RX-A730 with on and off sound (and some popping) when turning on

F

Frank

Audiophyte
My RX-A730 has worked fine for a few years. It has developed an issue for the last two weeks. The audio is on and off for about 10 minutes, like a warming up, when it is turned on. It starts with no sound, then sound, and repeats with the on part getting longer and the off part getting shorter over time and eventually the sound becomes continuous (back to normal). There is also some popping sound from the speakers close to the beginning. The issue is not observed if it is turned on right after turning off, but easily reproducible if the AV is off for 10 minutes or longer. It appears the warming up time relates to how long the AV has been off. There are no recent speaker or cable changes.
I understand the AV has been used for a few years and probably time to get a new model. The issue is probably not self serviceable but definitely would like to understand its nature to decide the next AV vendor. I've used Yamaha for over 20 years but this issue has changed my trust on the brand.
Appreciate any advice on troubleshooting this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My RX-A730 has worked fine for a few years. It has developed an issue for the last two weeks. The audio is on and off for about 10 minutes, like a warming up, when it is turned on. It starts with no sound, then sound, and repeats with the on part getting longer and the off part getting shorter over time and eventually the sound becomes continuous (back to normal). There is also some popping sound from the speakers close to the beginning. The issue is not observed if it is turned on right after turning off, but easily reproducible if the AV is off for 10 minutes or longer. It appears the warming up time relates to how long the AV has been off. There are no recent speaker or cable changes.
I understand the AV has been used for a few years and probably time to get a new model. The issue is probably not self serviceable but definitely would like to understand its nature to decide the next AV vendor. I've used Yamaha for over 20 years but this issue has changed my trust on the brand.
Appreciate any advice on troubleshooting this.
That is a model year 2013 receiver.

I suspect the fault is in the power supply. A a guess I would suspect a voltage regulator. It is all guess work until you have it on the test bench.

It is a 2013 model year receiver. So I don't think it is worth the cost of repair. 10 to 14 years does tend to be the life of receivers. So I'm I don't think switching manufacturers is any guarantee of longer life.

I should amplify the problem further. The manufacturer does not make the individual components, but purchases them via 'jobbers'. Now electronic components come in these grades: - Commercial, automotive, aviation and defence. There are steep price increases with each grade. Reliability is increased.

Now an AV receiver is packed full. So if a component fails there will be a fault.

Now I priced a 3 volt regulator. Commercial bulk price is $0.50, and the automotive grade $2.29. So over four times the price. So if a receiver were made with automotive grade components, as required in cars, then the price of the receiver would not be affordable to most.

The other issue is obsolescence. The AV side of things is now in my view in early maturity. The technology has been advancing so fast units get out of date fast.
Your receiver is now well and truly obsolete. As this technology matures it could at some point justify the very high cost of units made with automotive grade components, but costs would probably be quadrupled at least.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consumer electronics sometimes have shorter lives. Yamaha's reputation for reliability is as good as any of the major brands (and better than some of the boutique brands). I'd probably stick to Yamaha/Marantz/Denon for the most part, maybe Pionkyo....

F

Frank

Audiophyte
My bad. I did not realize my RX-A730 is that old (never pay attention to it until it fails). In that case, it looks like RX-V6A is the model to replace it. Thanks for offering your insights.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis