RX-V375 Headroom and FS speakers

N

Neuroguy

Audiophyte
Hi All

I just recently got a yamaha RX-375 receiver. I'm pretty happy with it so far, especially considering the price. I'm currently driving a pair of dayton audio b652s and a pioneer sp-c21 center with it and it sounds pretty good but of course I'm looking to get something a bit better to replace the Daytons (I'll use them as surrounds). I'm interested in the Pioneer SP-fs52's ( I know probably like the millionth post regarding these speakers:eek:) In any case I know this receiver is pretty modest power wise- I think it's rated at about 70 watts per channel and I'm sure that's a very liberal reading - is it wise to look at floor standing speakers with a receiver like this? In particular these pioneers are rated at a nominal 6 ohms so I'm thinking they will draw more current which might be an issue playing these speakers at good volume. Don't get me wrong I'm not blasting these things ( I live in an apartment with neighbors to side and above) However I just want to know if the RX-375 will be sufficient to feed the pioneers or any decent floors standing speaker a decent amount of clean power or if I should look more into bookshelf speakers with less drivers and therefore lower power needs? I guess I should add that I'm not using a sub because of neighbors so I need to power the full range of the speakers I'm using.

Thanks for any input!

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
When I had my Pioneers set up, I was running them with a RX-473 and I had no problems driving them to high volumes.

N

Neuroguy

Audiophyte
When I had my Pioneers set up, I was running them with a RX-473 and I had no problems driving them to high volumes.
Hey Jimz711,

When you had your Pioneers set up did you change the receiver settings to 6 ohm?

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
No, it made no sonic difference I could determine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't tried my 52s on a smaller amp, but I get pretty good output from the BS22s with a very small amp and they are 6 Ohm also. 70W would be adequate if you understand when you need to turn it down if the sound begins to distort. That's the only risk, so if your typical listening level does not sound strained, it should be fine with that amount of power. When they get put into their new home, mine will be driven by my Marantz PM7200 which is rated at 95W.

N

Neuroguy

Audiophyte
I haven't tried my 52s on a smaller amp, but I get pretty good output from the BS22s with a very small amp and they are 6 Ohm also. 70W would be adequate if you understand when you need to turn it down if the sound begins to distort. That's the only risk, so if your typical listening level does not sound strained, it should be fine with that amount of power. When they get put into their new home, mine will be driven by my Marantz PM7200 which is rated at 95W.
J_garcia,

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. As I understand it amp clipping is much more dangerous than mechanical overdriving. It sounds from the your and Jimz's comments that I should get sufficient clean power, ie no amp signal compression/clipping at useable volumes, driving the SP-FS52 with the RX-V375.

Cheers

Now just to wait till I see a good sale!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis