RX-V675 or RX-A3070

HardRockinRed

HardRockinRed

Audiophyte
I have an RX-V675 biamped to 2 JBL E90's and running N24's for the surrounds. I have run REW with a UMIK-1 and it really lacks in brightness. I have a very old Yamaha receiver and when I would hear glass shattering in the movies, it was very bright and crisp. The RX-V675 lacks all of the detail when it comes to treble. It sounds dull and lifeless. Would the RX-A3070 fix this issue? Were the RX-V series sub-par on the high end, or did I just get a bad receiver?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have an RX-V675 biamped to 2 JBL E90's and running N24's for the surrounds. I have run REW with a UMIK-1 and it really lacks in brightness. I have a very old Yamaha receiver and when I would hear glass shattering in the movies, it was very bright and crisp. The RX-V675 lacks all of the detail when it comes to treble. It sounds dull and lifeless. Would the RX-A3070 fix this issue? Were the RX-V series sub-par on the high end, or did I just get a bad receiver?
How far do you sit, how loud, room size?

It could be that you messed up some settings unknowingly. Have you tried resetting it to factory default settings?

The A3070 is of course a much better unit but it won't make night and day difference.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Turn off YPAO and try it again- if it sounds normal (did you just run REW as soon as it came out of the box?), leave it and/or run the setup again.

I would connect the speakers conventionally and not worry about bi-amping (which isn't really 'bi-amping', anyway). If the channels that are connected to the woofers are turned up much higher than the mids/tweets, it will sound bad.

HardRockinRed

HardRockinRed

Audiophyte
I sit about 10 feet from my front speakers. I usually keep it at -25, which is around 75db with 100-105 peaks. Right out of the box, it never had that sparkle, or crispness to the treble. That is when I bought the UMIK-1 and ran REW to try to correct the problem, but nothing helped. I used to live in an apartment and had it all hooked up and I had the same issue there. My room at my apartment was about 400 sq feet and at my house, it is around 700 sq feet.

HardRockinRed

HardRockinRed

Audiophyte
I ran YPAO and listened, then factory reset, then ran REW and listened, then factory reset and listened without any calibration. The sound was wildly different each time, but the treble never was bright at all. I reloaded my REW calibration because it sounded the best of all 3. I have even tried my old Infinity towers and still, no difference.

HardRockinRed

HardRockinRed

Audiophyte
I just ordered the RX-A3070 from Amazon and it comes with a free Klipsch SW-311. That will be a nice compliment to my RBH RS1010i!

HardRockinRed

HardRockinRed

Audiophyte
What do you mean by that? REW/Umik-1 alone can do measurements only, but not EQ.
I ran REW and adjusted the parametric EQ on my Yamaha receiver for a flatter response curve. I adjusted each speaker manually and got a + or - 4-5 db curve. It took 2 days to do, but I did far better than YPAO ever could.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ran REW and adjusted the parametric EQ on my Yamaha receiver for a flatter response curve. I adjusted each speakeYouanually and got a + or - 4-5 db curve. It took 2 days to do, but I did far better than YPAO ever could.
That's good. You use their Q's too?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The natural setting made both my 2060 and 681 sound bright and very much like the old 3300 Yamaha I had previously. It only takes a second to try out that setting.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
If I listen to any of my receivers, old and new, out of the box is too bright. I did, a long long time ago, have a HK330B that never sounded right at all, very dull, like a hi cut filter was on. A trip to HK, and almost 6 months, solved all it's issues except it had nowhere near enough power, so I sold it off. My new Yamaha receiver is too bright out of the box. The Natural setting is pretty hot. YPAO hasn't made me happy so far, but it doesn't sound awful. It just seems to sound better if I manually tweak it.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
If I listen to any of my receivers, old and new, out of the box is too bright. I did, a long long time ago, have a HK330B that never sounded right at all, very dull, like a hi cut filter was on. A trip to HK, and almost 6 months, solved all it's issues except it had nowhere near enough power, so I sold it off. My new Yamaha receiver is too bright out of the box. The Natural setting is pretty hot. YPAO hasn't made me happy so far, but it doesn't sound awful. It just seems to sound better if I manually tweak it.
Hi ' newbie here ☺ I have a question about the setting you and "snakeeyes" mentioned here, when you say "Natural setting" are you guys referring to the parametric EQ in the menu settings ? I have the RX-V675 and in that part of the menu it gives the options of #1manual #2YPAO:Flat #3YPAO:Front ("#4YPAO:Natural") #5 Through and was wondering if this is what your referring to , If so do i still need a spl meter to use this setting ? i have done a manual setting untill i get a meter as i mention in my Newbie post I've been on a learning curve here trying to find better options/settings for this receiver . Thanks in advance.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You can try them out and pick your favorite or tweak the manual one. I have been happy with natural but you may prefer something else. A spl meter isn’t necessary. Your ears are the best measurement of tonal preference. These are EQ settings not speaker adjustments.
If you are scientific or want a pro type install, a laptop and REW software and a good microphone and microphone stand would let you really geek out and make graphs and see what is happening with every change you make to any of the settings and to the room itself. Good luck! :)

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
You can try them out and pick your favorite or tweak the manual one. I have been happy with natural but you may prefer something else. A spl meter isn’t necessary. Your ears are the best measurement of tonal preference. These are EQ settings not speaker adjustments.
If you are scientific or want a pro type install, a laptop and REW software and a good microphone and microphone stand would let you really geek out and make graphs and see what is happening with every change you make to any of the settings and to the room itself. Good luck! :)
I noticed in the natural setting that only the Front LRC Have changed on the EQ scale but the rest remain as they are in the manual starting points. I guess if I wanted to I could copy the natural setting and apply them manually then play with the rest of the speakers settings, is there any value in doing this ?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not for me but get it to where you like it. I did work construction for a few years so my ears are not perfect... But I do have them cleaned each year..., LOL :)
My 2060 is better than my 681 and yes that 3070 will be better than the 675. I had the RXV3300 and it sounded very much like the 2060 to my ears at least.

U

USAWARRIOR

Enthusiast
Not for me but get it to where you like it. I did work construction for a few years so my ears are not perfect... But I do have them cleaned each year..., LOL :)
My 2060 is better than my 681 and yes that 3070 will be better than the 675. I had the RXV3300 and it sounded very much like the 2060 to my ears at least.
Thank you for answering the OP and my questions here. I will keep in mind on receivers but the 675 is what I have for now but pleased with it especially on a purchase $ next to nothing I feel it's pushing the speakers nicely. Cheers

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Just played myself yesterday with ypao. It seems to me something might have changed in the x070 series. Natural and especially Flat now give much brighter results than before. Is that a marketing thing?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The Natural setting tames the brightness compared to the Flat setting. Gene spoke about this in his video review of the Yamaha CX A5100. But I don't think it tamed the brightness quite enough for him, if I remember correctly. So he used the manual Eq. Me, I'm leaving well enough alone. I don't have the skill to Eq manually. I went back and forth between Natural and Flat or a while, and finally settled on Natural. To me it is less bright than Flat.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I almost went with the 3060 but did the 2060. If they ever make one with hdmi 2.1 then a 3000 or 5000 series might get my attention... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis