, dunno, but the design has worked well with several manufacturers it seems. Just went over to data-bass.com to see if it showed up in measurements like that only to see the website is pretty much down, some comments in the forum about someone perhaps taking over....any idea what's going on over there?
I dunno what is happening over there. Hopefully, someone will step up and save it, it was an invaluable resource.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis