Running 12/4 wire to a surround/upfiring combo speaker?

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
I'm laying the groundwork for reinstalling my HT after a downstairs remodel. I'm trying to reduce the number of wires running to my 5.2.4 system. My rear surrounds are NHT MS Satellites (surround with up-firing driver combo) and will require roughly 40ft of wire from the AVR (due to the indirect route I must take).

This is very likely a dumb question, but would I have any issue running a single 12/4 wire and just splitting the strands into pairs to connect? That way, both speakers in each unit could connect using a single jacketed wire without having to run 2 separate pairs of 12/2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, lovinthehd. It’ll be run along the baseboards, so trying to reduce the amount of wire to tactfully hide. Appreciate the quick reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might search for cable raceways to help hide it, or are you removing baseboards and tucking it in?

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
Might search for cable raceways to help hide it, or are you removing baseboards and tucking it in?
Had raceways in my previous installation, and it tore up the paint and drywall when I went to remove it for our flooring replacement. I’ll take another look at what’s out there now. Luckily, there’s not going to be a lot of exposed baseboard where the wire will be run, but the small section that is visible is unavoidable to walk past and see.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
do you really believe you can send two speaker signals into one speaker wire?
pretty sure you need a speaker wire for each speaker. even if theres a combined ear level speaker and the gimmick upfiing in the same enclousre. thats why it has TWO sets of binding posts etc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
12/4 is probably overkill unless it is like a 100ft run. 14/4 is likely more than enough, but if you have the 12/4 already, then have at it :) Yes, it should work.

Hmmm I guess you are borderline with 6 Ohm nominal, but they are surround/atmos, so they won't have as much activity as a main.

pretty sure you need a speaker wire for each speaker. even if theres a combined ear level speaker and the gimmick upfiing in the same enclousre. thats why it has TWO sets of binding posts etc.
It sounds like it would be one 12/4 per speaker?

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
Oh, totally agree that the upfiring is gimmicky. However, since I had the channels from the AVR, but wasn’t planning on putting in ceiling speakers, decided to pull the trigger on those when they were on sale. Plus, they’ve got a much more pleasing footprint on the wall based on where they’ll be mounted.

And perhaps it’s placebo, but while it’s not truly directional sound like dedicated ceiling speakers, the ceiling bounce provides a noticeable height to the rear soundstage IMO.

Each surround box has two speakers, and 4 binding posts. The 12/4 would be split, so 2 wires per speaker in each box.

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
12/4 is probably overkill unless it is like a 100ft run. 14/4 is likely more than enough, but if you have the 12/4 already, then have at it :) Yes, it should work.

Hmmm I guess you are borderline with 6 Ohm nominal, but they are surround/atmos, so they won't have as much activity as a main.

It sounds like it would be one 12/4 per speaker?
Yeah, I was thinking I could probably get away with 14AWG, but the cost difference was minimal. Figured I’d go ahead and leave no doubt.

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
Oh, totally agree that the upfiring is gimmicky. However, since I had the channels from the AVR, but wasn’t planning on putting in ceiling speakers, decided to pull the trigger on those when they were on sale. Figured they’d match well with the LCR, given the same brand. Plus, they’ve got a much more pleasing footprint on the wall based on where they’ll be mounted.

And perhaps it’s placebo, but while it’s not truly directional sound like dedicated ceiling speakers, the ceiling bounce provides a noticeable height to the rear soundstage IMO.

Each surround box has two speakers, and 4 binding posts. The 12/4 would be split, so 2 wires per speaker in each box.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, two sets of binding posts are used for bi-wiring purposes but it's a waste of time and cable, same for bi-amping for most situations. There's no sound improvement contrarily to what some sellers are saying.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
No, two sets of binding posts are used for bi-wiring purposes but it's a waste of time and cable, same for bi-amping for most situations. There's no sound improvement contrarily to what some sellers are saying.
I was mainly referring to those that have the combination upfiring built in speakers.

I'm fully aware of the idea of 2 sets of binding posts on a bookshelf or tower without upfiring built in is used for bi-Amping.

Look at the speakers this guy has. There's one set of binding posts for the regular speaker and another set for the upfiring.

The bi-amping you mentioned is irrelevant in this case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, totally agree that the upfiring is gimmicky. However, since I had the channels from the AVR, but wasn’t planning on putting in ceiling speakers, decided to pull the trigger on those when they were on sale. Plus, they’ve got a much more pleasing footprint on the wall based on where they’ll be mounted.

I am using upfiring speakers and it works fine.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...after a downstairs remodel. ....
My first question is wondering how this wasn't a PART of the remodel itself? Open up the walls, run the wiring behind them, then close up the walls and paint. You never have to think about wiring again if this is done properly during the remodeling process.

But, as others have said, using 12/4 is just like using two sets of 12/2 wiring.

P

PIR8

Enthusiast
My first question is wondering how this wasn't a PART of the remodel itself? Open up the walls, run the wiring behind them, then close up the walls and paint. You never have to think about wiring again if this is done properly during the remodeling process.

But, as others have said, using 12/4 is just like using two sets of 12/2 wiring.
I wish it was that kind of remodel. We had our floors redone due to some water damage. I had ripped out some built in shelves I. Holy about 9 years ago when we first moved in. Was never really happy with the work, so I took this opportunity to build new ones with the woodworking experience I gained since last time.

But I’m with you… next house is gonna be wired to the hilt.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis