Rxv-2400.. Bass Out= Sub or Both?

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Hello all- I've had my RX V2400 for quite some time now, and have it hooked up to an AXIOM setup w/M60, VP150, QS8's, and the EP500 sub. Set all speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, Bass out to "Sub" and everything sounds great.

However, playing around yesterday while listening to some 2 Ch Cd's out of the fronts and sub only, I noticed that when I left everything the same, but switched Bass out to "both", I got even richer bass that really filled my room. (which unfortunately is a perfect square), even w/front towers set to small.

The same went for any 2 channel source set in PLII mode.]

When I listen to 5.1 movie's it sounds the same w/either Bass set to Sub or Both.

Should I leave it on both? Am I taking anything away from the sub or possibly damaging my towers by doing this?

Or is this perhaps helping w/a nasty room mode due to square shape that may have been causing a dip in the mid bass region w/just the sub?

Thanks to all for any guidance.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
darthkringle,

I have a 2500. If you have all your speakers set to small, I believe it will still just send bass to the sub. I think the both means it will send it to the sub and any speakers set to large. I have mine set to sub.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Setting it to both will send lower end bass to any speakers set to "large" as Doug quoted. You may be hearing mid bass lost when you set your mains to "small." Your mains are capable of reproducing that "punchy" bass if they are fed the full frequency range, or at least everything above 60Hz. If your sub can't handle the higher end bass, you need to use your mains for mid bass. If it sounds better to you, set it to both.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
darthkringle said:
Hello all- I've had my RX V2400 for quite some time now, and have it hooked up to an AXIOM setup w/M60, VP150, QS8's, and the EP500 sub. Set all speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, Bass out to "Sub" and everything sounds great.

However, playing around yesterday while listening to some 2 Ch Cd's out of the fronts and sub only, I noticed that when I left everything the same, but switched Bass out to "both", I got even richer bass that really filled my room. (which unfortunately is a perfect square), even w/front towers set to small.

The same went for any 2 channel source set in PLII mode.]

When I listen to 5.1 movie's it sounds the same w/either Bass set to Sub or Both.

Should I leave it on both? Am I taking anything away from the sub or possibly damaging my towers by doing this?

Or is this perhaps helping w/a nasty room mode due to square shape that may have been causing a dip in the mid bass region w/just the sub?

Thanks to all for any guidance.

Also, pay attention to which stereo or 2 channel mode you are using. Some do not include LFE/sub output. So you would not be getting lowest freq's delivered however, by choosing 'both' in 'bass out' you will get full freq's including LFE's.

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
Setting bass to both will send low frequencies to both the sub and the front speakers, but LFE tracks go only to the sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis