RXV2500 auto setup question/concern

• Thread starter firefighterchri
  • Start date
F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
I have a Yamaha RXV2500 and just today realized that something seems to be very odd when I start the auto setup to do the test tones. What is happening is when it starts on the left front speaker it will give like 6 tones but on all the other speakers it will only give 3-4 tones (can't remember). This is only on the first test and all other test done during the same test are the same. Is this normal, I can't remember if it was already like this; never really paid attention? Thanks

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
My 2500 did similar things when I set it up. I wouldn't worry about it.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
I'm sure it's normal, I'm not sure why there are fewer test tones on the remaining speakers. I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 and the same thing happens.

O

Orcasite

Enthusiast
Is this possibly correct?

Could it be that there are more test tones on the left-front speaker to allow additional time at the start of the process to adjust the sound pressure to the reference level?

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
thanks, I was getting a little concerned. I guess it is normal as I have excellent quality and power from the receiver.

S

sounduser

Audiophyte
YPAO test tones

I have a new HTR-5860 receiver & all the speakers proding the same number of test tones.
I would like to ask anybody who has a Yamaha receiver with YPAO do me a favor. Please redo your YPAO AUTO setup, and pay attention to listen to the test tones during EQUALIZING step & let me know if you can hear any test tones (and from which speaker if not from all). I bought a new HTR-5860 but I found there is no audible test tone when it is doing the auto setup EQUALIZING step. During all other auto setep steps, such as WIRING, SIZE/DISTENCE, I can hear test tones. only equalizing step no test tones.
YAMAHA Owner's Manual page 24 (Auto Setup section) boasts that the "EQUALIZING step: adjusts frequency and levels of each channel's parametric equalizer to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive sound field. This is particularly important if you use different brands or sizes of speakers... or have a room with unique sonic characteristics." YPAO can "equalizing calibration incorporates three parameters... for each of the seven bands in its paraetric equalizer to provide highly precise automatic adjustment of frequency characteristics"
I do not think (and understand how) the equalizer can adjust all these without producing audible test tones. So I would like to verify if it is normal for all other receivers or I just got a receiver with defect.

Please help me to make sure before I send this receiver to Yamaha service center to repair.
Thanks,
Sounduser

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I can verify, as I have a 2500, there are no audible tones during equalization. It must analyze the earlier tones and use them for calculating during this step.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
Sounduser,

Does the HTR-5860 even do parametric equalization? I'm pretty sure that its predecessor model, the 5760, only does the "partial YPAO", without parametric equalization, similar to the RX-V650 and RX-V750 models. So, you get the speaker size, distance, etc. parts of YPAO, but not parametric equalization. (There IS a graphic equalizer for the center channel, but it requires manual set-up.) The 5790/5890 (as well as the RX-V1500 and 2500) do the full parametric equalization.

If the full YPAO capability has been extended to the 5860 (and therefore presumably to the RX-V657 and 757), that would be a nice feature addition.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Doug917 is correct as far as 2500 is concerned. I too own a 2500 and tones are audible(static and burst tones) during size, distance, etc. But not during eq set-up. Recv'r takes what it has recognized and then sets eq curves to best suit your space or environment. Great for movies but I don't like it for music. I manually tuned for music and saved the setting. I now have 2 settings. 1 for jams/dvd concerts and the other for movies.

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
The new RXV-657 and RXV-757 have added the EQ step to their YPAO adjustments. On the EQ set-up the receiver uses the pink noise that is used for level setting for the EQ also. The set-up also does take longer on the first speaker because it is used to set the reference level.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
mnnc, I have the 2500 also. You stated that you save yours. 1 for music and 1 for movies. I have a question as far as the setup goes. Does it matter what you set the receiver on as far as say dolby digital, dts, THX, enhanced surround, etc. and then do the auto setup? Will it set it up to a specific setting or does it not matter what you have it set on and it will calibrated the system to any setting the same. I know if you set the setting to Natural, flat, or front it will make a difference for the setup. Thanks and if anybody else has any idea then I would love to hear them!

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
Surround mode will not make a difference in auto-setup, and the difference in set-up with your natural, flat, or front is the way it sets the EQ.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
gwilav, I understand that the neautral, flat, or front is for the eq but, what I don't quite understand is say I have 2 or movies that are dubbed in DTS and say 2 or more that have the THX sound and video and maybe 2 in dolby digital, and maybe some music cd's that I want saved or programed in the receiver. Do I have to do a autosetup for each one; (DTS,THX, Dolby Digital, CD's)or do I set it up one time for all. For instance would I save #1 for music, (whether it be cd, sacd, radio, etc) using the front eq and put the receiver on standard or whatever I liked and then maybe save #2 for movies regardless of what soundfeild I pick and use flat or will the reiver only save what soundfeild I choose. I don't know if any of this makes any sense but I am trying to explain it the best I can. If anybody knows what I am talking about and can explain it better please feel free. THANKS

S

sounduser

Audiophyte
How to verify YPAO functions

rschleicher said:
Sounduser,

Does the HTR-5860 even do parametric equalization? I'm pretty sure that its predecessor model, the 5760, only does the "partial YPAO", without parametric equalization, similar to the RX-V650 and RX-V750 models. So, you get the speaker size, distance, etc. parts of YPAO, but not parametric equalization. (There IS a graphic equalizer for the center channel, but it requires manual set-up.) The 5790/5890 (as well as the RX-V1500 and 2500) do the full parametric equalization.

If the full YPAO capability has been extended to the 5860 (and therefore presumably to the RX-V657 and 757), that would be a nice feature addition.
rschleicher,
I am not sure. But HTR5860 owner's manual says so (YPAO can "equalizing calibration incorporates three parameters... for each of the seven bands in its paraetric equalizer to provide highly precise automatic adjustment of frequency characteristics"). Somebody told me that the HTR5860 only does not provide the choice of "flat, natural or front" after equalizing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis