RX V2500 Dialog Normaliztion

S

smulth

Audioholic Intern
I understand what Dialg Normalization does, what I would like to know is does the receiver do this each time I play a DD source or does the receiver retain the setting for future playings. I ask because my rx v2500 does not seem to be doing this consistently. Some DVD's it does, some it doesn't, and some DD sources (ex. digital music channels) it does it all the time.

Once again thanks for your input.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
As I understand it, it's different for each source (DVD).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
DialNorm only applies to Dolby Digital signals and happens automatically regardless of the source of the DD signal.

How did you determine that it doesn't apply it consistently? Does the display give an indication like DialNorm: -4 when you change sources?

S

smulth

Audioholic Intern
Anonymous said:
DialNorm only applies to Dolby Digital signals and happens automatically regardless of the source of the DD signal.

How did you determine that it doesn't apply it consistently? Does the display give an indication like DialNorm: -4 when you change sources?

That's the thing, it does not allways give me a 'DIAL NORM" indication. Some times it does and some times it dosen't, even with the same source "DIAL NORM" does not allways appear.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The only mention of it in the manual is on page 37:
'When this unit detects Dolby Digital signals, the following display appears for a few seconds. This shows how the signal is being corrected to become -27dB (THX recommendation)'

If it shows DialNorm: +4dB that means the DialNorm value in the bitstream said the average dialog level was -31dB and it boosted it 4dB to make it -27. If it doesn't appear then either the level was already -27dB or the bitstream didn't have a DialNorm value. The DialNorm value is optional and not always present, let alone accurate when it is present.

The Dolby site says the recommended level is -31dB. I didn't know the THX recommendation is -27dB but if Yamaha says so, it must be true. :)

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
My question to this thread is:

Is the Dial Norm a funtion which can be modified at any given time or only when using a digital source. The reason I.m asking is because I have RXV-2400 and I.ve encountered the Dial Norm at +4 only when using XBOX, but not for movies which as far as I'm concerned is the same type of digital source as Xbox (DD EX). I have yet to find anywhere in the extensive menu screen, a way to customize the DIAL NORM setting.

S

smulth

Audioholic Intern
Apparently this is supposed to be an automatic adjustment directly related to the source. there is no external controll that i know of.

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
thanks, I pretty much figured it was an auto function, but thats why we have forums like this.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I don't think I've ever seen a Dial Norm display pop up on my receiver, possibly because it is a lower-level Yamaha (RX-V750).

A second question is whether the Dial Norm setting varies from channel to channel (from my cable box). For some reason the HD CBS channel is noticeably louder than the other HD channels on my cable box (Comcast). Has anyone else experienced this with Comcast HD? (In case it matters, I am in the SF Bay area.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis